Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Nova Cat  (Read 39372 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Mech of the Week: Nova Cat
« Reply #90 on: 14 December 2013, 04:04:23 »
I might have missed it . . . but did anyone mention if/where the Nova Cat would still be under construction?  Pretty sure I remember something about the Sharks trading for some quite a while ago, but . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #91 on: 14 December 2013, 08:47:19 »
Where might one find the review of the Cauldron-born? Great article by the way for a darn potent mech.
The entire Fan Article directory can be found here. But at the moment there's none available for the Cauldron-born. And thanks.

I might have missed it . . . but did anyone mention if/where the Nova Cat would still be under construction?  Pretty sure I remember something about the Sharks trading for some quite a while ago, but . . .
For what it's worth, the Nova Cat crops up in the RATs of FM: 3145 and ER:3145, though sparsely. Heck, I don't think we've had any verification that production continued after the Second Combine-Dominion War. Never mind whether it continued/restarted in the 3130s.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #92 on: 14 December 2013, 10:20:11 »
I did remember it on the RATs.  The Sphinx, being designed as a Omni might be the best indicator we have at this time.  A lot of the 'Omni' producing parts would be in common- programmable gyro, Omni fittings, etc.

Might also be why the Nova Cats did not hurry over the Avalanche.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #93 on: 14 December 2013, 12:43:20 »
The 'feathers' are the flashes of light from those Night Gyrs fitted with Laser Heat Sinks.
The Dark Age era falcon mechs are totem mechs.
I think people are really stretching their imaginations to see bird elements in the Night Gyr, just because they want to forcibly include them in the 'Totem Mech' category.
People really stretch the definition of 'Totem Mech' to begin with as is.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #94 on: 14 December 2013, 20:34:45 »
A mech can be totem in name and status alone (the Timber Wolf never looked like a wolf, the Grizzle never looked like a bear, the Nova Cat never had cat ears, ect)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 14 December 2013, 21:07:35 »
The Timber Wolf, Grizzly, and Nova Cat were never totem 'Mechs in the modern definition of the term, and for all of the reasons you just mentioned.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 14 December 2013, 21:11:32 »
The Timber Wolf, Grizzly, and Nova Cat were never totem 'Mechs in the modern definition of the term, and for all of the reasons you just mentioned.
I think the modern term is kinda goofy, a mech should be judged on more than just appearance.
(that said, rule of cool trumps all :D )

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #97 on: 14 December 2013, 21:36:36 »
Hey, it may not be a "Totem" Mech, but to me it's still THE iconically Nova Cat Mech (although I'm sure plenty here would argue the Shadow Cat deserves the title).
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #98 on: 14 December 2013, 22:12:44 »
Hey, it may not be a "Totem" Mech, but to me it's still THE iconically Nova Cat Mech (although I'm sure plenty here would argue the Shadow Cat deserves the title).
My personal preference demands that said honor goes to the Huntsman and I have an exert from page 61 of ER: 3052 to back me up.

the fast and potent Huntsman—perhaps the quintessential Nova Cat [I absolutely didn't delete the word "medium" here just to prove my point] ’Mech—

See, irrefutable proof.

Back to the "totally not a totem 'Mech at least per the 'it is a visual representation for that which it is named after' definition" Nova Cat.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #99 on: 16 December 2013, 08:36:16 »
A mech can be totem in name and status alone (the Timber Wolf never looked like a wolf, the Grizzle never looked like a bear, the Nova Cat never had cat ears, ect)
...no. No it cant.

'Totem mech' is an In Universe term for mechs built using a specific design philosophy, incoporating design elements of the Clan's particular totem animal, often to the units detriment. It has nothing to do with the name of the design, and it has nothing to do with the status of the mech, either. In Universe, it was actually seen as a bit of a failure and we've only seen it brought back fairly recently, often for morale purposes.

As much as certain Clan fans like to use the term to denote equipment that is 'theirs', it's a misappropriation. The fact your faction uses it a lot doesnt make it a Totem mech. A unit having a symbolic name does not make it a Totem mech either. That's not to say a mech cant be symbolic to your clan for those reasons, but it doesnt make it a totem mech. For a modern example, it's like claiming the F-15 Eagle is a Totem Fighter for the US because its national bird is the bald eagle.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #100 on: 16 December 2013, 09:27:36 »
The entire Fan Article directory can be found here. But at the moment there's none available for the Cauldron-born. And thanks.
For what it's worth, the Nova Cat crops up in the RATs of FM: 3145 and ER:3145, though sparsely. Heck, I don't think we've had any verification that production continued after the Second Combine-Dominion War. Never mind whether it continued/restarted in the 3130s.

It appears to still be in production in the homeworlds last we saw them... pretty sure the Cobras have whatever is left of production (based on RATs).

To the patient go the spoils

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 31 December 2013, 17:41:30 »
The Night Gyr has a prominent beak under the cockpit and feathers on its back. When painted accordingly, it looks like a bird. That's why I think of the Night Gyr as a totem mech. It's got bird features whereas most other clan omnis are strictly utilitarian.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 31 December 2013, 22:01:42 »
The Night Gyr has a prominent beak under the cockpit and feathers on its back. When painted accordingly, it looks like a bird. That's why I think of the Night Gyr as a totem mech. It's got bird features whereas most other clan omnis are strictly utilitarian.
Since when?  I've never seen anything like that on any artwork or mini.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 31 December 2013, 23:45:39 »
Perhaps this is a argument better left for a Fan Article regarding the Night Gyr considering this thread is suppose to be about the Nova Cat. ;D

I do hope to see more Nova Cats in the future though after the last series of TRO's, we are more likely to see it's replacement.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #104 on: 01 January 2014, 00:22:02 »
Perhaps this is a argument better left for a Fan Article regarding the Night Gyr considering this thread is suppose to be about the Nova Cat. ;D

I do hope to see more Nova Cats in the future though after the last series of TRO's, we are more likely to see it's replacement.

Only see new ones if the Sea Fox has them in th Protectorate I guess it's more likely to see the "Spirit Cat" (shudders) replacement
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 01 January 2014, 00:41:57 »
The continuation of the Nova Cat in one form or another would be a awesome tribute for the Clan that first created the beast. 

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #106 on: 03 January 2014, 02:28:37 »
The continuation of the Nova Cat in one form or another would be a awesome tribute for the Clan that first created the beast.

So long as it's not the Dracs making it, I'm all for it. She's a nasty piece of Omni tech if ever there was one.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #107 on: 03 January 2014, 07:32:33 »
So long as it's not the Dracs making it, I'm all for it. She's a nasty piece of Omni tech if ever there was one.

Agreed, I'd like to see the Sea Foxes having acquired the plant and moved it.  Honestly the Nova Cat/Night Gyr cousins are not quite as good with the the new 5/8 clan omnis in the DA era.  They could both use a refresh of their own.

To the patient go the spoils

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 04 January 2014, 01:20:10 »
Be a little ironic if the 'Bears made one to kill Dracs ;)

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #109 on: 04 January 2014, 02:42:20 »
Be a little ironic if the 'Bears made one to kill Dracs ;)

Hm, that makes me wonder if the Bears could have wound up with the production line.  It must have been fairly close to the border so I am wondering if we might have been able to grab it at some point.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #110 on: 04 January 2014, 15:22:21 »
Hm, that makes me wonder if the Bears could have wound up with the production line.  It must have been fairly close to the border so I am wondering if we might have been able to grab it at some point.

While it wouldn't be my first choice of where the Nova Cat would end up, I'd kinda be okay with it.

I remember back when I still had a copy of FM: Warden Clans, on the cover was a Nova Cat in Ghost Bear colors fighting a bunch of Elementals (or something like that, anyway), and it always bugged me.  "DAMMIT THE TRO SAYS THAT THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOVA CATS ARE NOVA CATS!"*  So this would retroactively justify it in my mind.

*Yes, I know, salvage, ToPs, Clan-onomics, just let me have this, okay?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 04 January 2014, 15:37:47 »
While it wouldn't be my first choice of where the Nova Cat would end up, I'd kinda be okay with it.

I remember back when I still had a copy of FM: Warden Clans, on the cover was a Nova Cat in Ghost Bear colors fighting a bunch of Elementals (or something like that, anyway), and it always bugged me.  "DAMMIT THE TRO SAYS THAT THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOVA CATS ARE NOVA CATS!"*  So this would retroactively justify it in my mind.

I know what you mean, although the Nova Cat was fairly common among the Bears.  Probably because the Combine decided to grind the Cats to death against the Dominion. :P

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 04 January 2014, 20:25:46 »

Original fluff stated that the Timber Wolf was rarly seen in numbers outside of Can Wolf yet ever Clan seem to have plenty to use whilke terrizing the IS ;D

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #113 on: 04 January 2014, 20:55:02 »

Thinking about it, it always used to bug me that we never saw color artwork of a Nova Cat in Nova Cat colors.