Author Topic: (Answered) Advanced Building Questions (Facing & PV)  (Read 2942 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
(Answered) Advanced Building Questions (Facing & PV)
« on: 01 January 2017, 21:19:26 »
Basic rules for buildings are in AS on pages 83-85.  Rules for armed and/or armored non-mobile buildings are in ASC on pages 24-26.

Of relevance to my first set of questions is the following rule:

Quote from: Alpha Strike Companion: Armored Buildings.  Paragraph 2 (1st Paragraph, page 26)
During game play, the armor value for each exposed facing
of an armored building must be tracked separately. As long as
a facing still possesses any armor, unfriendly non-infantry units
cannot enter or pass through the building walls, nor can their
attacks deliver any damage to the armored buildings CF, or to
any units inside. Unfriendly infantry units can attempt to enter an
armored building as if they were boarding an exceptionally large
unit type (see pp. 98-99, AS).

Q1) Should an advanced building always be assumed to have 4 facings of equal size (linked to the 4 cardinal directions of the game table) plus "top" for 5 total facings, or should the number and size of each of a building's facings be determined by the shape of the model itself? (perhaps a pyramid with 3 sides and no top, or a Spherical building having 2 sides of left/right, etc)

I presume the answer to questions 2-5 are "No", but I am looking for confirmation.

Q2) When a unit has LOS to multiple facings of the building, are there any restrictions on which facing an attacking unit may target?
Q3) Are there any additional penalties involved for an attack against a facing that is within LOS but is not the "most directly" prominent facing?
Q4) Are armored walls considered to have a "top" facing?
Q5) If a unit is the target of an attack and is within an armored building that has lost armor on the facing that the attacker's LOS passes through, is that unit still immune to that attack's damage because the building "still has armor" on at least one facing?

The ASC errata doc establishes Advanced Buildings as a distinct entity from Mobile Structures with regards to conversion from TW to AS.  However there is still no mention of advanced buildings in the PV conversion rules.  You can't really use Mobile Structures rules for PV for buildings; they have way more CF than Mobile Structures have structure and would result in dramatically over-priced buildings in PV.

Q6) Are there any plans to publish rules for assigning PV to armed and/or armored buildings?
« Last Edit: 03 January 2017, 14:52:23 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Advanced Building Questions (Facing & PV)
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2017, 21:48:11 »
1. Facings are dependent on the shape of the building, same as Weapon Placement on p25.  Most building would have four, but a three sided building is possible, and the two-facing sphere would be fine, except including a top facing for the sphere as well.  The major thing is that they should match (weapon placement facings and armor facings).  And should have at least two facings plus the top.
2. A building can be targeted on any facing the attacker can draw LOS to.
3. Nope.
4. All buildings, including walls, have a top facing.
5. Dependent on the facing the line of sight crosses.  If the target is partially covered by armored walls, then follow the standard line of sight rules, with the still armored walls blocking line of sight.  IE. If less than a third of the target is visible through non-armored facings, then line of sight is blocked.  This can give partial cover to the target.
6. My ability to serve as an oracle is limited.  Suggestions have been made, so far nothing has been released.  I don't know if/when/what/etc will happen in the future.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2017, 22:22:11 »
Thanks for the speedy answers!

I realize I forgot to ask one additional question, so I'll tack it on if that's ok.

Additional question relating to the timing of armor being present on a building.

Does damage from a successful attack in excess of a building's armor qualify for damaging units inside?  I presume "No", since the armor isn't destroyed until the end phase.  So theoretically, even if you did 10 damage to 1 point of armor and 9 got through to CF and any unit inside.. that 9 overflow damage can't harm any units or CF inside because there was still armor on that facing, correct?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2017, 00:06:58 »
Armor damage is not itself a damage effect that is delayed to turn End Phase.  As soon as the armor is gone, the facing has no armor.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets