Author Topic: (Answered) ASCE - Role requirements - Fire Support Squadron  (Read 2137 times)

FrozenIceman

• Recruit
(Answered) ASCE - Role requirements - Fire Support Squadron
« on: 06 September 2019, 00:52:47 »
It appears that with the alternate formation requirements removed in ASCE we are unable to select certain formations.  In the AS Companion on page 137 the minimum requirements for a role were defined (as well as the role stamped on the card).  Either you could meet the minimum requirements or you could use the role printed on the card.

The issue is that ASCE removed the minimum requirements section completely.  For the Fire Support Squadron you need fighters with the Fire Support Role... after going through several factions and eras I am unable to find a single Air Unit with the Fire Support Role (usually they are attack).  The result is that the Fire Support Squadron can't be used.  ASCE page 27, 112, 114, and 122.

Was this intentional or is there a planned work around?
« Last Edit: 15 September 2019, 17:41:42 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: ASCE - Role requirements - Fire Support Squadron
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2019, 17:37:10 »
I think you are misunderstanding p137 of ASC.
A unit can only have one role.  p137 were guidelines (not rules) for assigning a role to a new and/or custom unit.  They do not allow you to have an alternative to the role already assigned to a unit.
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=&MaxIntro=&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=Fire-support&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=
61 fighters with Fire-Support role (I do see that I need to remove the dash from the MUL roles so it matches the rulebook).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

FrozenIceman

• Recruit
Re: (Answered) ASCE - Role requirements - Fire Support Squadron
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2019, 22:24:59 »
Hmm interesting, that appears to mean that less than 11% of the aerospace units available contain the Fire Support Squadron.  Of those only 21 of those air frames are available before the Jihad.  12 of them are for the IS.  Of them only 2 are tagged as IS general (medium Strike Fighter 1 and 2)... neither have a produced model unfortunately.

Could there be plans to list multiple roles for a unit card to avoid the current situation we find ourselves?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2019, 06:37:04 »
No. There will only be one role per unit.

There are no where near as many fighters as mechs, the choices will always be much more limited.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

FrozenIceman

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2019, 11:35:01 »
Indeed, and it doesn't help that the Air Squadrons are treated differently from the ground formations in the sense that the "ideal role" doesn't serve as a bypass to the formation requirements (such as minimum movement speed, damage in range brackets, size, ect in accordance with ASCE116) and instead the ideal role is the only requirement to meet the formation requirements.

I assume there is no intention of expanding air formations requirements in the future (otherwise the battle lance seems to be the clear winner for air formations)?
« Last Edit: 16 September 2019, 12:12:39 by FrozenIceman »