Author Topic: (Answered) (Errata) AS:CE same turn Move/Effect/Move combos  (Read 1345 times)

BTGuderian

• Private
Several effects in the AS:CE seem to have wording that on their face permits, or at least does not exclude, a unit from moving, activating some ability, then continuing to move, however the wording is ambiguous and has lead to disagreement among players.

As an organizer of local AS tournaments I am seeking clarification if this is design intent, and an official ruling on whether this is a mechanic that is allowed in the rules. Either way, I would request a change of wording to make the decision explicit, rather than leaving players to parse linguistic logic and engage in assumptive exegesis.

Below are some examples that have come up, though there could well be others we have not yet discovered that pose the same questions.

Examples:
SPA Antagonizer, Combat Intuition & Demoralizer, AS:CE p.92-93.
SCA Overrun Combat, AS:CE p.107

Antagonizer:
"Once per turn, a unit with Antagonizer may trigger its ability at any single point along its path while moving. At that time..."

For example, can a unit move, trigger the ability forcing enemy units to move towards it (effectively drawing those units out of position), then continue to move?

Demoralizer:
"Every enemy unit that comes within 6” of a unit using this SPA..."

For example, can a fast unit zig-zag through enemy lines, forcing several enemy units to make the roll, then continue moving after each roll?

Combat Intuition:
"If this unit’s side wins Initiative, the unit whose pilot has this SPA can move and resolve all of its attacks during the Movement Phase, applying all damage effects immediately—before any target units can act."

For example, can a unit move, interrupt move to fire, then continue to complete movement. The linguistic logic of the wording here seems particularly leading, as it states that the attacks are resolved DURING movement and not AFTER movement, implying that movement occurs before and after the attack. However this wording is somewhat ambiguous and should be made explicit to avoid arguments.

SCA: Overrun Combat, AS:CE p.107
"This becomes the number of units the player may move and attack with before any other units can act in the current turn."

Can the affected units take their move/attacks in any order and can they move before and after the attack? This wording is deeply ambiguous, offering no guidance for how the move/attack is implemented other than that it is "before any other units."

Official rulings on this mechanic would be greatly appreciated. I have no particular vested interest in any outcome, I just want official rulings to provide clarity and avoid argumentations at the table or during a tournament.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2023, 12:14:18 by Xotl »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: AS:CE same turn Move/Effect/Move combos permitted?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2022, 16:42:35 »
Yes, rules that say they can be mixing with movement can be mixed.  As you've shown.
Generally, rules say which phase they happen in.  Movement happens in movement, attacks in combat, etc.  You can't mix phases (generally you can't move, attack, then move, as movement is in movement phase, and attacks are in combat phase.)
But once in a phase, you can mix the actions in a phase as you like, unless there's a specific exception.  Mounting/dismounting happen during movement but have specific instructions for how other movement has to happen before/after.

Combat Intuition and Overrun, the "move and attack" should be in that order.  Not move/attack/move.  I'll take a look at possible clarification errata there.
Antagonizer and Demoralizer, yes, as you've stated, these abilities can be triggered in the middle of a unit's movement.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

BTGuderian

• Private
Re: AS:CE same turn Move/Effect/Move combos permitted?
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2022, 17:21:21 »
Combat Intuition and Overrun, the "move and attack" should be in that order.  Not move/attack/move.  I'll take a look at possible clarification errata there.
Antagonizer and Demoralizer, yes, as you've stated, these abilities can be triggered in the middle of a unit's movement.

Many thanks. So I will view this as an official in-term ruling that Combat Intuition and Overrun must be in move/attack sequence not move/attack/move sequence, and await final wording during the next revision cycle. Fabulous! Problem solved, thanks again! :)