Author Topic: Tales of the Black Widow-Widows vs ELH, Alpha Strike rules (Pic Heavy)  (Read 5565 times)

mhal9000

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
New Aberdeen, 3023

Wolf's Dragoons, under Kurita contract, have been engaged in a series of skirmishes on planet with elements of the Eridani Light Horse. After months of constant skirmishing that was more damaging to nerves than man and equipment, the Black Widow company manages to draw a full company of ELH mech forces into an ambush.

The Eridani company is going to try extricating themselves from the battlefield, with 10 points being assigned for each mech that escapes and 5 points for each Widow mech destroyed; 50 extra points are given if they are able to drop Kerensky's Warhammer and still have units escape the board.
The Widows get 10 points for each ELH unit destroyed and 10 points for each one of their operational machines at the end of the game.
Highest point value wins, the game ends when all ELH units are destroyed or exited off the opposite end of the map they started on.

First off, props to HeavyGun for his Widows paint job! My cell phone camera does it no justice, but they looked great on the board!

Round One - The Widows spring their trap and the Eridani company, caught with their pants down, spend the first turn watching the oncoming forces of the Black Widow and not doing much else...

Uh-Oh...

Round Two - The ELH commander issues the order to retreat, he knows they're outgunned and as badly as he wants to stay and fight, the Widows have his force significantly outmatched. That isn't to say a little bloody nose or two on the way by isn't in order though. All units begin evasive maneuvers.

Round Three-
The Black Widow herself draws first blood this round, connecting with an unlucky wasp and denuding it of armor protection completely

Round Four- Some of the heavier Eridani mechs cease evasive maneuvers once they get into range, ostensibly to focus attention on them instead of the lighter mechs still attempting to make their getaway. In reality, Company Commander Stedman really, really wants to bloody up the Widows. A Shadow Hawk connects with a Widows Crusader, burning some armor plating but not doing any appreciable damage. In response, the Crusader gave back better than he received.  On the other side of the field, a ELH Phoenix Hawk attempted to pummel a Widows Stinger but missed. The earlier Wasp who Natasha K herself had hit, now found itself targeted by nearly a quarter of the Widows force. While lady luck might have ducked out on him earlier, she was riding in the cockpit with him this round, as all of them missed their shots.

Round Five - The Black Widows open fire in earnest, but miss the majority of their shots. One ELH Phoenix Hawk takes minor damage, but the mech stays at 100% operational status. An ELH Stinger manages to get a back shot on a Widow's Wasp, coring through its armor and ruining its main weapon system.

Round Six - More fire is sent downrange by the Widows, most of the Eridani force continues to use evasive maneuvers; preventing their ability to return fire. An ELH Stinger and both Phoenix Hawks are hit by ambushing fire, putting one of the Phoenix Hawks in a very precarious position with no armor

Round Seven -Multiple ELH forces, now abreast of the Widow forces, drop their evasive maneuvering and prepare to fight! Natasha herself has a solid hit landed on her by an ELH Griffin, a Widows Crusader gets more armor scoured off and a Widows Marauder gets savaged by dual back shots from a ELH Stinger and Wasp. The Marauder stays operational, but its armor is in tatters. One of the ELH Stingers receives a devastating salvo from a Widow's Archer and the light machine crumples into a burning heap. Another ELH Wasp is savaged by the second Widow's Archer, burning through armor but not hitting any critical systems. Several ELH mechs leave the board this round, missing their armor, but still operational.

Round Eight - Thoughts of retreat briefly put aside, more attempts to down Kerenky's big Warhammer are attempted by ELH forces. They missed their mark, but in the words of Commander Stedman later: "Oh we made her dance though, we may not have dropped her, but we made her dance..." An ELH Stinger connects with a Widow's Wasp, but can't penetrate internally with its salvo. The Widow's Marauder isn't as lucky, now joined by a third light ELH machine all three open fire on the bird legged mech. Two manage to hit, coring into the engine with one shot and gaming a leg with the other. The venerable design isn't down, but it's certainly seen much better days. A Widow's Archer reached out to one of its earlier targets and created a smoking crater where once stood an Eridani Wasp, while the second Archer picked out a previously undamaged Stinger and helped it out of its armor plating.

Round Nine - The Marauder makes a forced retreat off the board, scoring points for the ELH. More attempts are made to Kerensky's mech, but all the ELH forces manage to do this round is blast off more armor plate from a Phoenix Hawk. The Widow's however, were much more productive with their time. A Griffin and Archer both gang up on the EHL Griffin, punching through armor and dropping the medium design with their combined fire. Another ELH Wasp has its armor winnowed down by a Widow Stinger but stays standing.

Round Ten - One of the Stingers attempts a Death From Above on Natasha Kerensky's Warhammer. We're not sure what the pilot was thinking, we was unable to eject when it became apparent that his maneuver wasn't going to work and he and his Stinger were turned into a burning pile of scrap at the big black Warhammer's feet. Other ELH units attempted to hit "Big K" as they had taken to calling her, but all missed. The ELH forces still on the board got savaged, with the Shadow Hawk taking multiple shots with critical damage to its weapon alignment system. One ELH Wasp fell to combined fire, the other had multiple leg actuators damaged, slowing it down considerably.

Round Eleven - Last turn, the remaining ELH forces make a run for it, their attempt to down the Black Widow herself having gone horrendously wrong. The last ELH unit on the board at this turn is a Shadow Hawk, and the Archer facing off against it drops it unceremoniously.

Overview: We weren't sure how this was going to play out. We certainly (Blackjack and I were running the ELH forces) could have just run off the end of the board with potentially all of our units intact, but we still would have lost the game from point values. Dropping Natasha was a huge point gain to be made if we could have pulled it off. Perhaps we should have used different tactics? One thing that certainly helped us out was HeavyGun's dice rolls. He was getting pretty bummed out midway through the game at the pure amount of misses, and we're not talking missing by rolling a two when you needed an 11; he was missing by rolling a 8 or 9 when he needed a 9 or 10 to hit. Most of his rolls were great, and if we hadn't been evading for a good chunk of the game he would have eaten us alive with his rolls. All in all it was a fun game, we're planning on doing a city battle next month and will probably be kicking off some sort of campaign at that time. We're thinking of starting it in the late succession war era and moving up through the timeline from there. For those who couldn't make it this time around, we'll get another game scheduled, probably for mid-late January (weather permitting). Thanks again to Blackjack for supplying most of the ELH force, to HeavyGun for his meticulously painted and played Black Widow company and to Gamer's Haven for providing a venue for our little brawl! Once again, I had a lot of fun and it feels good to get back into playing Battletech after so many years "in the desert"(literally and figuratively)

CDT Agent #693, Wichita, KS.

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
It was a great game and a lot of fun. But man I cannot believe my dice rolls though, I have never seen that many missed dice throws, one stinger had like 7 or 8 shots at him, all missed by 1 or 2, very hard to hit evading mechs.

By the way I made dowel sticks for range with each range different color, I thinked they worked great.

Thanks for the AAR MHal was fun to read can't wait for next month.
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
I knew that being a mech hoarder would pay off some day!

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
The game looked fun.  How did the advance rules work?  I think maybe we should try to video the next one :D

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

mhal9000

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
The game looked fun.  How did the advance rules work?  I think maybe we should try to video the next one :D

Evasive maneuvers makes an already difficult to hit fast mover even more difficult. Of course the offset is that it can't fire back. Tried a DFA too, and failed gloriously! If I could have landed that shot it would have done significant damage to "Big K's" Warhammer, even forced a crit roll regardless of armor. It was worth a shot even though I know my dice hate me.

Papabees

• Lieutenant
Looks good. I love that terrain.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
Those mechs look great could you post more pictures of them?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
That is one sweet board!
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Very cool. What advanced/optional/home rules did you use, specifically? How long did the game run? What were the PVs of each side? (Did you grab the ELH units from one of the Hoff scenarios from Tales of the Black Widows, or from the ELH Mercs Handbook roster, or pick them yourself?)
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

mhal9000

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Very cool. What advanced/optional/home rules did you use, specifically? How long did the game run? What were the PVs of each side? (Did you grab the ELH units from one of the Hoff scenarios from Tales of the Black Widows, or from the ELH Mercs Handbook roster, or pick them yourself?)

For this game one particular rule stood out, previously we had been using the introductory rules for the first few games to ease into Alpha Strike's "flow". The biggest impact on this game was:
Evading -All units may choose to use Evasive movement during the Movement Phase. Evading does not change the unit’s normal Move (or Thrust) rates or terrain restrictions, but an evading unit cannot execute attacks of any kind. In exchange, all attacks against the evading unit will apply an additional to hit modifier based on the unit’s Skill rating, as shown in the Advanced Target Movement Modifiers Table. -This made nearly all of our units exceptionally difficult to hit, even when they closed into short range. Huge boon for this scenario, until we decided to stop evading... :D

We started the game close to noon and we were wrapped up before 5pm. As usual, we had people stop by to see what we were playing and we did our fair share of conversing too. That's part of the fun though, hopefully we're going to pull a few players from back in the day into the game again w/these tactics!

I didn't even look at PV for this game to be honest, we pulled the BW mechs straight out of the scenario pack and for the Eridani I went through MUL and pulled introductory variants for each of the mechs spelled out for this particular campaign. Looking at what the ELH took in, we were running with approximately 76 points for 11 mechs total. It looks like the BW mechs totaled around 123 points (12 mechs) without taking into account upgraded piloting scores for the Widows from the scenario pack. The deck was definitely stacked against the ELH on this one, but the idea was to run away in the end. We just tried to score some points and paid for our temerity there at the end of the game.

« Last Edit: 16 December 2013, 20:36:28 by mhal9000 »

mhal9000

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
That is one sweet board!

Thanks to our host for that board, they've got a nice selection of terrain and boards to choose from. We'd been talking about playing a game on this one for a bit, too bad I couldn't have knocked someone into the lava...

mhal9000

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant

I'll see what I've got lying around, of course HeavyGun was talking about taking some pics and posting them in the minis section...maybe if we ask him nicely he'll do just that!

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals

Pictures are here:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,35718.0.html
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

Register