Author Topic: Help a confused newbie: Mechs and Skills  (Read 1734 times)

Perram

Help a confused newbie: Mechs and Skills
« on: 30 June 2012, 21:13:18 »
I'm trying to learn this game... but I'm having a lot of trouble understanding it.

I'm wanting to play a game using the RPG rules where my players are Mech Pilots.  Pretty simple, right?  Well... not all that much!

• So... I got the A Time of War and... there are no Mech stats in the book!
  • So then I get Total Warfare... and... still no Mech stats...
  • And finally I get the 3050 upgrade book because that is Era I want to play.

I finally figured out how Gunning and the Pilot skill work to be converted to T.W.  But now I can't even find the COST in C-Bills of these Mechs!

• The 3050 book only lists Battle Value...
  • Total Warfare doesn't mention C-Bills at all...
  • And the RP book doesn't mention Battle Value at all...
  • I'm getting beyond confused and feeling very very lost.

And also: Can characters only purchase skill that their Life Path gives them?  Or can they spind their points picking up extra skills that the Life Path doesn't give them?

Any help appreciated.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Help a confused newbie: Mechs and Skills
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2012, 21:49:51 »
I believe leftover points can be used for anything also read the flex points for each module some are restricted (you can spend these points on ...) other times they are unrestricted.

as far as the other issues

atow is the rpg rules book it is basically an adsvanced game book for the roleplaying it has the rules to create and run "people" in the battletech universe

total warfare is the mech vehicle combat and tournament rulebook
tech manual is the vehicle construction rulebook
tactical operations is mostly the planetary combat rulebook
strategic operations is the system, and interstellar rules

the various tro's are books of combat units, typically any TRO from a date earlier than a given year can be used, IE you want to play in 3035 you definately could use anythign from 3025, you MAY be able to use things from 2750 (but they need to be justified) and 3039 you can use many things (flavor text or mul {master Unit List} should be checked) 3050 is mostly going to be unavailable, wheras if you are playing in 3075 well that changes the available units significantly.

as far as determining unit costs you would either need tech manual, a unit price list, or something like the mercs handbooks, or some resource that lists the actual costs.

the best news for a battletech campaign is that honestly most of the time specific prices may not matter, as plot issues may override.

additionally software such as heavy metal does have prices for most of the mechs or other units in the application, and it will calculate the prices for you on any custom units you shoose to create.

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2012, 00:10:02 »
If you download Solaris Skunk Werks (http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/) you can download a secondary file at the same place called "SSW Master". It contains .ssw files that are named after 'Mech models; if you open those files in Solaris Skunk Werks then it'll give you the basics required to use those 'Mechs, including combat stats, BV and C-Bill cost.

Perram

« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2012, 08:22:34 »
Thank you both, you just managed to save me from pulling my hair out.  It isn't that I don't want to buy the required books, I was just having one heck of a time figuring out which ones to buy!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2012, 10:40:40 »
One of the things I like about Battletech is it is one of the better systems for letting the player decide how to tailor their investment and still be fun.

Just to be clear yes you can spend any left over points as you wish from module build and flexible XPs during module build will tell you either at the start of the stage or in the module itself what restrictions there are on how they may be spent but for the most part they can be spent how the player wishes.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2012, 10:44:04 »
Yes one of the more frustrating elements with this title is the lack of C-Bill information and Battle Value.
Long ago they had programs that allowed them to calculate that stuff automatically, but as things changed the programs didn't update.
Those that make this game are forced to do it by hand, which on a cost to benefits comparision means BV and C-Bills sometimes get left out.  :-\
Now compound this with the fact that Battle Value calculations are obscene in difficulty with some designs. Herb (the Line Developer of this game) has even stated that they are looking around at options to replace, or even just nix, Battle Value.

The earlier posters supplied most of what I was going to say. Good job all!
There is one part of the website that is helpful:
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

It is basically a "New to Battletech?" section. There are also free downloads available on the Battletech site for some record sheets from the introductory Boxed set.
The Tech level for those 'Mechs are before 3050, but they were used within the 3050 timeframe as well.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

khanjohn

• Corporal
  • More things change the more they stay the same.
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2012, 13:18:39 »
Heavy Metal Pro works great and most fo all teh newest mechs have been input until Rick makes a new version. check it out as it isnt very expensive an dit allows you to edit, make your own as well as cannon. Address is heavymetalpro.com