Author Topic: Your favorite dueling Light Mech  (Read 10187 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Your favorite dueling Light Mech
« Reply #60 on: 08 February 2019, 11:42:15 »
I mean, if custom is allowed I rip out the PPC for a large pulse. Suddenly that movement modifier isn’t so hard a hurdle to get past.

While I don’t think speed is normally critical, I’ve had success bringing heavy armor and weapons with lights.

Which is now worse to face lights . . . you have a 10 hex range, so I can be faster to keep out of range, and peck away.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 08 February 2019, 11:54:21 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 16:20:41 by Easy »

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 08 February 2019, 12:55:37 »
Which is now worse to face lights . . . you have a 10 hex range, so I can be faster to keep out of range, and peck away.

How big is this arena? I don’t remember a lot of Solaris arenas providing much in the way of long range engagement. A missile duel doesn’t sell tickets or some such attitude.

I took a look at a few arena maps. Basically, the Steiner Stadium is open but only like 20x30 hexes or so. So there is room to run but not much range. All the rest are too convoluted, too wooded, or too hilly to provide LOS farther than 10 hexes.

On a huge or infinite plain, yeah that Panther is gonna suffer

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #63 on: 08 February 2019, 13:14:35 »
Also comes down to the range brackets, the LPL is 3/7/10 . . . which means you are getting 1 point less damage with the same TH numbers at 4-7 and 8-10 hexes as the weapon you are replacing.

Against some of the better mechs that are being mentioned?  The Stealth Spector (Stealth offsets that -2TH), Havoc (4 ERML), Cougar D (8 hex short range & 1 pt more damage than the LPL), Wolfhounds (ERLL/ERPPC see range comments above), Kurita's Rokuwhatever (halves damage and spits back as much plus melee), and the crazy guy using a Hollander.

I think the Panther is outmatched in 3140s in light duels.  I still think its a valid unit on the battlefield however.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #64 on: 08 February 2019, 15:37:40 »
LPL isn't really a weapon I would put on a Light mech.

Mediums maybe to hunt Lights.
Or a crit starved Assault to make Lights/Mediums think twice about backstabbing me.

But I don't really use the LPL on Lights or Heavies.   Its a niche weapon & I have uses for it, but on a Panther isn't one of them.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #65 on: 08 February 2019, 19:47:23 »
Even the older Wolfhounds have always been good dueling choices, considering they are one of the best lights out there.

That said, the Jaguar is among my favorite Light Mechs (And favorite quad mechs) due to dealing pretty consistent damage in the forward arc and having an ATM-6 on a 360 degree turret while still moving 8/12 and carrying full armor. I imagine it'd still perform very well in a duel, to boot.

Register