Author Topic: NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition  (Read 72759 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition
« Reply #360 on: 02 November 2017, 00:26:00 »
Sometimes you just have to wonder if anyone involved with the Cleveland Browns actually wants the Cleveland Browns to be a successful sports team.

As an endless source of confusion and amusement I'd say they have had some success there.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #361 on: 02 November 2017, 02:56:27 »
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/01/ownership-went-nuclear-on-browns-front-office-on-wednesday/

Just leaving this here because it made me laugh. It's actually kind of sad, but as the article notes their damage control efforts on this still mean they didn't follow what the league wants done, so... bravo?

First, that site won't autoplay video unless I disable my Adblocker. Since I hate autoplaying videos, I strongly encourage this trend among websites.

Second, to hear of paperwork SNAFUs among the NFL warms the cockles of my heart.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #362 on: 02 November 2017, 08:25:42 »
Win-win, really, until Jurr-ah screwed it all up.

I'm beginning to think he isn't putting the Bronco's success at the forefront of his efforts.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #363 on: 02 November 2017, 08:55:46 »
I'm beginning to think he isn't putting the Bronco's success at the forefront of his efforts.

Well, yeah, but it WAS odd that he was fine with releasing Romo, knowing that was what was likely to happen next- Denver. All through the latter half of the season, into the playoffs and after, he was going to release Romo, lots of respect for him, etc.- right up until he suddenly changed his mind and let this QB he had so much respect for twist in the wind.

Again, it's for the better since it put him in the CBS booth, but it was kind of disappointing to see Jones talk so much about respect, then screw the guy over at the last second. Yeah, it tweaks the Broncos too, but... honestly who cares about that? They're in the other conference anyway. Yes, Dallas would have to face Romo the following season. So what? You know him well enough to make his life rough, and chances are good he'd be injured by that point anyway. And you know no one in the division is going to sneak in and grab him, because (and I'm looking at this from an offseason perspective here, mind you) New York, Washington, and Philly were all happy with their QB situations (or as happy as the Kirk Cousins situation can get in DC anyway).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #364 on: 02 November 2017, 08:59:49 »
By Christmas they'll be calling Jeff George.

have you seen the MicroTouch grooming tool commercials lately? Brett Farve is still stacked

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #365 on: 02 November 2017, 09:40:35 »
have you seen the MicroTouch grooming tool commercials lately? Brett Farve is still stacked

Can't say I have, actually. Although every time I watch the show I swear he's the main character on 'Longmire'.  ;D

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #366 on: 02 November 2017, 10:51:21 »
Sometimes you just have to wonder if anyone involved with the Cleveland Browns actually wants the Cleveland Browns to be a successful sports team.

As an endless source of confusion and amusement I'd say they have had some success there.

Yeah, skipping over Trubisky and Watson I can sort of understand, even selecting Kizer as a long term project but then they threw him into the fire. It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. They clearly need to get a group that can stay on the same page.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #367 on: 02 November 2017, 18:05:27 »
Another season ending injury. Deshaun Watson suffered a torn ACL in practice today during a non-contact drill and will not be able to play again this season.
I have spoken.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #368 on: 02 November 2017, 18:45:11 »
Sad news for Texans. First Watt, now Watson
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #369 on: 02 November 2017, 20:21:31 »
Sometimes makes me wonder if these athletes know something we don't and are trying to dodge a bullet so to speak.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #370 on: 04 November 2017, 02:32:27 »
Sometimes makes me wonder if these athletes know something we don't and are trying to dodge a bullet so to speak.

By tearing his ACL? I mean, there's ways to get out of playing that don't suck anywhere near as bad as that.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #371 on: 04 November 2017, 11:22:47 »
The other possibility is potentially worse since it was a non-contact practice.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #372 on: 05 November 2017, 08:35:44 »
a combination of genes, nutrition, training, etc combined to exert forces on watson's ACL that it wasn't meant to handle. we're going to see more of this. hell, i was doing stats for girls' basketball and watched a fifteen year old shred her knee on a basic jump stop.

sports, man

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #373 on: 05 November 2017, 10:17:38 »
All week long, I've been bothered by the McCarron deal that fell through between the Bengals and Browns. I mean, it's funny, as we noted before here, but... the Browns did exactly what you'd think they would (they screwed up). But... the Bengals side of this. You don't make a trade within your division for a good player. Ever. Remember when Philly sent McNabb to Washington and we all thought they were insane? And it turned out the Eagles knew something we didn't and was just about out of gas? Turned out the Eagles made a pretty smart deal and screwed over their division rival.

So what was the Bengals' angle here on McCarron? What did they know? Because a 2nd and 3rd round pick is pretty nice for a backup QB, but... it can't be that easy.

It wasn't.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/05/yes-mccarron-has-a-pending-grievance-against-the-bengals/

Looks like the Browns' ineptitude may have actually saved their bacon this time. Because that's a big price to pay for a backup QB that you only would get half a season out of before potentially losing him for absolutely nothing.

+Crow T. Robot+

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #374 on: 05 November 2017, 12:56:23 »
I find it incredibly hilarious that the Browns Brownsed so hard that they actually inflicted themselves on the Bengals.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #375 on: 05 November 2017, 18:06:35 »
I didn't think it got worse than the shutout against the Chargers last week.

Welp. I was wrong. 14 penalties and over 50 points let in by the defense later, it's hard to think of the Broncos ever having had a worse day than what they did today against the Eagles.

Luckily things get a lot easier for them next week against New Engl... after a bye week...

+Crow T. Robot+

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #376 on: 05 November 2017, 18:22:58 »

Welp. I was wrong. 14 penalties and over 50 points let in by the defense later, it's hard to think of the Broncos ever having had a worse day than what they did today against the Eagles.

Luckily things get a lot easier for them next week against New Engl... after a bye week...

This is a fantastic gif, stealing that.

The Chiefs had an absolutely amazing TD at the end of the half, and then another TD with an equally amazing celebration, and are now ahead of the Cowboys.  Chiefs are so fun to watch.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #377 on: 05 November 2017, 18:45:49 »
My LOL of the day is the Eagles' tweet where they apologized for having run out of fireworks to shoot off.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #378 on: 05 November 2017, 18:52:25 »
Watching NFL Network highlights, I've decided that the Rams made a huge mistake firing Jeff Fisher.

No, no, not the way you think. See, going 7-9 every season, you should get fired. What the Rams fouled up is letting him waste time with Jared Goff on the sideline. That was a bad idea. Because watching what he did to the Giants today, that kid is freaking GOOD. How does that kid sit on the bench?

(Side note, am I the only person dealing with it being weird that the Rams' helmets are blue and WHITE now instead of blue and gold or yellow?)

+Crow T. Robot+

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #379 on: 05 November 2017, 19:44:20 »
No you are not the only one.

And Goff never looked that good or promising before.  So maybe letting him ride the bench was what he needed?

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #380 on: 05 November 2017, 19:56:35 »
(Side note, am I the only person dealing with it being weird that the Rams' helmets are blue and WHITE now instead of blue and gold or yellow?)
I think, based on some apocryphal source, that it is based on an inventory of blue and yellow jerseys for sale via various vendors.

Also, nice to see the 'Skins get a win in SEA.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #381 on: 05 November 2017, 20:32:38 »
Oy Seattle.  I only got to see the failed hail marry at the end but damn that was close.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #382 on: 05 November 2017, 21:56:48 »
I wonder how much ...patience Blair Walsh has cultivated in Seattle. I don't think many people are happy with him right now.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #383 on: 05 November 2017, 22:07:44 »
Not just him.

The O-line still needs a lot of work(even if it isn't the worst one in the NFL right now) and that defensive unit goes from hot to cold too easily in the same game all too easily.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #384 on: 06 November 2017, 09:21:46 »

On the plus side, the Broncos weren't the least competitive team giving up 51 points yesterday. Think that's ever been said before?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #385 on: 06 November 2017, 09:24:59 »
On the plus side, the Broncos weren't the least competitive team giving up 51 points yesterday. Think that's ever been said before?

Only when the follow-up sentence includes the word 'Brown'.

+Crow T. Robot+

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #386 on: 06 November 2017, 11:09:58 »
Y'know, it's nice to see Peterson getting some decent plays in on a team he JUST switched to, but damn.  Owen Nyne playing for San Francisco, that's just a harsh season period.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #387 on: 06 November 2017, 12:05:23 »
Y'know, it's nice to see Peterson getting some decent plays in on a team he JUST switched to, but damn.  Owen Nyne playing for San Francisco, that's just a harsh season period.

The only good news for them is that a whole lot of those losses are REALLY close- they've only really been blown out a couple of times. Most of those, they were right in it to the very end. There's no such thing as a moral victory in the standings, but they at least have fought like hell most weeks. That's more than you can say for the Browns or Giants a lot of the time.

+Crow T. Robot+

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #388 on: 06 November 2017, 14:30:21 »
That is a fair point.  0-9 is a brutal stat, but if they're holding through to the end of the 4th and only losing in the last moment by a couple points, that's respectful.  They've had a few blowouts (ouch, Dallas) but there's a lot of 2-3 point games in that list.

Good luck guys, hopefully you can turn something around.  Meanwhile, here's hoping that Stanton, Peterson, Fitzgerald, and Brown can really lock in a solid three-option offense.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #389 on: 06 November 2017, 17:22:39 »
Watching NFL Network highlights, I've decided that the Rams made a huge mistake firing Jeff Fisher.

No, no, not the way you think. See, going 7-9 every season, you should get fired. What the Rams fouled up is letting him waste time with Jared Goff on the sideline. That was a bad idea. Because watching what he did to the Giants today, that kid is freaking GOOD. How does that kid sit on the bench?

We hadn't a decent offensive line to protect him, we do now!!  We needed a better coach for the team, we do now!!

I remember, just barely, when we switched from the white horns.  I want to ditch what is being worn and go back to the Pre St. Louis look.  I figure I've been a fan for almost 45 years and this is the most optimistic I have been since The Greatest Show on Turf.

Register