Author Topic: Operation Scorpion when did Focht find out  (Read 2382 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
Operation Scorpion when did Focht find out
« on: 21 April 2018, 16:01:16 »
So when do you think Focht found out about Operation Scorpion.  Did a ROM agent tell Focht beforehand and he prayed for the best.  Or did he find out a couple of days after the insurrections had begun and say to his aide Hettig "I can't deal with that now".

Tyrchon

• Corporal
Re: Operation Scorpion when did Focht find out
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2018, 19:19:44 »
In Lost Destiny we get a chapter(42) at the end of the Battle of Tukayyid where Focht and Ulric Kerensky discuss the results of the battle.  During this discussion Ulric brings up Operation Scorpion, calling it "an annoyance" that did not distract from the battle.  In reply Focht remarks "I give you my word, had I known, I would have warned you."  Given Focht's nature, detesting underhanded methods and knowledge that acting in good faith with the Clans was the only way he could get them to agree to the Battle of Tukayyid and the Truce of Tukayyid, we can accept, with reason, that he is being honest with Ulric on the matter.  As such, if we had to guess on when he learned the details of and the launching of Operation Scorpion it would most likely have been at some point during the battle, most likely at a point where he couldn't do anything about it and trying to do anything about it would undermine what was happening on Tukayyid.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2018, 16:17:06 »
I'm... not as certain. I agree that he likely did speak to Ulric in good faith, but it's hard to take a man at his word when he's spend a few decades living a double-life without telling anyone- Ulric included. "Trust but verify".

That said, I do believe he didn't know at the time, NOT because I trust him to tell the truth, but because if I were planning Scorpion I sure wouldn't want HIM to know on the eve of his showdown with the Clans, lest he spill the beans. He told the truth because he genuinely didn't know, but 'not knowing' and 'being trustworthy' have a very slender overlap on the Venn diagram.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2018, 23:25:41 »
Didn’t Focht shoot Myndo Waterly when he found out?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2018, 01:40:21 »
I'm... not as certain. I agree that he likely did speak to Ulric in good faith, but it's hard to take a man at his word when he's spend a few decades living a double-life without telling anyone- Ulric included. "Trust but verify".
What double life did Ulric have?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2018, 02:20:07 »
Why "double life"? He never had that. Focht never told lies about his past, he merely openly refused to divulge information. "Not telling ya" is different from lying. Unless you consider the assumed name alone to be a lie.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

draigthedm

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2018, 07:04:34 »
If I remember correctly, when Phelan discovered who Focht was he claimed that his old life ended when he joined com* and he chose the name to symbolize his new life.  So he became a new person and Fredrick Steiner died for all intents and purposes.  Not so much a double life but a new start and a disassociation with the old life.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 00:44:37 »
If I remember correctly, when Phelan discovered who Focht was he claimed that his old life ended when he joined com* and he chose the name to symbolize his new life.  So he became a new person and Fredrick Steiner died for all intents and purposes.  Not so much a double life but a new start and a disassociation with the old life.

Correct, earlier in Lethal Heritage when Waterly brings up Frederick's birthday Focht cites that.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2018, 07:37:41 »
What double life did Ulric have?

I meant Focht, not Ulric. Sorry, I see how that post might have been a bit confusing.

Why "double life"? He never had that. Focht never told lies about his past, he merely openly refused to divulge information. "Not telling ya" is different from lying. Unless you consider the assumed name alone to be a lie.

There's a pretty big difference between "I've never mentioned that I can't eat gluten? Huh, guess I never mentioned it." and "By the way I'm a totally different person than I claim to be, and in fact I'm related to the nobility- crazy, huh?".
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Register