Author Topic: Rocinante  (Read 3111 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Rocinante
« on: 26 February 2018, 08:48:03 »
I don't know if we have any other LootCrate subscribers around here, but if we do, they should also have one of these.

Just need to a) mount and b) stat her.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Rocinante
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2018, 16:46:57 »
Oh I do like that ship
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2018, 22:07:14 »
You can find a couple of different makes of the Rocinante on Shapeways too.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2018, 06:04:28 »
I would throw away the flames and build in some blue LEDs. Other than that I love the show but it could´ve done without the "alien "spores" plot. I´m more into the sociological and political aspects of the plot. Doesn´t need that alien mumbo jumbo.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2018, 07:06:10 »
Pls delete

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2018, 07:29:59 »
I would throw away the flames and build in some blue LEDs. Other than that I love the show but it could´ve done without the "alien "spores" plot. I´m more into the sociological and political aspects of the plot. Doesn´t need that alien mumbo jumbo.

The protomolecule is central to the whole series of novels. Stripping it out would have made the TV series a completely different property.

(I have heard rumors that it’s based on a Traveler campaign the authors used to play. Heard the same thing about Firefly, though.)
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 07:31:33 by Tegyrius »
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2018, 05:29:54 »
The protomolecule is central to the whole series of novels. Stripping it out would have made the TV series a completely different property.

(I have heard rumors that it’s based on a Traveler campaign the authors used to play. Heard the same thing about Firefly, though.)

Yeah, I don´t question that. What I´m saying is that the political and sociological topics and themes represented in the show would be enough to tell fascinating stories on their own. I just don´t get why todays SciFi always has to implement some sort of "alien" element to everything. Its like with computer games where you have the enemies that look crazier with every iteration of a game but the core gameplay deteriorates.
I could totally enjoy an adult story about the conflicts of earth and mars all the other factions and the crew of the rocinante in between. But maybe the the protomolecule is THE hook that helped to make the books a show on tv.

Starbuck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2018, 06:39:20 »
i have to say i am a bit disappointed.
i expected to see an old nag.  :D
"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2018, 14:35:03 »
Remember the Cant!
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Rocinante
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2018, 15:38:30 »
Remember the Cant!
Remember, Remember the Canterbury,
Killed by an unknown adversary!
We won't forget this anonymous threat,
Remember the Canterbury!

https://m.soundcloud.com/themoldyfilters/remember-the-canterbury
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2018, 19:53:51 »
Yeah, I don´t question that. What I´m saying is that the political and sociological topics and themes represented in the show would be enough to tell fascinating stories on their own. I just don´t get why todays SciFi always has to implement some sort of "alien" element to everything. Its like with computer games where you have the enemies that look crazier with every iteration of a game but the core gameplay deteriorates.
I could totally enjoy an adult story about the conflicts of earth and mars all the other factions and the crew of the rocinante in between. But maybe the the protomolecule is THE hook that helped to make the books a show on tv.
the protomolecule has always been Alien though. even in the novels. the show is following the novel storylines. without those storylines it isn't The Expanse.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2018, 04:03:36 »
the protomolecule has always been Alien though. even in the novels. the show is following the novel storylines. without those storylines it isn't The Expanse.

Agreed. While the political and social subplots are interesting, without it's hook, it's just another political thriller. The nature of the protomolecule, it's journey, etc are core drivers for the story arcs. Without that, it may as well be a Tom Clancy story.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2018, 04:30:54 »

I better stop explaining. Its falling on deaf ears. ::)
« Last Edit: 01 March 2018, 07:04:19 by Domi1981 »

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2018, 06:10:44 »

It was a D20 modern mod rather than Traveller.  Ty Franck had been shopping the universe around unsuccessfully as an MMO, used it as a backdrop for his homebrew RPG, and then teamed up with Daniel Abraham to turn it into a series of novels.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2018, 18:05:23 »
honestly i would love to find versions of the ships where the Donnager is about the size of a IWM BT warship, and the Rocinante is about the size of a IWM BT dropship*, so that i could build a MCRN fleet for Full Thrust..

heck, maybe toss in some of the other the other ships we've seen like the Shandian, the Scirocco, and the Scipio Africanus so the fleet would have variety. just use a sliding scale. though the Scipio might be so small it would fit better as some sort of 'fighter' in that ruleset, with swarms of them deployed. it does seem to be little more than a shuttle sized thing, just with long range ability.

*yeah, totally different scales there, but the Roci would be so small compared to the Donnager, or the donnager so big compared to the Roci, if both used the same.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2018, 18:09:35 by glitterboy2098 »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2018, 23:48:50 »
honestly i would love to find versions of the ships where the Donnager is about the size of a IWM BT warship, and the Rocinante is about the size of a IWM BT dropship*, so that i could build a MCRN fleet for Full Thrust..

heck, maybe toss in some of the other the other ships we've seen like the Shandian, the Scirocco, and the Scipio Africanus so the fleet would have variety. just use a sliding scale. though the Scipio might be so small it would fit better as some sort of 'fighter' in that ruleset, with swarms of them deployed. it does seem to be little more than a shuttle sized thing, just with long range ability.

*yeah, totally different scales there, but the Roci would be so small compared to the Donnager, or the donnager so big compared to the Roci, if both used the same.

Considering that the Rocinante was one of the two gunships carried inside the Donnager, you are right about them needing to be different scales.