Author Topic: One Mech seems to be a smash hit with all my players.  (Read 11341 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: One Mech seems to be a smash hit with all my players.
« Reply #60 on: 27 June 2012, 20:00:14 »
How do you get around behind the Gausszilla anyway?  It only takes 3 MP to pivot in place, and if he just parks, damage at range will overwhelm the smaller, faster machine long before it inflicts any meaningful damage anyway.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 27 June 2012, 20:03:49 »
Does it have flippy arms?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #62 on: 27 June 2012, 20:29:14 »
Does it have flippy arms?

Nope..it is on an Annhilator Chassis

How do you get around behind the Gausszilla anyway?  It only takes 3 MP to pivot in place, and if he just parks, damage at range will overwhelm the smaller, faster machine long before it inflicts any meaningful damage anyway.

Terrain was such that if the Grand Dragon lost initiative, it could get behind cover, and there was nothing the GZ could do to get
LOS, and if he won, no matter how the GZ turned, he could get in the rear. Instead, the Grand Dragon pilot took to woods one turn while closing to medium range with his weapons, and then..went down the middle, not using terrain past that point..
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Devens

• Lieutenant
Re: One Mech seems to be a smah hit with all my players.
« Reply #63 on: 27 June 2012, 20:29:46 »
It's slow, heavily armored for its size, and carries the biggest boomstick in 3025.

I don't particularly like it.  It's great for city fights, and if you're Lyran, but I prefer more mobile Mediums.  The Heavies and Assaults are what I prefer to be handling my heavy weapons.

Actualy we Lyrans prefer our mediums with more mobility, such as the Griffin and Phoenix Hawk.

The hunchback is a Free Worlds League design.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 27 June 2012, 21:17:08 »
The AC/10 is a good gun for its era, but some people will still compare it to a PPC or large laser and come to the conclusion that it falls a bit short.

yeah in megamek one of my new faves is the 3025 Hammerhands
bangs away all day, ammo to burn
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

X-ray

• Corporal
« Reply #65 on: 27 June 2012, 21:57:45 »
Actualy we Lyrans prefer our mediums with more mobility, such as the Griffin and Phoenix Hawk.

The hunchback is a Free Worlds League design.

If I remember my fluff right, FWL and DC are the biggest users

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 28 June 2012, 09:05:05 »
Nope..it is on an Annhilator Chassis

Terrain was such that if the Grand Dragon lost initiative, it could get behind cover, and there was nothing the GZ could do to get
LOS, and if he won, no matter how the GZ turned, he could get in the rear. Instead, the Grand Dragon pilot took to woods one turn while closing to medium range with his weapons, and then..went down the middle, not using terrain past that point..

Grand Dragon isn't fast enough to get behind a GZ from more than three hexes away, especially if the GZ pilot knows anything about what he/she is doing.

Losing to a GZ is not an indication of a bad player.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

mitchberthelson

• Warrant Officer
  • Death to Zohan!
« Reply #67 on: 28 June 2012, 12:06:44 »
If I remember my fluff right, FWL and DC are the biggest users

They are the biggest, but Steiner uses them in moderate numbers and even has Norse Storm building them in certain eras (I think they team them with their huge piles of Crusaders for urban fighting). Xotl and Worktroll's protects related to army composition and variant availability show it as reasonably common for Lyrans in the pre-3050 era, but not exactly a rock star (in the "10" slot on the 3025 Army Book RAT and a spread of about 50-60 points between three variants in Xotl's big variant PDF).
« Last Edit: 28 June 2012, 14:50:29 by mitchberthelson »

X-ray

• Corporal
« Reply #68 on: 28 June 2012, 13:53:25 »
Yeah that's what I thought.  Pretty much all of those original tro3025 mechs are used by all factions on some level though

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 28 June 2012, 15:57:02 »
Grand Dragon isn't fast enough to get behind a GZ from more than three hexes away, especially if the GZ pilot knows anything about what he/she is doing.

Losing to a GZ is not an indication of a bad player.

Not saying he is a bad player, but I am saying that he is an uncreative player. If you are facing something like a Gausszilla,
you do NOT launch a frontal attack. Strangely, the player identifies himself as Kurita, but...fights a bit more like a Steiner.

The "One of Each" Hunchback lance? That would eat him alive!

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 28 June 2012, 16:39:20 »
Not all players are creative.

Not all high ranking strategists are creative.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 28 June 2012, 16:55:48 »
Also, all the Gauszilla player has to do is park himself on a hill, and any advantage the Dragon could gain from mobility would be pretty well negated.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 28 June 2012, 17:41:58 »
There is already a faster Hunchback, the -6S from RS 3050 upgrade. It runs 6/9/0 and looks like a stopgap measurement between the standard Hunchback and the Blitzkrieg (not as fast as a Blitzkrieg but with more weapons).

Excellent for generating crits, too, it seems.  LB-20 plus SRM-6?  Definitely going to have to use some of these soon.  Thanks for pointing it out! O0

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 28 June 2012, 17:48:48 »
Not saying he is a bad player, but I am saying that he is an uncreative player. If you are facing something like a Gausszilla,
you do NOT launch a frontal attack. Strangely, the player identifies himself as Kurita, but...fights a bit more like a Steiner.

The "One of Each" Hunchback lance? That would eat him alive!

yeah
I remember the look on an opponents face at my first and only tech tourney
you were to bring 4 mechs totalling 225 tons (3025)

so I had the liao marauder with the 2 large lasers and 3 hunchy 4Ps
:-)
fun game IIRC
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 28 June 2012, 18:22:43 »

yeah

fun game IIRC

Liao MAD is a PPC, a LL, and an AC5.  It's my favorite variant, actually.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 28 June 2012, 18:49:00 »
ok marik version then

the liao is kinda schizophrenic, but then that's Liao
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 28 June 2012, 18:51:22 »
It has really good heat-management capabilities, IMO.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #77 on: 28 June 2012, 20:35:52 »
How does this 3025 lance sound, 2 Hunchbacks, and 2 Dervishs
I was actually going to suggest Trebuchets for that all Marik feel.

And IMHO its a workable unit, mobile LRMs to keep people at range & a big fat AC20 sitting in front of them waiting for someone to charge.  I use a similar set up w/ tanks by pairing Demolishers w/ LRM Carriers.  Nobody wants that much indirect LRM and getting through the Demo's is PAIN
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #78 on: 28 June 2012, 20:39:12 »
The mech is great in what we call a purcupine ball. 2 4G's,a 4P and a 4SP.
That is just a fire magnet of a Lance but god help you if you ignore it.........OUCH
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 28 June 2012, 21:02:26 »

yeah

fun game IIRC

That is the Marik Marauder.

X-ray

• Corporal
« Reply #80 on: 28 June 2012, 22:03:46 »
I was actually going to suggest Trebuchets for that all Marik feel.

And IMHO its a workable unit, mobile LRMs to keep people at range & a big fat AC20 sitting in front of them waiting for someone to charge.  I use a similar set up w/ tanks by pairing Demolishers w/ LRM Carriers.  Nobody wants that much indirect LRM and getting through the Demo's is PAIN

Or catapults for that DC feel

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: 29 June 2012, 17:50:59 »
They are the biggest, but Steiner uses them in moderate numbers and even has Norse Storm building them in certain eras (I think they team them with their huge piles of Crusaders for urban fighting). Xotl and Worktroll's protects related to army composition and variant availability show it as reasonably common for Lyrans in the pre-3050 era, but not exactly a rock star (in the "10" slot on the 3025 Army Book RAT and a spread of about 50-60 points between three variants in Xotl's big variant PDF).

Xotli is a Fan product and not exactly cannon.

mitchberthelson

• Warrant Officer
  • Death to Zohan!
« Reply #82 on: 29 June 2012, 18:08:02 »
Xotli is a Fan product and not exactly cannon.

Correct, but his work is some of the most extensive on variant availability done to date and given that he's on the MUL team and involved quite often in research for that effort, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The fact that the Lyrans actually build the 'Mech in question (in some eras via two different companies) backs this up further.

Register