Author Topic: List of good mods or fan-built games?  (Read 10326 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
List of good mods or fan-built games?
« on: 26 January 2011, 22:18:23 »
There used to be a list of Battletech-based mods based on other games. And I think even a few games built from scratch. That list was somewhat dated, I remember looking at it once and found that a lot of the links were dead.

Maybe this is a good time to create a new updated list?

Phalanx

• Corporal
Re: List of good mods or fan-built games?
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 23:06:26 »
Invasion3042 is dead.

Neveron has also kicked the digital bucket.

Mendrugo's Succession Wars Project(www.successionwars.com) is still in development.

Mechwarrior:Living Legends might still be around.

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

OgreMagi

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 00:54:58 »
Neveron is dead, its very outdated and is down more than its up, the player base is mostly oldtimers.

Invasion3042.  DOA with the admin Reload deleting players for playing well and the bastardization of BT rules its not worth playing.

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 14:00:07 »
Just checked out Neveron.

Its not dead, but it is certainly on Life Support.

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2011, 18:21:11 »
Mendrugo's Succession Wars Project(www.successionwars.com) is still in development.

I'm currently working on generating "Planetary Invasion"-style hexmaps for every world in the universe.  We'll see whether the database can handle it.  (Looking at a minimum of 50 million lines of data.)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2011, 21:05:49 »
Just checked out Neveron.

Its not dead, but it is certainly on Life Support.

I wanted to get into it until I found out I have to use internet explorer.

Anything similar out there?
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Saurok

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2011, 08:03:25 »
MechWarrior: Living Legends is currently on open beta. http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/
It is awesome, if you have hardware to run it.

Eldragon

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2011, 16:32:18 »
MechWarrior: Living Legends is currently on open beta. http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/
It is awesome, if you have hardware to run it.

It is in fact so awesome it is the sole reason I have not played Megamek or CBT in the last month.

pickledtezcat

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2011, 05:00:09 »
I'm currently working on generating "Planetary Invasion"-style hexmaps for every world in the universe.  We'll see whether the database can handle it.  (Looking at a minimum of 50 million lines of data.)

might it be better to use regions and "marches" instead of individual planets for the macro scale?
Once you have an invasion in to a "march" you could click on to the region and then go in to planetary assault mode..
Seems like it could handle things better if you didn't have 50 million objects on screen at the same time.

Also if you do something like battletech then you can have an inner sphere of a couple of hundred worlds instead of millions.
It's a question of scale. Who would care about an individual world battle in a war for the universe?
It would be like simulating the flight of a single bullet in a WWII sim which covered the whole european conflict.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2011, 05:33:04 »
might it be better to use regions and "marches" instead of individual planets for the macro scale?
Once you have an invasion in to a "march" you could click on to the region and then go in to planetary assault mode..
Seems like it could handle things better if you didn't have 50 million objects on screen at the same time.

Also if you do something like battletech then you can have an inner sphere of a couple of hundred worlds instead of millions.
It's a question of scale. Who would care about an individual world battle in a war for the universe?
It would be like simulating the flight of a single bullet in a WWII sim which covered the whole european conflict.

The idea's to have sort of an Inner Sphere sandbox environment where hundreds or even thousands of players could be running their own plans, focusing on what's going on in their local area. 

Sure, those taking the roles of the House Lords are focused on the interchange of border worlds.  However, those running mercenary regiments would be fairly bored just to go to Planet X and have the fate of their unit determined by one pass of the random number generator.  Likewise, unless we get a fairly fine level of detail, battling for entire sectors at a time leaves the Homeworld Clans with jack squat to keep them entertained, since that's way too huge a scale for your average Trial of Possession.  (We're setting the campaign in 3025, so all the Clans are still up in the Kerensky Cluster).

The old Succession Wars game used macro-scale, and that was fine.  However, I'm trying to set up an environment where players can micromanage their unit compositions and maneuver them around any planet they like in the Inner Sphere or Clan space.

There shouldn't be 50 million items on the screen at once - that's just the total number of lines I expect to be in the terrain hex database, with 300 hexes per planet of significant size (7 hexes for medium moons and asteroids, and 1 hex for small moons, since orbital bodies with diameters of 1-100 kilometers aren't likely to play host to battles that involve a lot of strategic maneuver).  The interface uses drill-down displays to keep the amount of info under control. 

Each faction's starmap only contains the worlds they know about (so the Jarnfolk's map, for example, won't be cluttered with irrelevant Capellan, Free Worlds and FedSuns systems), but can be expanded by exploration.  Clicking on a system icon brings up info about the system (startype, planets, asteroid belts); clicking on a planet brings up info about the planet and its satellites (if any).  Clicking on a rocky world or moon brings up a 300-hex planetary invasion map.  Clicking on an individual hex brings up info about that hex (strategic facilities therein, mineral output, agricultural output, population, industrial output, infrastructure).

The scale would be too detailed if we just had slots for House Lords, but players can be corporate presidents (CEO of Defiance Industries, for example), merchant traders, mercenaries, House military commanders at various levels (from Supreme Marshal of the AFFS to CO of a Planetary Guard Unit), pirates, nobles (like Duke Ricol, who raised his own army and pursued his own agenda), or even the ruler of one of the 'Mad Max' city states on Antallos.  While the tools exist to micromanage your troops (fun for small units), there are also tools for issuing mass orders so you don't have to (which is a relief for Hanse Davion's player).

The 'one roll and the whole march changes hands' works fine in the Succession Wars board game, but didn't allow us to simulate a lot of the fun stuff from BattleTech history.  For example, the Capellan strategic philosophy is for Home Guard and Militia units to do their best to hold out against invasion until elite Warrior House troops can be dispatched as reinforcements.  If the battle's over before they get there, that doesn't work.  Many of the sourcebooks refer to battles for planets stretching out for years as both sides maneuver and reinforce.  That's the kind of engagement I want to enable.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

pickledtezcat

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2011, 02:05:05 »
ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ That's pretty ambitious.
My plan is to have up to 7 mechs or vehicles on screen at once on a battlefield around 3-4 KM square.

So no battle of misery for me^^

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2011, 08:40:00 »
I just finished programming the planetary map generator.  It takes the basic info about the planet (# of continents, equatorial temperature, % surface water, presence of life) and generates a 300-hex battlemap in about 5 seconds.  I used Muskegon as my test sample, since it was just detailed in Blaine Pardoe's latest BattleCorps story.

McDookie

« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2011, 16:56:16 »
As one of the new Admins in Invasion3042 I would like to clarify a few things which have been stated.

Invasion3042 is not dead. It was put up for sell early January and a collective of players have purchased it. Leader of the group is Roland.

The game does follow closely with CBT rules, however with this being the internet you cant do all the same stuff you wish to in real life. Simply put on the internet you cant slap or punch the guy across the table for being a @$# in his tactics or playing like a little girl.

When Ogre played the game also I believe we had at the time almost 1.5k mech variants in game and out of the ~13,000+ mechs commissioned in game, over 80% of them were only 50 mech variants being used. This left the other ~1,450 other variants practically unloved and unused. Sure some were stupid, some were decent, but the fact that decent mechs didn't beat the cheese mechs in combat meant only cheese mechs would be used. Things got out of hand.

This lead to cookie cutter battles which was undesirable and not fun. At the time a somewhat disliked but much needed system called DMM was put into place, the system since being put in has become a great success in what it was meant to accomplish: creating a reason for diversity in your mech selection and not just Direwolfs Hoh and A's or Nova Cat-A. Im sorry if you feel that your only force selection became a tactic of the past, but it has helped the game greatly. the system does require tweaking and the system does need improvement. But no one in game wants to go back to seeing the combat system go back to just DAC and NCA fights.
Various other changes have been put in place in combat systems, some good some bad and our over all goal as the new admins is to fix the game and the combat system to be more fluid, realistic and fun.

Lastly, Players are only deleted for abusing systems, cheating and being @$# hats as a term we like to use. By making it so their fun comes at the expense of other players through means which nearly ruined and damaged the community.
Its battletech and its a game, some of the players in the group you were apart of Orge simply put: Made it way to personal and enjoyed winning at the expense of others along with either purposefully or not it resulted with the loss of many players in the game to quit and a scar which seems to still attempt to damage the game and its reputation, It is a game its supposed to be fun. Not everyone in the group your played with are bad guys, and reload isnt either, bad decisions have been made and the best thing to do is admit them and move on.

Now before you doubt it or start hating on Invasion3042, you should remember there is a new administration running the game. Who's goals are simple: To enhance the game, its fun and the combat systems. along with a few other aspects and points shoved in there. So don't knock it before you try it or allow the new admin to make changes to the game.

-McDookie :)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2011, 01:09:22 »

Your crazy!  Just create random number seeds and use them to generate the planets on the fly, FAR less space (like 8 bytes per planet!)

I'm going to be paying $1K outta my own pocket soon for code to dynamically create planets with detail to 10m, and yet very little actual storage.  I've got a bid out on http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Visual-Basic-NET/Planetary-Mapping-System.html.

Good job though, map looks pretty nifty... dynamically mapping planets has kicked my butt, but the MegaTraveller World Builders Handbook and GURPS Traveller First In are worth their weight in gold for generating systems and mapping planets.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

pickledtezcat

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2011, 10:00:29 »
I had some success recently with generating 3d maps using perlin noise.
Though these were mostly random maps for an area about 3KM x 3KM  (with a 24 square meter resolution) rather than planetary maps.
I did get some results from making island style maps, but the best way would be to use a combination of random seed driven perlin noise and .BMP templates for islands and continents.

All these things have been investigated in the map generators for Civilization IV and other systems. May want to look there first for ideas about random world generation...

I don't think you can get 10m resolution though.
The surface of the earth is 148,940,000square KM.
So you would need to generate an image that is 14,894,000,000  X 14,894,000,000 pixels (or vertices if you are working with 3d)
that would total 221,831,236,000,000,000,000 pixels...

It's going to take a long time to generate any planet to this level of detail. And the computer would need to store the info about each of those pixels in RAM while dealing with the simulation. If you used 1 byte per pixel (256 colours) you would need 206,596,437,841 gigabytes to store that information in the RAM uncompressed.

Please remember that planets are big. Our home computer systems are still not up to the task of representing them in that kind of detail.
Even Google maps stores the images centrally and only downloads them as needed. It uses 71680 gigabytes for storing the images.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2011, 11:25:41 »
Your crazy!  Just create random number seeds and use them to generate the planets on the fly, FAR less space (like 8 bytes per planet!)

I'm going to be paying $1K outta my own pocket soon for code to dynamically create planets with detail to 10m, and yet very little actual storage.  I've got a bid out on http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Visual-Basic-NET/Planetary-Mapping-System.html.

Good job though, map looks pretty nifty... dynamically mapping planets has kicked my butt, but the MegaTraveller World Builders Handbook and GURPS Traveller First In are worth their weight in gold for generating systems and mapping planets.

The problem with generating random seeds on the fly is - what happens when the DCMS has a regiment defending a mountainous region on the northern continent, and then somebody else comes along and re-rolls the planet, and now the DCMS regiment is at the bottom of an ocean?  Therefore, the planetary maps need to remain static once rolled up. 

I solved the storage issue by abandoning MS Access and switching to MS Server Express.  Without the Access bloat, what filled 500 MB in Access only takes up 82 MB in Express.  No grapics get stored - each hex is a line in the database that links to the appropriate .gif.

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2011, 21:03:37 »
The problem with generating random seeds on the fly is - what happens when the DCMS has a regiment defending a mountainous region on the northern continent, and then somebody else comes along and re-rolls the planet, and now the DCMS regiment is at the bottom of an ocean?  Therefore, the planetary maps need to remain static once rolled up. 

Use the same random number seed each time, the random results will always be the same.  Not sure how to do that in cold fusion (which I think your using), but in .NET or Java its easy enough.  All the random numbers you need for the planet are created off that initial seed, which will always be the same.  Sounds like you figured it out tho, surprised your not using mysql (free) or MSSQL (FAR better than sql express).  $2500/year MSDN license is well worth it for all the MS software you get ;)

It's going to take a long time to generate any planet to this level of detail. And the computer would need to store the info about each of those pixels in RAM while dealing with the simulation. If you used 1 byte per pixel (256 colours) you would need 206,596,437,841 gigabytes to store that information in the RAM uncompressed.

Please remember that planets are big. Our home computer systems are still not up to the task of representing them in that kind of detail.
Even Google maps stores the images centrally and only downloads them as needed. It uses 71680 gigabytes for storing the images.

See, that is where I'm being sneaky ;)

Lets say earth, on a rectangle its about 40,000 km  x 20,000 km high.  Granted the top and bottom rows may only represent a few actual pixels, it would have to be stored anyway.

With a 10km grid, that is 4000x2000 chunks.  I need about 8 bytes total for each of those chunks.  These 8 bytes represent the height of the terrain (4 bytes) and the terrain "tile" (4 bytes).  I would save these in 2 maps, each are bitmaps, and each would be about 32mb of data.  That can be *highly* compressed by simply using PNGs instead of BMPs.  Now, the terrain "tiles" are 10km chunks.  THESE are detailed to 10m, so each is about 1000 x 1000 pixels.  These are *not* unique.  There would be several hundred, representing hills, rough, forests, beaches, water, etc, etc.  These tile up with other tiles so they can match up, this allows rivers, coastlines, large cities, etc to be modeled.  At 8mb each, at most that is a couple gigs of data, again that could be MUCH smaller with PNGs.  2500 planets would be about 80 GB, again it could be compressed to far less than half that.  I don't think that is too unrealistic these days, it'd all fit on a blu-ray ;)

Airless planets/moons would be pretty generic however, and each would be generated with just a random seed.  Underwater would be mapped too, not just surface area ;).  Damage *could* be persistent, too, and would rarely use up more than a few megs per planet.

I'll have a map viewer that works much like google/bin maps outside of the game, so you can view planets or generate your own.

100 GB is just not that much anymore, a 1.5TB drive is $70 on Newegg right now ;)

It is very possible ;)
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

pickledtezcat

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2011, 00:31:00 »
Ok, I got my numbers mixed up anyway^^
Stupid square KM!

Anyway, don't forget that in 10 meter chunks the distance from the highest point on earth, to the lowest is around 19KM.
If you wanted to keep the vertical resolution of 10m chunks you'd need at least a 1900 color greyscale map. If you used just 256 colors, the difference between each elevation would be more than 70 meters. You could tweak that, using higher resolution for the mid ranges... lower for underwater maybe.

Not sure how well the idea of tileable random textures will work.
You need an algorythm which will match up along the edge of the image, perhaps using fixed pixel color values for edge pixels and then calculate random values for the pixels inside the image, blending from the fixed edges.
I saw a soft plasma fractal patern which may work (it uses fixed values for the corners), but it didn't give nearly nice enough results for me when it came to terrain generation.

Anyway.... maybe all this is a bit off topic. :)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2011, 03:46:29 »
Use the same random number seed each time, the random results will always be the same.  Not sure how to do that in cold fusion (which I think your using), but in .NET or Java its easy enough.  All the random numbers you need for the planet are created off that initial seed, which will always be the same.  Sounds like you figured it out tho, surprised your not using mysql (free) or MSSQL (FAR better than sql express).  $2500/year MSDN license is well worth it for all the MS software you get ;)

The other complication for my method is that I'm modeling my maps based on what's been written in the extensive body of BattleTech fiction (novels, sourcebooks, BattleCorps stories, etc.)  So I'm going through the worlds with text on them and manually adjusting the results of the randomizer to match the fiction.  Even before I started generating the maptiles, I went through the planetary stats to get them to align (correct # of continents, equatorial temperature, % surface water, population, etc., when given), so that the results of the randomized tiles are acceptable, more often than not.  But some authors were very detailed about the layout of the continents, locations of cities and mountains, etc., and that'll have to be put in manually.

Plus, now with the Turning Points (both Jihad and Historical) series, we have official Planetary Invasion-style maps for New Avalon, Luthien, Tharkad, Atreus, Sian, Misery, and Dieron.  From other sources, we have Terra, the Pentagon worlds (and a few other Clan worlds featured in Warriors of Kerensky) and Huntress.  The NAIS 4th Succession War atlas has some planetary maps that can be adapted (especially Tikonov), as does the original Hot Spots book.  There's no way the randomizer would get a close enough match to those canon layouts, so I'll have to model those hexes, going through line-by-line.  (Though I'm planning to whip up an editor where I can select a tile from a palette and then change any tile to that image with one click.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #20 on: 19 April 2011, 08:26:53 »
Just an update: 

23,000+ inhabited worlds have been mapped.  (About 3,000 canon worlds, and 20,000 mining colonies on airless moons).  Terrestrial Giants, Terrestrial Planets and Giant Moons got 300 hexes each, Dwarf Terrestrials and Large Moons got 14 hexes each, and Medium and Small Moons got 2 hexes each.  Each hex got points for agricultural and mineral resources, plus access to water, and ended up with a 'habitability' score.  The population was then distributed across the hexes in proportion to the habitability rating.  (So a hex with a habitability score of 10 would have twice as many people as one with a score of 5).

28,000+ cities have been placed into the database.  Each planet, regardless of population, got one city in the most populous hex.  For more densely populated worlds, each hex with at least 50 million inhabitants got a city.  Taking the mining moons out of the equation, that translates to an average of 3.4 cities per world, which pretty well matches the fiction.  There were some outliers - Atreus, for example, had over 100 cities.

I'm now going through and matching the canon cities up with the ones spit out by the autogenerator code.  Next up - placing factory complexes, military bases, HPGs, arenas, research facilities, academies, DropPorts, seaports, airports and rail hubs. 

Bakga

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 22 April 2011, 03:43:14 »
Say Mendrugo, wouldn't a separate thread for succession wars be useful?

And how exactly is the game played. I'm quite intressted in the idea but can't imagine how to play this all out.

-Bakga

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #22 on: 22 April 2011, 04:09:27 »
Say Mendrugo, wouldn't a separate thread for succession wars be useful?

And how exactly is the game played. I'm quite intressted in the idea but can't imagine how to play this all out.

-Bakga

We actually have a whole site with a forum where I have a FAQ on the gameplay and a running blog of progress updates.

FAQ:  http://www.successionwars.com/cin/viewforum.php?f=67
Progress Update thread: http://www.successionwars.com/cin/viewtopic.php?t=1519

I just added the above update because we're getting close.  (I hope to have the database finished by August).

The system is a turn-based campaign management tool.  Players use a point-and-click interface to move their units around, give them orders, and micromanage their structure (down to the level of selecting the appearance and names of their MechWarriors). 

Acting as a remote commander giving orders via HPG, you map out actions for the unit to take over the course of a month, broken down by the hour.  Don't worry, you don't have to go down a list saying what to do for each of the 720 hours.  You just tell the unit what you want it to do, and it will keep a running total of how many hours that consumes and how many are left.

It's planned for players to have five days to enter their moves for their units, and then the GMs will take two days for the results of those moves to be executed.  (It depends on how computationally intensive the process is.  If the server happily runs a turn update in a matter of minutes, we may tighten the resolution period.)

Each star system in the BattleTech universe is represented, and you can actually land troops on other worlds of the system than the main colony.  (Ever wanted to check out the airless deserts of Hesperus III, or the prison colony on the moon of Hesperus V?)  Planets are represented by Planetary Invasion-style worldmaps with a variety of terrain types and strategic facilities to battle over (cities, factories, academies, research centers, arenas, forts, maglev rail hubs, DropPorts, airports, seaports, and HPGs).  Large worlds have 300 hexes to play around in, while dwarf planets and large moons have 14.  Small/Medium moons have just 2.

It's pretty much a sandbox Inner Sphere.  You can choose a role that you like (military leader, mercenary, pirate, free trader, corporate chairman, planetary noble, etc.) and use your resources to further whatever agenda you choose.

Bakga

• Private
« Reply #23 on: 23 April 2011, 06:24:56 »
Is the beta actually running?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #24 on: 23 April 2011, 07:05:03 »
Is the beta actually running?

Nope.  Still in development.  The forums are places to post updates and get feedback on features.