Author Topic: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?  (Read 39204 times)

VhenRa

• Captain
Re: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?
« Reply #60 on: 11 October 2018, 02:44:09 »
As I remember, the WOB whispered "quietly, quietly," to everyone in orbit and jumped out.  And the Highlanders assumed they were still there and never checked.  And no one else did either.

Or so they say!  Dun dun DUN!

(I hate the Highlanders and the passes they receive, so I may be biased.  A little.)

Perfidious Northwind. A whole planet of compulsive traitors who seem to take any excuse to backstab whoever they are supposed to be on side with at the time.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 11 October 2018, 06:11:53 »
Aren't Romanov's Crusaders for all intents and purposes the 3rd Knights of the Inner Sphere?

They're essentially the FWL Foreign Legion, plus chivalry.

I'm all over that. Seems like a good way to have characters from non-FWL backgrounds fighting in my FWL-themed campaign!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 11 October 2018, 17:02:46 »
Something to do with a few Regiments of Royal Highlanders and the fact that they took many clantech weapons from Huntress and / or bought them straight from the Foxes themselves...

Not really hard to make a IIC from a Standard 732 / 733, the 732b uses DHS but everything else is bog standard. Would you fight a full regiment of IICs without Warship support? Not to mention they have some of the best techs in the universe who fought the clans in one of the most bloodiest battles? AND even more scarier is the fact most of their lightest mechs barely weigh less than 50 tons?!? These people like to assault you with everything including that haggis they were cooking for snack time! Not to mention their taste of music... wailing bagpipes anyone?  8) Would you rather face a clan Binary of TC-pulse mechs or a Lance of Highlander-733C leading an Emperor-6A and paired Wyvern-5N's in a city?

Not to mention all that clan loot they brought back...

TT

EDIT: For better clarity and wording structure.
So what ya saying Truetanker, you Word of Blake lover  8), is that they either handed a bunch of that nice tech over to Wobbies as a tribute, or you guys forgot your keys to the WMD locker when it  to Northwind.  Because it not like orbital weapons fire was unknown to Wobbies.

Perfidious Northwind. A whole planet of compulsive traitors who seem to take any excuse to backstab whoever they are supposed to be on side with at the time.
Very True and well spoken.

(I hate the Highlanders and the passes they receive, so I may be biased.  A little.)
Don't feel alone, that pass is what turned me against them
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #63 on: 11 October 2018, 17:48:12 »
No

None of the above....

It was more like, shut up and be quiet or else!

Naw, I jest... no idea really.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 16 October 2018, 18:26:24 »
Kraken Unleashed.

With units like the Argo Submersible Carrier they wold pose a really unique challenge to an invading unit that most probably wouldn't be ready for...particularly if Intel doesn't have them on planet. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if it often happens that an invading force just does not include, or brings way to few torpedoes/similar naval weapons, as part of their inventory in their tightly packed Dropships.

..and Camacho's Caballeros/17th Recon Regiment...because everything about them reeks of  awesome, and I feel Victor Milán really brought some flavor to the unit and the Trinity Worlds. You also have killer characters like Cassie Abtakha Suthorn, Marisol La Dama de la Muerte Cabrera, Rabbi Bar-Kochba, Colonel Carlos Tiburon Camacho, and Kali Dark Lady MacDougall. A unit with mech drivers so intuitive, they practice by playing football with their mechs, and can probably pull round house kicks on your cockpit in melee with ease.

« Last Edit: 16 October 2018, 19:47:08 by pat_hdx »

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #65 on: 16 October 2018, 19:30:19 »
Rubinsky's Light Horse. Have liked them ever since reading The Capellan Solution duology.

The Black Thorns...well, okay in the first novel, the second was kind of meh. But Esmeralda and Badicus were both really cool characters.

And can't help but have a soft spot for Wilson's Hussars. A fun unit to campaign as.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 17 October 2018, 16:26:07 »
To me, Grey Death Legion.

First book I read was Thunder Rift, and how they started small and always tried to think outside the box to handle problems.  It was also the Mercenary unit that would say no to their employers when they believed their employers crossed the line.  I am still mad about how they were treated by the writers after their fight against the Free Skye at Hesperus.  Of Course, I think the entire Jihad was, well everyone complains about how the writers write something, but I have a major beef with the writers about the Jihad. 

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 17 October 2018, 16:48:18 »
Could I leave this here?

Vost Lance

* runs away...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #68 on: 18 October 2018, 18:45:41 »
Could I leave this here?

Vost Lance

* runs away...

TT

We must sacrifice Truetanker to appease the chickens.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 18 October 2018, 19:16:06 »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 21 November 2018, 23:05:54 »
TT to the Chickens.... ::)  but what if they get his level of Evilness 8)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 21 November 2018, 23:09:34 »
:stupid:

TT to the Chickens.... ::)  but what if they get his level of Evilness 8)

And to show no hard feelings, this sums up me: For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast...

TT
« Last Edit: 21 November 2018, 23:11:30 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: 22 November 2018, 02:44:12 »

True, in fact one could argue that the Gray Death Legion was treated far more harshly for 'treachery' that was actually justified. The traitor 'Goons also got a bit of a free pass until the Blakists were allowed to maul them.

Back to the OP:

Fiction-wise, Camacho's Caballeros were an interesting force to me for their history and ethno-cultural makeup, and despite their dezgra anti-Clan bias ;)

From the Field Manuals the Raging Horde would be the one I'd most like to read more about in fiction, being founded by ex-Clanners. Gameplay-wise it's a perfect excuse to get a bunch of different Clanners together in the same unit.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 22 November 2018, 02:46:11 »
True, in fact one could argue that the Gray Death Legion was treated far more harshly for 'treachery' that was actually justified. The traitor 'Goons also got a bit of a free pass until the Blakists were allowed to maul them.

Back to the OP:

Fiction-wise, Camacho's Caballeros were an interesting force to me for their history and ethno-cultural makeup, and despite their dezgra anti-Clan bias ;)

From the Field Manuals the Raging Horde would be the one I'd most like to read more about in fiction, being founded by ex-Clanners. Gameplay-wise it's a perfect excuse to get a bunch of different Clanners together in the same unit. The only drawback is that it's an all-infantry unit so no Timber Wolf or Kodiak mechs  :(
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #74 on: 22 November 2018, 08:54:38 »
Team Banzai because... well... who doesnt love Buckaroo Banzai? :)

Also Blue Star Irregulars because they were one of the only Merc units to actually capture a WarShip… but didnt have a clue what to do with it.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #75 on: 22 November 2018, 09:39:34 »
Personally I'm a fan of the 17th Recon.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #76 on: 22 November 2018, 14:48:03 »
Because there's always the danger of someone else jumping in to spring the tiger from the trap. The WOB could have nuked them from orbit at any time, and would have if elimination was their objective.

I can't remember WHY they were spared though.

Basically because the Word was busy fighting everyone else at the time, so it was easier to just isolate the Highlanders and deal with them later.  Given Northwind's historic importance to the Star League, the Blakists probably wanted to capture the planet rather than destroy it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #77 on: 22 November 2018, 15:05:49 »
Vegan Rangers. Plant based food for life....

Huh? What?  That's not what they're about?
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #78 on: 22 November 2018, 15:32:31 »
Now, as far as favorite merc groups go, honestly at this point I'd say Storm's Metal Thunder purely because they've got the coolest name of any merc group ever.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #79 on: 23 November 2018, 01:27:01 »

Are you implying they are not vegans?
Shoot first, laugh later.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #80 on: 23 November 2018, 05:53:29 »
Are you implying they are not vegans?

They are vay-gans; they are not vee-gans.

So much easier if you just hear it out loud. :)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #81 on: 23 November 2018, 09:01:23 »

And they are lead by Dark vegan...right?

http://johnnytest.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Vegan
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 23 November 2018, 11:26:39 »
I like to think that since BattleTech isn't "the future" but "the future from the 1980s and we've already passed the point of divergence" that Vee-gans never were a thing in the BTU timeline.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 23 November 2018, 12:14:53 »
Well, lifestyle vegans existed as early as 200 BC, so...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #84 on: 23 November 2018, 13:10:32 »
The Vegan Rangers racked up three Vegan Violations and were all arrested by the Vegan Police.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 23 November 2018, 13:59:17 »
The Vegan Rangers racked up three Vegan Violations and were all arrested by the Vegan Police.
NO VEGAN DIET, NO VEGAN POWERS!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #86 on: 23 November 2018, 14:27:16 »
See, what they don't tell you, is the symbol between the V is a stylized stalk of Broccolini...

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #87 on: 23 November 2018, 14:31:22 »
I like to think that since BattleTech isn't "the future" but "the future from the 1980s and we've already passed the point of divergence" that Vee-gans never were a thing in the BTU timeline.

3025 is the future of the 80's. 3050 is the 90's. The Jihad is the future of the 2000's. 3100's onwards are definitely the future of now.

and its kinda gotta be because we want new players.

Also this was an example of me outting myself. I generally keep it on the downlow. People say, "How do you know someone is vegan? They'll tell you." but I think that's missing the part where everybody is like, "Hey man do you want one of these *insert food item here*." and I'm like, "No man, I can't. I'm a vegan."

And so the Vegan Rangers are my favorite now just for irony's sake.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

MyndkryM

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #88 on: 25 November 2018, 12:19:11 »
ELH - I just really dig that they were portrayed as the "professional" mercs, and being an Armor/Cavalry vet myself, it just checks all the right boxes (Cav, combined arms, etc.) ;D

Team Banzai - As said earlier...what's not to love about a hat tip to Buckaroo Banzai!!!!
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #89 on: 26 November 2018, 15:39:18 »
Raging Horde, when I want to show somewhere a Battle Armor nightmare . . .

The Roughriders for the name and their actions during the Jihad after Bromhead.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register