Author Topic: Capellan Holovid show  (Read 2891 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Capellan Holovid show
« on: 15 June 2019, 17:43:11 »
For a mission in the CapCon against the House, your target is a holovid star named Brock Armstrong- he does all his own stunts- who is the lead in a show called 'Mercenaries.'  I could see that being a show in the Lyran Commonwealth but the Capellan Confederation during Max/Romano?  I would expect something more like a Warrior House epic.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Capellan Holovid show
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2019, 18:33:43 »
One of the side characters in Vic Milan’s BattleTech work was a Capellan actor who made martial arts epics like “Exit the Dragon.”  He trained at the Capellan Arts Institute.  By that metric, Capellan media, even in 3025, is probably chock full of variants of every Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movie, as long as the state is properly venerated therein.

While Mercenaries doesn’t seem to fit that mold explicitly, keep in mind that McCarron’s Armored Cavalry just finished its successful anti-Davion “Long March” campaign in 3022.  3025-26 is long enough for an adaptation to be launched, and the “doing own stunts” fits the Capellan Art Institute’s established modus operandi.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2019, 18:36:50 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2019, 19:09:31 »
Tune in next week for another episode of Mercenaries, For the further adventures of BROCK ARMSTRONG!

His father was a loyal Warrior House WARRIOR, who was betrayed by a foul TRAITOR who took filthy DAVION money!
Now, his family name DISGRACED and with nothing to his name but a beat up VINDICATOR, Brock seems justice, with the hope to clear his family name and restore their HONOUR before the Chancellor!

Play recruiting ads during the breaks, portray him as a loyal Cappie forced to clear his name, fighting evil, scheming Davion dogs and you got a show!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2019, 19:16:53 »
The Emperor in traditional Imperial Chinese thought was above criticism (unless it had clearly lost the Mandate of Heaven), but officials in the government could be accused of being corrupt.  So it could be in the Confederation as well, with the show serving as a vehicle to criticize local corruption, while keeping the Chancellor above reproach.  Characters can expose the corrupt official, the authorities sweep in and remove him, so the show helps the real population imagine there is a sense of justice within the system. 

Also if the character is a mercenary, he could go on raids into Davion territory and the show could serve to show Davion worlds as neglected backwaters, or their cities as dens of iniquity.

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2019, 22:09:11 »
Don't forget the intermission safety-advisory, telling the youngsters to brush their teeth, look both ways before boarding the tram, and watch out for those pesky Davion spies. Oh, and also, informing the school counselor or local authorities if their parents say unpatriotic things at home. Those reeducation camps aren't going to fill themselves, it'll be fun for the whole family.

"Remember kids, there is no control, like State Control. But, learning what too forget, is half the battle."
« Last Edit: 15 June 2019, 22:17:59 by Ogra_Chief »
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2019, 01:09:27 »
Point of order - MERCENARIES! and Brock Armstrong is a Davion Holovid! I mean a Taurian Concordat holovid! Seriously though, who produces the show and which factions want to kill Brock Armstrong is variable in the game even ignoring how often he get to kill him.

That said we really need more detail on in-universe holovids, only a few examples get any serious detail :(

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2019, 02:04:18 »
One of the side characters in Vic Milan’s BattleTech work was a Capellan actor who made martial arts epics like “Exit the Dragon.”  He trained at the Capellan Arts Institute.  By that metric, Capellan media, even in 3025, is probably chock full of variants of every Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movie, as long as the state is properly venerated therein.

While Mercenaries doesn’t seem to fit that mold explicitly, keep in mind that McCarron’s Armored Cavalry just finished its successful anti-Davion “Long March” campaign in 3022.  3025-26 is long enough for an adaptation to be launched, and the “doing own stunts” fits the Capellan Art Institute’s established modus operandi.

Exit the Dragon was a Combine film series though, done by "Voice of the Dragon Studios" (aka the propaganda arm of the ISF), who had somehow managed to lure* Johnny Tchang away from the Capcon. The titles of his earlier films that made him a star are not given.

*which probably proved easier than it seemed to VotD, since Johnny Tchang eventually reveals he is an agent of the maskirovka.. albeit somewhat against his will.

and as far as non-capcon shows go, Larsha on the edge of Capcon space near the periphery was able to show a Fedsuns/fedcom holovid series, a soap opera depicting a fictionalized version of the Steiner and Davion royal families. so presumably as long as the show doesn't overtly undermine faith in the Chancellor and the Capcon government, they'll allow it with some censoring.

that said i have no doubt that most of the successor states have their own equivalents of stuff like the Immortal Warrior series (which appears to be Lyran made but set (nominally) in the fedsuns) and the like.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2019, 03:39:22 »
One of the side characters in Vic Milan’s BattleTech work was a Capellan actor who made martial arts epics like “Exit the Dragon.”

Personally, I preferred his work in "Standing Tiger, Visible Dragon."

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2019, 04:14:27 »
What exactly is the question?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2019, 05:40:32 »
Exit the Dragon was a Combine film series though, done by "Voice of the Dragon Studios" (aka the propaganda arm of the ISF), who had somehow managed to lure* Johnny Tchang away from the Capcon. The titles of his earlier films that made him a star are not given.

*which probably proved easier than it seemed to VotD, since Johnny Tchang eventually reveals he is an agent of the maskirovka.. albeit somewhat against his will.

and as far as non-capcon shows go, Larsha on the edge of Capcon space near the periphery was able to show a Fedsuns/fedcom holovid series, a soap opera depicting a fictionalized version of the Steiner and Davion royal families. so presumably as long as the show doesn't overtly undermine faith in the Chancellor and the Capcon government, they'll allow it with some censoring.

that said i have no doubt that most of the successor states have their own equivalents of stuff like the Immortal Warrior series (which appears to be Lyran made but set (nominally) in the fedsuns) and the like.

Actually the same book does mention one of his earlier movies - Police Story: 3054 or something like that.
Cassie mentions she knows Johnie can drive a forklift because she saw it in said movie and knew he did all his own stunts

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2019, 10:46:40 »
Maskirovka agents secretly keeping the IS safe from the tetatae invasion

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?