Author Topic: What would a typical officer career path be like?  (Read 3424 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
What would a typical officer career path be like?
« on: 29 May 2019, 15:28:19 »
Pretty simple, what would a career officer's path be like 3SW, 4SW/3039, or Clan Invasion from academy graduation to the end?  For any House or Periphery realm?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

massey

• Captain
Re: What would a typical officer career path be like?
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2019, 16:01:25 »
Baron von Nobody has three sons.  His first son will inherit lands and title.  His second son joins ComStar/runs off to be a Solaris gladiator/becomes a mercenary.  The third son takes a battlemech and joins up with the House regiment that dad has the most pull with.  Based upon his level of mech, his level of political connections, and how much money dad contributes to the commanding officer/noble, Junior enters with a particular rank.

Let's say he starts as a Lieutenant, commanding a mech lance.  He's 22 years old, an academy grad, a 5/6 pilot, and he's got a Shadow Hawk that dad managed to buy for him.  Theoretically he could stay there forever, and never advance.  To go up in rank, he's either going to need to show competence, or dad is going to have to make some more donations.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2019, 16:19:52 »
I'd say that there's probably not nearly as much mobility in unit composition as there is in the modern US military.  You don't have guys who are mechwarriors with the Davion Heavy Guards, who transfer to the 3rd Crucis Lancers, and then goes to do a stint with the Draconis March Militia for a couple years before doing a tour with the Fed Suns Armored Cavalry, then cross-training for a year with an artillery brigade, then taking a desk job for a couple years, then getting some LAM training, and finally finishing out your career with command of the second battalion of the Fifth Ceti Hussars.

That probably doesn't happen.  Instead you probably join one unit, and stick with that unit.  Half of that unit's mechs are probably owned by a Duke or a Marquis, and he's not gonna want people he trained (and who are loyal to him) to go off somewhere else and work for some other noble.  So there's probably not as much upward mobility in terms of rank.  You probably don't have a standard progression where you go up every few years.  You probably have to wait for spots to open.  Then you're more competent than the other people waiting for that spot.  Either that, or you buy yourself a command.

So let's say that Junior von Nobody has finished the academy, is a 5/6 pilot, and has a tactics roll of 7+ on 2D6 (2nd ed Mechwarrior).  Well, he's not all that great.  If he wants to rise above Lieutenant, and lead more than a lance, then he's going to need to be better.  He's going to have to wait until Captain Jones, leader of his mech company, isn't in charge anymore (death, capture, retirement, his own promotion, or whatever).  And when that happens he needs to be the best candidate of all the lance commanders.  Or his family can make a donation to ensure his promotion.  If his daddy can swing a deal where another lance of mechs are made available to his son's unit, well than guess who the new Captain is?

This would probably be especially common in the Lyran Commonwealth.  They have lots of social generals who just bought their way into command.  The Fed Suns probably has more people who earn their position as far as command goes, but they've got problems of extremely powerful nobles who have their own virtually private armies.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 15:24:22 »
I can see that for being the case in the 3SW and 4SW when regional commanders had more power and the setting was at its most feudalistic.

But when we start turning to the 3040s and especially 3050-3060s when the professional military mentality is heavy into the setting .

While we have examples like Wendy Sylvester/Kerner who was in the DHG for two thirds of her career, she was rotated out in '67 to command the 2nd NAIS Cadre to pass on that experience until it was broken up in '78.  Her parents were career DHG troopers and it was a family tradition going back two or more generations.

Then you have Dixon Zibler, commanded the 1st FS Lancers in '64 (and maybe before?) and was transferred at some point to command the Dav Assault Guards in '67 where he ended up staying during the Jihad until at least New Avalon was freed.

Or look at Andrew Redburn . . .

Graduated Warrior's Hall in the early 3020s, posting unknown
Late 3020s he was assigned to the Kittery Training Battalion as XO, taking command after Allard was injured
The Kittery Training BN was broken up to fill slots, Redburn & a majority of pilots were transferred to the Dav Light Guards, 1st BN in Jan 3028
Aug 3029, Delta Company is transferred with other remnants to Morgan Hasek-Davion's command to form the Uhlans
By 3039 he had been promoted to command the 1st Kahtil Uhlans
He joined the Star League after the Uhlans were disbanded by the FS b/c of TF Serpent Losses
After 3077 he was the CO of Stone's Liberators for campaigns on Mars & Terra.

Star League and onwards, I would agree is not a standard career track . . .

Even if they are just transferred in the same group command- say like lance commander in a DLC regiment, company CO in the same DLC regiment but different BN, BN XO in another regiment, BN CO in another DLC regiment, etc.

The NAIS Cadre (or similar & academy instructors) though should be drawn from experienced soldiers who can try to pass on their experiences (like Wendy) from across the House military.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2019, 17:20:27 »
From the AToW perspective, every junior officer should start with Tour of Duty out of the Academy.  From there, most probably rotate to a "Civilian Job" as a staff officer, but some may repeat the "Tour of Duty" module despite the drawbacks.  The really "lucky" ones get picked for other assignments like "Explorer" in the Periphery, or "Covert Ops" (after Intelligence training of some kind if they're REALLY lucky).  The good news about the "Civilian Job" module is that there's no XP penalty for taking more than one, so those on the "staff" track will absolutely do well, as will those that alternate with more operational tours (hey, just like the real world... who knew?).

smcwatt

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2019, 09:57:00 »
Slow. Some of the unit CO's have been in place for decades, progression past Lance commander must be glacial.

SMc.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2019, 15:58:02 »
If you stay operational, that's absolutely true... senior officers need both operational and staff experience.  I'm not surprised that AToW reflects that.  In fact, I think it's a plus.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2019, 16:09:27 »
Slow. Some of the unit CO's have been in place for decades, progression past Lance commander must be glacial.

SMc.

3050-3057 were probably good years to be a back line officer looking for a shot in the AFFC and DCMS

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2019, 23:03:42 »
You also have to take into account when you look at a officer career path. A officer with the FedCom during the war of 3039 is probably going to be with one unit their entire career as apposed to an officer during the initial Clan Invasion that just had unit after unit destroyed by the Clans.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2019, 09:33:01 »
Problem is there are sound doctrinal and strategic reasons to rotate your commanding officers (which gets into the staff college question before) even if its just in regions- so a mechwarrior who is being promoted to be a lance commander rotates out of a CLC regiment to be a Drac March Militia regiment lance commander.  His next promotion places him as a company XO among the Robinson Rangers before he finds himself back in a different CLC regiment in the Drac March as a company commander.
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2019, 16:38:53 »
Flag and General officers usually have (more properly: NEED) both Command and Staff experience.  If an O-6 only has one or the other, odds are they won't be promoted.  And if they are promoted anyway, the Successor State in question shouldn't expect a good result...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2019, 16:48:56 »
Yeah, to be honest each regional command should have a staff college of some sort, but that has been discussed before.  Part of the benefit of moving the officer around is they are exposed to more conditions and other approaches to tactical problems.
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2019, 17:24:11 »
Not all problems are tactical, and that's the value of Staff experience...

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 02 July 2019, 05:16:53 »
Problem is there are sound doctrinal and strategic reasons to rotate your commanding officers (which gets into the staff college question before) even if its just in regions- so a mechwarrior who is being promoted to be a lance commander rotates out of a CLC regiment to be a Drac March Militia regiment lance commander.  His next promotion places him as a company XO among the Robinson Rangers before he finds himself back in a different CLC regiment in the Drac March as a company commander.
Only problem I can see with this is that BT seems to use the regimental system, specifically that of the 1800's, so people being transferred to other regiments shouldn't be very common. Other then that I'd say that any staff officer should probably be trained in at least two arms, so most MechWarrior's have probably also been through pilot or tanker training, and likely have put in some time in those arms.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2019, 09:41:46 »
Only problem I can see with this is that BT seems to use the regimental system, specifically that of the 1800's, so people being transferred to other regiments shouldn't be very common. Other then that I'd say that any staff officer should probably be trained in at least two arms, so most MechWarrior's have probably also been through pilot or tanker training, and likely have put in some time in those arms.

Yes, that was brought up on the staff college topic.  Its a interesting loss of technology along with some of the other things that Hanse recovered in the 4SW.

It would be interesting to see if a change to at least the Prussian staff model of the late 1800s would give a qualitative edge to any House.
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2019, 18:28:34 »
Staff college topic?  Did I miss that?   I'm faculty at one of those things at the moment, and don't recall one...   ???

In other words: link please!  :)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2019, 01:24:14 »
Colt's post before yours before mine would be my guess.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2019, 03:52:30 »
Ah, I see... I initially took him to mean "thread"...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2019, 15:41:52 »
No, there was a thread a few months back that dealt with it, forgot to search to look for it.

Here- https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63881.msg1471061#msg1471061
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 03 July 2019, 16:07:12 »
Thanks for the link!  :thumbsup:

I see I commented on that one too, but six months is a LONG time when measured by internet standards...  ^-^

The Napoleonic staff model has one big advantage: units up, down and across the chain of command know exactly who they need to talk to on any given topic.  The US Combatant Commands periodically experiment with other staff models, and it always ends in confusion and reversion to the "known standard".  If I'm an Intel guy on one staff, I know automatically I need to look for people with a "2" code in any other staff I'm talking to.  Of course, what it really depends on is the one picking up the phone being willing to help the other end find the right person.  That's harder to train people to understand than you'd think.  "Not my job" is too reflexive for humans...  ::)

Register