Author Topic: Unaugmented Combat  (Read 1684 times)

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
Unaugmented Combat
« on: 24 May 2016, 08:44:04 »
I’m looking for a way to do unaugmented combat between elementals without reaching for the role playing game.  This would be for a trial of position and/or trial of bloodright in a non-roleplaying narrative style campaign.  I’ve thought of just rolling off, but would like to do the combat if possible. 

If possible, I’d like three types of combat/options
-Bare fisted
-Hand weapons (knife etc.)
-Small arms – this last one could be fought using conventional infantry rules with one man rifle platoons. 

Has anyone tried this before? 

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Unaugmented Combat
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2016, 09:32:49 »
Pretty sure "unaugmented" is bare-fisted for Clans. A knife fight is augmented combat. This is a plot point at times, where "unaugmented trial" is violated by a side pulling a gun or something (at least without clever wording, like Kael Pershaw did once...).
Just pointing this out.

Unsure how you could accomplish unaugmented/small arms melee combat without RPG rules though.
You could construct infantry squads with one member and each armed with one knife but that would most likely end with both combatants dying (using normal Battletech rules) in the first round. (Given that combatants are Elementals, the knife could represent fists as those lack rules in non-RPG environment.)

Alternatively you could construct a pair of 'Mechs not armed with anything and use them to simulate a fist fight somehow.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2016, 10:18:05 »
Lol . . . give a Wasp a sword, no other weapons, no jump jets, no fiddly bits . . . and go at each other.  Open map unless you are selecting say woodland or something for the fight.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2016, 14:17:26 »

Unsure how you could accomplish unaugmented/small arms melee combat without RPG rules though.
You could construct infantry squads with one member and each armed with one knife but that would most likely end with both combatants dying (using normal Battletech rules) in the first round.

Dying of boredom in the 100th turn, maybe...

A knife at the BT scale has a damage rating of 0.02; you'd need 25 troopers armed with knives to be able to even hope of doing a point of damage at that scale; even if the attack hits, you'd need to roll 11+ on the cluster hits table in order to actually deliver that one point of damage... and the loss of a single trooper makes it impossible to deal any damage at all. Since a single-trooper, single-squad platoon can take 1 point of damage, there is no way to kill it.

(Given that combatants are Elementals, the knife could represent fists as those lack rules in non-RPG environment.)

A better alternative might be the Club (Blackjack/Sap), which is a non-penetrating, point blank weapon that can deliver 0.05 points of damage; you'd need 10 troopers do deliver 1 point of damage... on a cluster hits roll of 11+

The other problem with trying to simulate personal combat at the BT "mech-scale" board is that initiative/damage resolution means that all damage is simultaneous.

It can be done, however;

1) create two single-trooper "platoons". Each trooper armed with a "Sap" (0.05) damage, and wearing "summer clothes" (divisor 0.5 armor; effectively doubling damage received).

2) establish a threshold; "first blood", "three hits", "submission", "death", or any mutually agreed total.

3) conduct combat normally: each side rolls initiative, declares attacks, resolves the attack (i.e. "rolls to-hit"), and assigns damage, without rounding the damage received or checking cluster hits: each hit deals 0.1 points of damage.

"First Blood" = first one to hit the other wins. if both hit "first" (i.e. both hit in the first turn), either declare a draw, or continue the fight until one hits and the other one doesn't.

"Three Hits" = What it says on the tin: first one to hit the opponent three times wins.

"Submission" = Five hits are required, representing the 0.5 threshold where one normally rounds up to 1; the opponent either yielded, got knocked out/silly, or his companions intervened by "throwing in the towel"; in either case, the opponent either survives (or an infantry survival check is done).

"Death" = Ten hits are needed; the loser dies, does not pass Go and does not collect 200 C-bills.

Just an idea, of course.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2016, 13:42:55 »
Dying of boredom in the 100th turn, maybe...

A knife at the BT scale has a damage rating of 0.02; you'd need 25 troopers armed with knives to be able to even hope of doing a point of damage at that scale; even if the attack hits, you'd need to roll 11+ on the cluster hits table in order to actually deliver that one point of damage... and the loss of a single trooper makes it impossible to deal any damage at all. Since a single-trooper, single-squad platoon can take 1 point of damage, there is no way to kill it.

Right, i made a mistake when i rounded the final damage up when it should be rounded normally, ie 0.
Either way, one might as well flip a coin for the result.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2016, 19:41:54 »
Give each person an "Unagmented" Skill like piloting or gunnery (or use the Piloting skill for MechWarriors and the Anti-Mech skill for Elementals). Have each roll the skill once per turn. Highest MOS does 1 point of damage. Each Mechwarrior has 6 points using the same consciousness rolls for pilot damage. Each elemental gets 1 or 2 freebies, then onto the next 6 like the MechWarriors. Last one still conscious wins. Keep the damage for further rounds.

Fluff as necessary for entertainment value.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2016, 17:23:13 »
Pretty sure "unaugmented" is bare-fisted for Clans. A knife fight is augmented combat. This is a plot point at times, where "unaugmented trial" is violated by a side pulling a gun or something (at least without clever wording, like Kael Pershaw did once...).

Yup. At one point - in Grave Covenant IIRC - Vlad has to remove the cast off his broken arm for unaugmented combat, because it would have counted as a club.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2016, 11:24:51 »
Nope, Malicious Intent, when he goes to execute nominative ilKhan Crichell.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2016, 13:49:46 »
Nope, Malicious Intent, when he goes to execute nominative ilKhan Crichell.

I stand corrected.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century