Author Topic: Creating a new merc unit: 1st things 1st  (Read 10600 times)

Squeesidhe

• Private
Creating a new merc unit: 1st things 1st
« on: 10 May 2011, 20:55:56 »
Creating a new merc unit for Battletech requires a lot of decision making from the ground up, and it's important to prioritize to ensure that you're focusing on the most important things first. That's why I began by using the Eve Online character tool to create a hot mechwarrior babe to lead the main lance!

Squeesidhe

• Private
Re: Creating a new merc unit: 1st things 1st
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2011, 20:57:08 »
Mechwarriors work out a lot, and are pretty fit, as can be seen here.

MaxieTPB

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2011, 21:05:27 »
I approve of this deep planning, and I think there needs to be much more of this.

Nightstalker

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2011, 21:08:37 »
I thought I recognized an EVE toon when I saw the pics.

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2011, 21:11:28 »
Getting ready for mechbiker bar

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2011, 21:12:58 »
 [notworthy]

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2011, 21:15:59 »
Best part is, she's dressed for the heat in her mech already!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2011, 21:17:15 »
These little plugs in her back, probably hard to make out here due to forum posting limitations, must be advanced post-Jihad VDNI implants. Either that or Eve included them because they looked cool in the Matrix.

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2011, 21:28:58 »
"Hi there handsome! I'm a post-racial space heiress with stylish neo-primitive facial tattoos and nose ring. Percentage of body fat: zero. Turn ons: PPCs, jump jets and gothic romances starring plucky female private eyes who are also witch-fairy-psychics who are torn between charming yet reserved vampire-werewolves and buff yet aggressive mummy-leprechauns. Turn offs: boring histories about the Word of Blake, insufficient heat sinks, Venusian brain parasites. Hypergoogle me anytime, we'll do space lunch!"

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2011, 21:33:50 »
Actually I would have put her from Canupus or maybe the more interesting parts of the Capellan Confederation.  ;)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2011, 21:34:47 »
What the- ???

*Shakes head*

I'll get something posted up soon.
The one, the only, the unnecessary Falchion!

Stingray

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2011, 21:46:05 »
Why do I have the feeling first game you play with this mechwarrior character either she can't hit the broad side of the barn she is in or becomes a victim of gauss slug to the head.....

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2011, 22:45:12 »
Why do I have the feeling first game you play with this mechwarrior character either she can't hit the broad side of the barn she is in or becomes a victim of gauss slug to the head.....

Sexist! Just because she doesn't have Stacey Church arms...

Blacksheep

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2011, 00:59:34 »
Dude, you are in serious need of a Date ::)

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2011, 01:09:15 »

He was just making fun of the ol' GM adage, the more intricately you plan, the more it goes to hell.

But oh yeah, Stacy Church is my kind of girl to be a new Black Widow. Tough, hot, loyal, and with a vicious streak a mile wide.  ;D

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2011, 04:43:09 »

Mm... Stacey Church arms...
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2011, 09:01:41 »
Dude, you are in serious need of a Date ::)

Nope, married actually. I just like making characters.   :)

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2011, 11:35:33 »
Morn's Moaners?
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2011, 01:10:46 »
Morn's Sirens?  AKA Ms.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Blacksheep

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2011, 01:20:00 »
Nope, married actually. I just like making characters.   :)

That explains a lot ;)

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2011, 04:39:09 »
Creating a new merc unit for Battletech requires a lot of decision making from the ground up, and it's important to prioritize to ensure that you're focusing on the most important things first. That's why I began by using the Eve Online character tool to create a hot mechwarrior babe to lead the main lance!

because Piloting and Gunnery skills just aren't important to the game.   [cheers]
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2011, 18:46:14 »

because Piloting and Gunnery skills just aren't important to the game.   [cheers]

...sure!

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2011, 19:00:37 »
My merc unit CO can be weakier than Milquetoast, uglier than the back end of a cow suffering from a 3rd degree prolapse, and have a  prediliction for getting freaky with pomeranians while wearing one of Aramis's g-strings over their face just as long as (s)he's also posseses an excellent Combat Sense, is Wealthy, Titled, and Well-connected with a 3+ in Admin, Negotiations, Leadership, Tactics and Strategy.

Such a person has a beauty all their own...  ;D ;D

-Jackmc 

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2011, 22:32:12 »
Combat types are easy to find, but your unit really needs is a really good financial wizard who can keep the bills paid.

And a really hot looking babe or three. Actually I was thinking along the lines of an all female outfit....

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2011, 00:23:43 »
And a really hot looking babe or three. Actually I was thinking along the lines of an all female outfit....

Though their skills are of the highest caliber, the Iron Maidens are most widely known to the masses through their highly sought pinups, calendars, tri-vids, posters and holos.  In fact, the Iron Maidens merchandising is so succesful that it generates enough income to cover their annual operating expenses......and then some.

http://www.blackhawksarmoredcav.com/ironmaidens01.html

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2011, 07:22:49 »
Yeah, I've seen the Black Hawks Armored Cavalry. What gave me the idea was an older, smaller unit called the Femme Fatales.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2011, 07:28:16 »
...an older, smaller unit called the Femme Fatales.

do we have a link ?

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2011, 17:04:30 »
That link is long since vanished. It was a pre-Clan unit, so it goes back a long ways.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2011, 17:26:51 »
That link is long since vanished. It was a pre-Clan unit, so it goes back a long ways.

Ahhhh  the good old days.  or as some like me would say, the best days.

Tiki Monkey

• Private
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2011, 20:47:59 »
I thought that Laurel's Legion was a all female unit as well, at least in the old FASA House Liao book.
It doesn't take long for men to make a decision. It's making a decision look smart that takes the time.

Squeesidhe

• Private
« Reply #30 on: 19 May 2011, 01:25:21 »
In my merc company, the sweet yet secretly tough corporate CO who leads the company will be played by Jule Benz because I'm watching Dexter right now. Of course the cocky male pilot will be played by Nate Fillion. The mechwarrior who cracks jokes and saves the day at the last minute even though you thought she was killed in that nuke explosion obviously has to be played by Anna Faris.

I still haven't settled on a name, but I'm kind of leaning toward the Black Knights, from Independence Day.

I think Arielle Morn should carry a grumpy white Persian with her wherever she goes. She pilots the Lich, which she won in the games on Solaris.

There needs to be an older male mechwarrior who is the mentor and who chomps on a cigar. Very important. Most likely he is Bruce Willis, or maybe Rumer Willis.

I'm not sure who their mortal enemy should be though. Maybe an unknown eeeviiil from the outer periphery.

There is much to think about. I suppose at some point I'll have to crack open the rule books.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #31 on: 19 May 2011, 19:56:36 »
I'd make sure your players are ok with this before taking it too far.  BT really doesn't have the same feel as your typical TV drama, especially after you add in som any extra bad tropes/cliches.  More than once I've had players walk away from a pretty good setup just because it was too far away from their perceptions of what that particular game or setting were.

-Jackmc

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #32 on: 03 June 2011, 01:52:25 »
I'd make sure your players are ok with this before taking it too far.  BT really doesn't have the same feel as your typical TV drama, especially after you add in som any extra bad tropes/cliches.  More than once I've had players walk away from a pretty good setup just because it was too far away from their perceptions of what that particular game or setting were.
Thanks Jack, you just triggered childhood memories of my DM springing a time traveling Half-Squirel Thief w/ a bag-o-holding & a .50cal MG on us, oh, and his "hippie/flowerchild" Druid sidekick.  That was the day the campaign turned down the road to never never land.........  :D
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #33 on: 03 June 2011, 18:27:20 »
Thanks Jack, you just triggered childhood memories of my DM springing a time traveling Half-Squirel Thief w/ a bag-o-holding & a .50cal MG on us, oh, and his "hippie/flowerchild" Druid sidekick.  That was the day the campaign turned down the road to never never land.........  :D
but.... but... those campaigns are the most FUN :D
Then again I'm the GM that lets characters play COB builds, openly uses Tropes, and such.  Like the campaign where the PCs setting was suddenly caught in a war between Gods and a post-singularity civilization.  Or the NPC who was a Doc Brown expy with an orange oozekitty named Garfield.  Or the when I had a party find all the stuff that vanished into the Dirac Sea Angel in the middle of a desert in a Fantasy setting.  Or the venerable perverted gnome monk that harassed one PCs family, or when the skyship traveling PCs realized the continent they were approaching had a bite taken out of it.  Or the time they killed SG1 and looted the bodies.  Or the drugs made of ground pixies.  Or that every druid elder is based of a particular High School teacher I had who was such a stoner he'd get into arguments with inanimate objects in the middle of class.  Or when they hunted smurfs to make potions of Longevity.  Or the time I had a cabal of extremist druids perform a literal 'furpocalypse.'  Or when I had S5 Buffy pop out of a portal in front of them (she annoyed them so much they sold her to a brothel in the end).  Or the fortress of dwarves, yeah I think that says it all. 
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #34 on: 03 June 2011, 19:19:45 »
but.... but... those campaigns are the most FUN :D

There's nothing wrong with those types of campaigns and stunts as long as people are on board with it before hand or they mesh with the story.  I've had Fox and Scully show up in an adventure before, but it was in a game centered around paranormal conspiracies so it fit.

-Jackmc

Register