Author Topic: Word of Blake's 8th Special Operations Group  (Read 3146 times)

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
Word of Blake's 8th Special Operations Group
« on: 31 January 2011, 20:41:56 »
LIGHT OF MANKIND
THE ZODIACS
SPECIAL OPERATIONS GROUPS (SOG)

ROM is the security apparatus of the Word of Blake.  ROM is charged with protecting the Word of Blake from internal and external challenges.  Therefore, ROM is authorized to perform various missions to include:  espionage, counter-intelligence, demolitions, theft, extortion, assassinations, kidnapping, and anything else that is needed to protect the order.
In certain circumstances, ROM will need a military response to handle a situation.  The SOG’s or Special Operations Groups were created to handle such circumstances.   Given the codename of “The Zodiac’s” for their purpose of guiding mankind as the original Zodiac calendar did for the humans of ancient Earth; the twelve Zodiac Groups are assigned throughout the Inner Sphere.  Already possessing a background in military operations, the operatives of the Zodiacs are given rudimentary covert operation training usually lasting only sixty days. 

After training, the operative is assigned to a Zodiac Group where the operative will begin his/her service to ROM for the next twenty plus years of his/her life.  In most cases, the operative will stay in the Zodiac Group that he/she was assigned to.  However, opportunities may arise where the operative is reassigned to the Word of Blake Militia, the Explorer Corps, given a mission to infiltrate a mercenary unit or even create a mercenary unit. 

As long as the operative is assigned to the Zodiacs, the operative is either performing a mission, training for the next specified mission, or improving on his/her skills.  Even “vacations” or furloughs are designed to give the operative the opportunity to learn firsthand by seeing the sights and sounds of the planets in his/her area of operations.  In most cases, it is the hurry up and wait syndrome combined with computer simulations and other studies.

The operatives assigned to the Zodiac’s are not assigned to perform covert missions similar to the missions given to Rho intelligence operatives assigned by ROM.  The Zodiac operatives only receive the additional (espionage) training in an attempt to help them achieve their mission objectives. 

The Zodiacs are not the elite, but they are veterans with a variety of experience and training that makes them as capable as any Loki or Dest team. 

Currently, the status of the twelve Zodiac Groups varies.  The Zodiac Groups assigned to New Avalon, Alarion, Tamar, and Galedon V theatres as of late 3071 are virtually combat ineffective.  Their command centers have been destroyed rendering command, control, and communications useless.   (Three of the command centers were technically destroyed by Word of Blake forces and the fourth, Galedon V destroyed by the Snow Ravens who have no idea as to what they accomplished.) 

GROUP                NICKNAME     ASSIGNED TO OPERATE:     COMMAND CENTER

1st Zodiac           ARIES           FEDERATED SUNS                       NEW AVALON      
2nd Zodiac         TAURUS         FEDERATED SUNS                        ATLAS
3rd Zodiac          GEMINI         CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION        BETELGEUSE   
4th Zodiac         CANCER        FREE WORLDS LEAGUE                 KEARNY
5th Zodiac         LEO                  FREE WORLDS LEAGUE                HOME
6th Zodiac        VIRGO            LYRAN ALLIANCE                         ZODE
7th Zodiac        LIBRA             LYRAN ALLIANCE                        ALARION
 8th Zodiac       SCORPIO        LYRAN ALLIANCE                        CHAHAR
9th Zodiac        SAGITTARIOUS CLAN OCCUPIED                       ZONETAMAR
10th Zodiac       Capricorn        CLAN OZ/DRACONIS COMBINE      ALBIERO
11th Zodiac       AQUARIUS      DRACONIS COMBINE                  GALEDON V
12th Zodiac       PISCES           DRACONIS COMBINE                  TISHAMINGO

The 8th SOG is currently operating with four Level IIIs. 

The 8th SOG has been reinforced with a Level III of artillery consisting of sixteen Marksman, eight Demons, six Maxims and six infantry platoons.

From time to time, a Level III of Manei Domini will be assigned to the 8th SOG if the mission parameters required additional firepower. 

The most significant battle for the 8th SOG occurred on Donegal in February of 3072.  Their deployment, while a surprise to the invading Coalition forces under the command of Victor Steiner-Davion was technically a failure.  The 8th SOG was unable to inflict significant damage on the Coalition forces and were unable to remove Victor Steiner-Davion through combat.  However, the losses incurred by the 8th were light allowing the 8th SOG to operate along the border between the Lyran Alliance and Word of Blake Protectorate.

With the Word of Blake failing to secure Skye, the 8th SOG has received orders to proceed to Alkaid in an attempt to weaken the Coalition's assault on Hesperus.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
Re: Word of Blake's 8th Special Operations Group
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2011, 04:34:01 »
The attached spreadsheet lists the current equipment available to the 8th SOG.

The Velite II's is a battlearmor chasis equipped with Improved Stealth Armor, a Magshot, a Light Tag, 7 points of armor, with a jump of 3.

I would love to use the entire division (reinforced with the M-D Level III in a massive battletech game at GenCon or another event , but I will need to wait and see if the opportunity presents itself.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2011, 04:46:20 »
Certain vehicles have been modified to help carry the Battlearmor or have been modified to take advantage of the equipment available to the Word of Blake such as rocket launchers.

The Lightnings have been equipped with the Word of Blake Improved C3 CPU, 2 ER Medium Lasers and 3 Rocket Launchers capable of firing 20 rockets each.

The Zephyrs maintain their 3 standard lasers, the tag, but replace the other equipment with 3 rocket launchers capable of firing 15 rockets, one rocket launcher capable of firing 20 rockets, and an improved 3C CPU.

The Maxims and Drillsons were both significantly modified to enable them to carry the battlearmor, that a brief update of their capabilities is not feasible at this time.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2011, 11:09:15 »
Tagged.

I like the cut of your jib.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2011, 14:57:24 »
Nasty and I like.

Reminds me of why I have fun.

PM sent.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016