Author Topic: Mods are Awake, Post Our Little Ponies!  (Read 13460 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
Mods are Awake, Post Our Little Ponies!
« on: 03 May 2017, 13:47:45 »

Seriously, though. I just realized that Season 6 7 was out and I'm anxiously waiting for my fiancee to awaken so we can watch them together.

Has anyone thought about the renaissance of children's cartoons over the last eight years or so? I suppose it can be traced back to Adventure Time, as much as I personally dislike that show, and there were outliers here and there before then, but I still think MLP is the best of them - though Gravity Falls comes close.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
Re: Mods are Awake, Post Our Little Ponies!
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2017, 14:29:49 »
It's definately not how it was when I was a kid.  Or else it is, but my perspective is so difrent as a father than as a child that I can't tell.

That said, I haden't really delved deep until the last few years, precicelly because my kids only just came into the age for these sort of things recently.  I do like that this show (and one or two others) are intresting enough and have enough for me (the one a week or two back with Starlight babysitting while a bedragled and exausted Cadance and Shining Armor had some alone time, only to realize that they missed the hell of having an infant definately had things I got that my kids didn't);  many shows out there are so banal that I just can't set through a showing, even if my kids love it.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2017, 05:44:33 »
So is this actually the new MLP thread?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2017, 06:56:17 »
My son likes Blaze and Paw Patrol. Daughter though likes MLP and is getting heavily into anime. Cartoons overall these days are getting kinda dumb though with a few exceptions.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2017, 15:19:20 »
Might as well be since the old one hit 50 and I don't see anyone else crazy enough to do it ;D

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2017, 20:10:00 »
Shoot, everypony here is crazy enough.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2017, 20:35:46 »
So my eldest niece made a purchase a few days ago.

She decided to consult with me, because she has no experience with running a game, and we ran my nine year old and thirteen year old nieces through the introductory adventure. Fun was had by all.

It's a very simplistic game system, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's easier for youngsters to grasp, a good gateway drug.

Not really my bag though (it actually tells you violence isn't supposed to be the first resort), but I'm happy to keep providing assistance.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2017, 23:36:33 »
So I just caught up to episode 3 of Season 7, and I must say...

dayum, you still got it ponies.

My fiance during 702 totally called it that it was singing the song which made them NOT break the record, but knowing it was coming just made the song that much funnier.
So my eldest niece made a purchase a few days ago.

She decided to consult with me, because she has no experience with running a game, and we ran my nine year old and thirteen year old nieces through the introductory adventure. Fun was had by all.

It's a very simplistic game system, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's easier for youngsters to grasp, a good gateway drug.

Not really my bag though (it actually tells you violence isn't supposed to be the first resort), but I'm happy to keep providing assistance.
That looks pretty cute and fun. Does it advise using the blind bag ponies as miniatures? :D

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2017, 00:09:27 »
That looks pretty cute and fun. Does it advise using the blind bag ponies as miniatures? :D

Yes.  :) Though only if you want something to better visualize the situation.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2017, 16:33:10 »
I'm going to pick up the RPG eventually.  I'm betting my gaming friends don't save violence for a last resort.

Meanwhile, this should be on the way to me soon. http://imgur.com/a/aPzk3
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2017, 10:57:55 »
Has anyone thought about the renaissance of children's cartoons over the last eight years or so?
I remember watching a video from Nostalgia Critic talking about this situation.
More or less I agree with his assessment of it: The kids that used to love certain shows are now old enough to be writers.
So the fans of old favorites are taking what they remembered, tweaking it, then presenting it to a new generation.
Overall a nice cycle to live in honestly.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2017, 19:02:16 »
Has anyone thought about the renaissance of children's cartoons over the last eight years or so? I suppose it can be traced back to Adventure Time, as much as I personally dislike that show, and there were outliers here and there before then, but I still think MLP is the best of them - though Gravity Falls comes close.

Honestly, I think it's more of a cyclical thing.  There have been good and bad shows coming out for far longer than that- back in the 90s you had Animaniacs and Batman: The Animated Series, for example.  MLPFIM certainly maintains a high place, but I think that the fact that it's a cartoon aimed at young girls is what really sets it apart since it's a genre that's typically regarded as among the worst of animated television.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2017, 10:01:27 »
So, I'm slowly catching up on NetFlix and am on Season 4 - Where does the movie Tales of Everfree come in along the cartoon timeline? The first one Equestria Girls, obviously came between Season 3 and 4.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2017, 10:27:48 »
It's hard to tell, since it doesn't have any ponyverse characters at all and there isn't an indication of how time flows relative to each.  For simplicity's sake I'd guess that it happens whenever the release date was relative to the show's seasons.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2017, 11:01:21 »
Tales of Everfree is the most recent of the EG films. You need to see the Friendship Games EG film to understand EG Twilight's issues in Everfree.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2017, 18:32:15 »
Tales of Everfree is to my mind the most forgettable of a forgettable series.  The first one was ok, and the kids like the music in Rainbow Rocks (I don't even mind it so badly, and I do like the rock band theme as someone who long aspired to be in a rock band) but the later two just get increasingly ridiculous, or repetitive, or something else.  The fact that my children share that view hints that it's not just me and I'm not just missing the point for the intended audience.

As for the actual question of when, I think it was speculated that the last scene of the prior movie (Friendship games) where in normal Twilight refers to being caught in a time loop is a reference to her battle with Starlight at the end of season five (which actually came out after the movie did, so either a coincidence or a good bit of planning), so we would guess that that movie is during season six, even though it was came out during season five.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2017, 19:03:48 »
The time loop thing is a reference to her final battle with Starlight.  The Equestria games aired earlier than originally planned.

Overall, Sunset keeps me coming back to Equestria Girls. Sci-Twi almost had the same affect up until she potentially started a relationship with someone likely in his mid twenties.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2017, 12:27:48 »
Thanks, guys. So, Equestria Games after Season 5. Then, Everfree at any time.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2017, 15:06:37 »
So the last few episodes kinda released in a wave, didn't they?

Fluttershy Leans In is all about how she's grown. I love that comment: "Well have to call you Flutterbrave now!" Great episode, if only because Fluttershy is my favorite pony.

Forever Filly was... well, one of the strangest things for an adult is becoming friends with someone that you knew as a small child, and realizing that the way you intrinsically think of them (skinned knees, Pokemon cards, bad puns) isn't true any more. Forever Filly NAILS that.

Parental Glaidance was a solid exploration of Rainbow Dash's character. I must admit, finding out that her parents are her biggest fans was HILARIOUS.

added spoiler tags.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2017, 16:25:34 »
My Fallout Equestria hard copy showed up.  This was a very impressive job and one of the nicest books I own. Only down side is the paper they used.  Best description I've heard so far was "bible thin."

My problem now is when am I going to read this?  I normally do all my reading during breaks and lunches at work.  That's not happening with this book.

So the last few episodes kinda released in a wave, didn't they?

They're still once a week in the states, but they seem to have released the flood gates in Canada for some reason.  Have to be extra careful with spoilers this season.  :(

Stateside, we're only as far as Forever Filly.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2017, 16:33:12 »
Heck, I just binge watch it on Netflix so I'm waiting until June or July when Season 7 will get added.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2017, 18:52:07 »
So I added spoiler tags, and I apologize. I didn't spoil the biggest part of Parental Gleidance, you find out about RD's parents in the first thirty seconds. The rest is a rollercoaster ride.

I don't have cable here, and only use the internet to get stuff. Sometimes I forget that not everyone does that. :p

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2017, 19:11:16 »
If I seriously cared about spoilers i wouldn't bother reading this thread until I got a chance to watch the next season.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2017, 19:17:26 »
Nothing you posted was really all that big of a deal.  Just mentioned as a heads up before you did.   ;)

I've been very tempted to just binge watch all that's available.  Problem with that is it extremely extends the downtime between seasons.  Just because canada is going to end this season sooner, doesn't mean the next one is going to start any earlier.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2017, 20:51:48 »
I wanted to ask: is it just me, or over the seasons does it seem like Applejack-centered episodes have frequently revolved around Applejack learning the same lesson again?

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2017, 11:19:06 »
Absolutely, most everypony has had repeats a few times.  Rarity also seems to get stuck in ruts.  But, as comes up every now and then, it is a show for little girls (though I think little girls are sometimes more sophisticated than they're given credit for) and because of heavy syndication I think there is a reluctance to have the characters grow too much, lest casual fans be unable to follow.

By contrast, Rainbow does seem to have progressed, at least in her career, since she's now a full fledged Wonderbolt.  Twilight of course too, being a Princess.  But every time Rarity opens a new outlet, she has to learn the same problems over and over again, Applejack is still on the farm (though that's probably a choice), and Pinkie and Fluttershy the same (what does Fluttershy actually do?  The others all seem to have either jobs or a court position, but does she get compensated for taking care of animals?)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2017, 11:43:22 »
Even Rarity, who in season one I pegged as being the character I was probably going to dislike the most, seems to have got more diversity in her episodes than Applejack.  She, at least, seems to remember the lesson she learned the last time and tries not to make the same mistakes repeatedly.  I think the issue is that Applejack was initially the most mature of the mane six and had consequently more limited growth, especially when compared to Rainbow, who's had quite a bit on new traits added to her character over the seasons: joining the Wonderbolts, adopting Tank, learning to love reading, and so on.

As far as Fluttershy's job, I think she might be running some sort of animal rehab.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2017, 13:34:17 »
Well, I'm not sure about that - a large part of Fluttershy Leans In contradicts that idea directly IMHO, or at least puts a damper on it as her main income source. Perhaps she does that sort of thing on commission (as with the early ep of Rarity asking her for help with Opalescence), but as an organized source? I doubt it.

Before we saw her brother , I thought that she had some access to a trust fund or was doing the equivalent of living off interest - she has a modest lifestyle, but doesn't appear to DO anything for income unlike the other ponies, and does things like organize fundraisers so she has a fair bit of free time on her hands. Unfortunately her brother's lifestyle, bouncing from job to job and then going back to live with their parents, probably means that isn't true. Maybe an inheritance from a grandparent that he squandered but she invested in a little self-sufficient cottage? Perhaps she's a landlord for some Ponyville resident which is her only real income?

What I find crazy about all that speculation is this: It doesn't feel out of place. A lot of shows stop holding up when you speculate about them like this, even regular shows - I read an article talking about how fictional New York apartments stack up cost-wise versus real New York apartments, and it was funny just how out of whack some of them were even if I've never been to NY. Friendship is Magic, though? It feels like they've thought about this too, at least somewhat.

Applejack... I dunno. She does have the only episode that has actually pissed me off - The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 3000 - but her main growth episodes have been centered around learning to rely on other ponies, not just herself. It never really bothered me the way it repeated the lesson, because each time it was done in a different way and AJ seems like a VERY stubborn pony who doesn't learn very well. "Well, golly, I did learn to rely on my friends, but relyin' on my little sister to stay out of trouble?"

What's her line out of SSCS3k? "I didn't larn nuthin'!"

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2017, 14:34:34 »
On that note, and also refrencing our discussion above about Equistria Girls, one of the things that my kids and I have discussed is that the ponies all seem to be adults. They live on their own, they (mostly) hold down steady jobs, and in general live their lives in mature ways, even if they seem to have less emotional maturity than one might wish for (in order to match their audience, naturally).  Of course, the fact that their sisters (for Applejack and Rarity) are still being taught out of a one room school house does make it hard to pin down how old they really are.

In any event, it does drive me a bit crazy that their anthropomorphic equivalents are in highschool.  If I were Twilight, I'd go a bit bonkers going from an independent pony living on my own to being back in school (granted, Twilight does enjoy school, but she was in the process of moving into teaching at that point).  Perhaps Sunset the same, since she'd just run from being a student of Celestia, only to again end up in school, where back in Equestria a pony of her age would be striking out on her own (I'd guess equivalent to a collage drop out, since one has to imagine being a special pupal of the reigning Princess as higher education). 

It's more of a personal problem, and it doesn't bother the kids too much, but sometimes it just bugs me.