Author Topic: Any way to perform an exclusive search?  (Read 2063 times)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Any way to perform an exclusive search?
« on: 05 January 2023, 09:10:27 »
Finding some models can be a bit of a pain considering that the site's search function seems to include all models that have at least one of the keywords. Is there any way to only search for models that match all keywords?
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

abou

• Captain
Re: Any way to perform an exclusive search?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2023, 10:46:52 »
Yes, there is a way to narrow the search on specific fields such as just Battletech. It is in the drop down menu to the left of the search bar.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2023, 10:49:51 »
Not talking about categories, I've got that. I'm talking about the text search function. If, for example, I look up the Raven II, I get every single model and part with "II" in the name. Not a huge problem in that case, since for that I can just limit my search to "Raven" and skim through the existing Raven minis, but it is pretty inconvenient, especially when searching for 'Mechs that sometimes share key words with a lot of other 'Mechs.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2023, 21:44:14 »
Not talking about categories, I've got that. I'm talking about the text search function. If, for example, I look up the Raven II, I get every single model and part with "II" in the name. Not a huge problem in that case, since for that I can just limit my search to "Raven" and skim through the existing Raven minis, but it is pretty inconvenient, especially when searching for 'Mechs that sometimes share key words with a lot of other 'Mechs.

It's most likely a setting to be changed, if they so desire. Such as on my site, I can have "any word" or "exact phrase", etc. Sometimes limiting input can cause other things not to pop up, and then the other way around not limiting can drive people crazy...such as in this case. There typically isn't any easy middle ground on searches.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2023, 11:18:32 »
I did some adjustments to how the search results are displayed. It will now display with SKU as the main field of the sort order. If you search mad cat, it will show the 10 code first, 20 code and then other packs. If you search the SKU, it will display the SKU first and the mech packs at the end. I want to do more refinement on this in the future.

It's most likely a setting to be changed, if they so desire. Such as on my site, I can have "any word" or "exact phrase", etc. Sometimes limiting input can cause other things not to pop up, and then the other way around not limiting can drive people crazy...such as in this case. There typically isn't any easy middle ground on searches.

Its not the default search that is built into the CMS, but and extension that allows the selecting of Store product categories to help refine the search. I had looked for something that had some elements like the old store had.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2023, 01:51:25 »

At least the Search Engines on your site and IWM's are semi-intelligent/semi-sane.  My old Search on eBay for "Battletech"?   :o  Yeah, I had to add a LOT of "-Whatsit" to it, because eBay will seemingly INTENTIONALLY toss up garbage that has JACK to do with "BattleTech as WE know it.   :flame: :bang: :flame:

Seems like I had to Minus about a dozen terms, if not more?  ::)  Oh, and they're like that with EVERYTHING, not just BattleTech Stuff! Yes, your site and IWM are geared TOWARDS BT, so that makes it slightly easier for the Search Engines on the 2 sites.  I understand that.  But it seems like no matter What I Search for on eBay, it tosses up garbage that has NOTHING to do with what I'm looking for.  :P  I have NO doubt that their "Paid Sponsors" have more than a little to do with that.   :flame:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!