Author Topic: Mercenary's Honor (GDL #2)  (Read 5136 times)

kallison

• Recruit
Mercenary's Honor (GDL #2)
« on: 11 July 2022, 09:22:27 »
Curious what you all thought? I really enjoyed this. Felt like a lot of real people making bad decisions, always fun to read!

Angrii

• Sergeant
Re: Mercenary's Honor (GDL #2)
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2022, 09:31:12 »
I enjoyed it very much also. Very well written with believable, flawed characters as the focus - which I've come to expect from Schmetzer. The only nitpick I have is the poor editing; lots of spelling mistakes and the like which I found very distracting. I've been enjoying the "outside looking in" perspective the new Legion gives to the various major players in that corner of space (Tamar Pact, Lyran Alliance) and I hope to see that continue. Perhaps in a full length novel...?
Welcome to interesting times

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2022, 23:17:49 »
I enjoyed it very much also. Very well written with believable, flawed characters as the focus - which I've come to expect from Schmetzer. The only nitpick I have is the poor editing; lots of spelling mistakes and the like which I found very distracting. I've been enjoying the "outside looking in" perspective the new Legion gives to the various major players in that corner of space (Tamar Pact, Lyran Alliance) and I hope to see that continue. Perhaps in a full length novel...?

Yeah that my main complain,  GDL story are so short at the moment kind of want something with more flesh.  We got what happen in the planet with the sister but not the brother headache.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2022, 23:40:00 »
[spoiler]
Blucher, she’d never met him—collapsed, his leg bloody. “Nice shot,” she said. Carillo turned and smiled sheepishly. “I was aiming for his back.” [/spoiler]
I detected a Firefly fan here.

Sample spelling mistake:
He looked past her to the rest of the party climbing out of the PPC.
Even if the image of people using PPCs as transport contraptions is funny. :)

All in all a good read. I like small scale books set in a larger environment. It makes me relate more to the protagonists than the grander than life adventures. And faulty characters are good.

I expected a little more tension between the protagonists, but all in all a good book. The first book was centered in Ronan, so I enjoyed the focus on Bel. She is less competent than I thought she would be (the showdown with the fort defenders was a little bit too poor imo, and the only tjing that detracted from thr book. The story is good and the writing strong. Schmetzer is my favourite current BT author for a reason.

I think my main problem with the book was that I spoiler-ed myself. I looked at the new kickstarter minis as I was reading this. And it includes a GDL lance that is kind of a spoiler on how it will end...

The previous novella was more based on Ronan, so I have no qarrel not having hi  appear much here. bel looks a tad bit too inexperienced in the negotiation, though. I thought she would have done better but that is a minor thing.

All in all an enjoyable GDL novel that left me eager for more.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2022, 05:31:19 by Elmoth »

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2022, 09:55:09 »
I detected a Firefly fan here.

Or a person that watch the Magnifiecient 7 original one where  he shoot the bandit and the young man say "nice shot" and he replied "I was aiming for the horse"

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2022, 11:03:28 »
Or, you know, it is just not a very creative joke and has been used many times in many places.
Which doesn't make it any less enjoyable when used right (as Jason did).
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Generic Clanner 24601

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2022, 15:22:47 »
I'm looking into reading up on the GDL in the ilClan. I'm a little confused of which books I should and which order.

I'm taking it that Mercenary's Honor is the second by the title of this Thread. Which is the first (I believe they reform in it)? Sorry, if I'm high jacking the Thread.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2022, 08:55:51 »
I'm looking into reading up on the GDL in the ilClan. I'm a little confused of which books I should and which order.

I'm taking it that Mercenary's Honor is the second by the title of this Thread. Which is the first (I believe they reform in it)? Sorry, if I'm high jacking the Thread.

If you just want Gray Death in RotS and ilClan Era, there are only two books so far:
RotS and ilClan Era
The Price of Duty - Grey Death Legion reborn
Mercenary's Honor - descendants in the ilClan Era
/RotS and ilClan Era

For the rest of the Gray Death Legion, here is the rough order of all books that had Gray Death Legion in them, and a rough plot for each where I could find it:
Succession Wars Era:
Golden Rule - Colby's Commandos 1/3
Eyestorm - Colby's Commandos 2/3
Dragon's Lair - Colby's Commandos 3/3, they become Carlyle's Commandos, the GDL's predecessor)

Decision at Thunder Rift - Formed the legion
Mercenary's Star - Legion fighting in a jungle
Price of Glory - Legion is framed for a war crime, and they figure out who the 6th Great House is

(Not exactly sure for these two)
A Rock and a Hard Place - When you gotta capture a space station, you send a Battlemech force, right?
All Wet - Story set in 3028

Legion Team - part of Gray Death has to hold out against attackers
Blood of Heroes - Gray Death Legion's homeworld has a civilian uprising (start of FedCom Civil War)
Tactics of Duty - Gray Death has a contract to deal with a civilian uprising (more in the FedCom Civil War)
Operation Excalibur - Gray Death is stripped of titles and has to accept a bad contract in order to survive
The Dying Time - Grey Death has to hold an indefensible position
/Succession Wars Era
« Last Edit: 13 October 2022, 12:51:22 by idea weenie »

Generic Clanner 24601

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2022, 12:48:27 »
Thanks alot!