Author Topic: Fist Full of C-Bills - OOC Thread - Recruitment Closed  (Read 32948 times)

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
Re: Fist Full of C-Bills - OOC Thread - Recruitment Closed
« Reply #330 on: 28 January 2013, 02:20:42 »
Well, Mutt is in his bunk. You can ride in your mech if you want, or your bunk, or the common areas. All should have some type of acceleration resistance seating... though do not expect specific acceleration couches. :)
The artist formerly known as Big_Ken

"Ha. I was a charming man... Now I am an erudite and dangerous box!"

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #331 on: 28 January 2013, 09:20:10 »
assuming the planet is ~1g and the dropship accelerates off the ground @ 3 thrust you would only feel ~2.5 g's of weight so if your char weighs 100lbs they would effectively weigh 250lbs while leaving the atmosphere granted if you weighed 200lbs it would be like you weighed 500 but when I was in better shape personally I was able to lift that with my legs.  IE in high school and again in college I weighed ~140-200 lbs and was able to push a leg press at ~500 lbs

so in general I would say you would want to sit, or lie down for the atmospheric boost phase of the take off, but its not likely to be enough to require a true "acceleration couch"  just sitting in a reasonabley comfortable seat (that can take the loading) or lieing on your bunk and you should be fine.

Malich

• Master Sergeant
  • <<Update Pending>>
« Reply #332 on: 28 January 2013, 10:29:26 »
yup, pretty much that.

It'll be a 2 - 2.5g burn to orbit at it's maximum point. The run to the JS will be a constant 1G burn.
The artist formerly known as Big_Ken

"Ha. I was a charming man... Now I am an erudite and dangerous box!"

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #333 on: 28 January 2013, 20:21:18 »
Ok..Convention over, Chaos complete, Character submitted, Excel reader downloaded :)....Where do i go to start? :)

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #334 on: 28 January 2013, 20:42:37 »
you know when you start reading about the notable persons like the general?  that was the atlas driver that was so fat .....

I mean if you look at how much you weigh, and multiply by ~2.5-3.5 (max acceleration of the dropship and then add a planetary gravity to it) it can be fun to go wait the bunk has to hold up HOW much?!!

I will give a side note example:  I was making a rifts charactor (a dog boy) and rolled the "random mutation abnormality" table, result "unusually large 7'3" tall and weighs ~400lbs"  which is not an unusual size for an elemental in battletech.  so ok 400lb person under ~2.5g's = 1000lbs or aprox .5 of a ton I would think they would make most normal bunks or chairs very unhappy being on them during a takeoff...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #335 on: 28 January 2013, 23:00:07 »
assuming the planet is ~1g and the dropship accelerates off the ground @ 3 thrust you would only feel ~2.5 g's of weight so if your char weighs 100lbs they would effectively weigh 250lbs while leaving the atmosphere

Sorry, the physicist in me has to point out that if you're under 1.5gs accelleration, a 100 pound child would weigh 150 pounds, and a 200-pound character 300 pounds. That's part of the definition.

The accelleration isn't additive with local gravity - it's a vector sum. That means that the first 1.0G of accelleration cancels out the local gravity* - the next 0.5 is actually the rate at which the DropShip would lift off. As you get sufficiently far from the planet, actual velocity will increase faster.

* Note, that doesn't mean anyone on a 1-G DropShip is weightless. They're feeling 1G of acelleration. But the DropShip they're in isn't falling. In theory, it'd be like being inside a hovercraft, which is also famous for not feeling weightless inside ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #336 on: 28 January 2013, 23:17:48 »
blarg sorry worktroll I kenw that in fact its a key part of some of my questioning arguements about "exactly how much acceleration does a dropship need to take off?"  arguements

because technically all you would need to escape earths gravity well (if you could maintain the thrust as long as you needed to) is 9.8000000(as many 0's as you want)1 m/s of acceleration capacity as long as its just a little bit more than the gravitational acceleration/deceleration (depending on how you want to look at it) if you want to be technical if you could light the engines off and start moving upward at 1mm/s acceleration you could eventually escape from the earths gravity well it might take a while and I hope you have plenty of fuel but you could do it.

part of the reason todays rockets accelerate so fast/hard, is because they are in a race to generate enough acceleration to escape before they run out of "gas"/fuel

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #337 on: 28 January 2013, 23:32:29 »
Indeed! Space shuttle SRBs are actually quite inefficient compared to the SMEs, but they do provide enough oomph to lift the shuttle into thinner air, where the more efficient (but lower total thrust) SMEs keep the shuttle climbing to orbital speeds and heights.

Cheers! (Waves from the ground ;) )
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #338 on: 29 January 2013, 00:34:43 »
so with that adjustment assuming 3 thrust IE ~1.5 g karen my char @ 140lbs for the duration of the takeoff would be like she weighs ~210 lbs  definately slowed down wouldn't necessarally be "happy" if she needed to move AKA walk around, but she could do it if she had to.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #339 on: 29 January 2013, 00:44:56 »
Indeed! Space shuttle SRBs are actually quite inefficient compared to the SMEs, but they do provide enough oomph to lift the shuttle into thinner air, where the more efficient (but lower total thrust) SMEs keep the shuttle climbing to orbital speeds and heights.

Cheers! (Waves from the ground ;) )
THe SRBs have higher thrust but lower specific impulse right?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #340 on: 29 January 2013, 00:48:25 »
Prolonged exposure to 1.5Gs isn't lethal, but women are recommended to use sports bras, and men to wear supportive underwear (jockeys/briefs), lest certain tender bits get sore. There'd be a DX penalty - reflexes are adjusted for things falling more slowly, and trips and sprains become more common. Everyone will feel like overweight old people ;) Given prolonged exposure (months), people bulk up and adjust, and have no long-term ill effects beyond higher blood pressure.

At 2G, definitely support garments. Trips become sprains, sprains become damaged joints or broken bones. Blood pressure issues become serious - people faint when they stand up due to blood flow issues. Bed sores are common for people who don't move around in their sleep. Pregnant women have significant risks, and need to spend the last trimester sitting & lying. Tolerable - especially by fit people for days at a time - but not recommended.

And BirdOfPrey, exactly!

Put it this way - the VASIMR drive promises 0.1G continuous accelleration. It can't lift off Earth, but it turns a 9 month Hohman transfer orbit (unpowered) into 2 weeks to Mars under power. The SRB boosts the shuttle at - what, 3-4G - but burns out tout suite.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #341 on: 31 January 2013, 04:24:00 »
Rumor had it that their screaming could be heard over the roar of the Chrome's engines and that it lasted for nearly half an hour. Of course, the rumor was wrong, it lasted for forty-five minutes and that was only because they passed out.
LOL  Love it
===
So I was brainstorming, if I were to give the rifleman quirks, what would it have.
Anti-Aircraft targeting is an obvious, it would be +5TP, but I'd be willing to not let the MLs use the bonus to make it +4TP
no/Minimal Arms also seems obvious at -2 TP, but what else would a frankenmech of this caliber have?
Difficult to maintain?  Non-Standard Parts?  Poor Workmanship (more representing it being a hodge-podge of parts than the tech being bad at her job)?

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #342 on: 31 January 2013, 08:58:17 »
after reading the quirks in strategic ops I am not certain non standard parts would be totally right as that is usually intended for mechs like the clint where it is described they use special and hard to find parts

on the other hand
poor workmanship, and or prototype might apply,
no or minimal arms (hard to stand and unable to punch)
em interference (causes glitches with your targeting systems after a weapon fires)
poor cooling jacket
or similar could apply

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #343 on: 31 January 2013, 18:12:58 »
I'd be hesitant to use poor cooling jacket, as the mech already has heat problems.

codesurge

• Recruit
  • This space for rent.
« Reply #344 on: 02 February 2013, 00:06:46 »
So... who's up for that semi-legal in-bunk drinking session during the transit?  :P
"To find out more about the military lifestyle, the producers sent us off to join a mercenary unit. I mean, how hard can it be?" - Unknown

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #345 on: 02 February 2013, 11:41:30 »
Are there any mech sims on the Dropper?  No big deal either way.  Could play the 3033 version of MW via noteputer/tablets. :P

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #346 on: 05 February 2013, 06:47:11 »
Quick question, now that I finally have some time to post, how are the non-gantry mechs stored? Are they standing/on their back/crouched down on their knees?
"Man shouldn't have to live by carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." - Spike Spiegal

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #347 on: 05 February 2013, 06:53:22 »
well one person indicated they laid down the mech, but realistically?  they have a "lock" freestand mode, IE you walk them to where you want them to be and shut them down

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #348 on: 05 February 2013, 06:59:22 »
That's my thought. To my mind "practically"... thinking a 'mech would be safest from turbulence damage chained down on its back, but that uses the most space.

Standing up takes up the least space but would it's chains and other securing means prevent it from falling over during turbulence?

Having the mech crouch down to be secured seems to be the best compromise but is it good for 'mech knees to be bent for a long trip?

What're people's thoughts?
"Man shouldn't have to live by carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." - Spike Spiegal

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #349 on: 05 February 2013, 07:29:34 »
part of my thought has to do with how the cargo bay is laid out /logic.

assume that the main deck got gutted and the 8 mech bays removed, that likely means about 50 tons of "something" per "bay" was removed or re-purposed  most likely items to get the axe some of the "bay personnel spaces/life support except it wouldn't be just changed over to say infantry squad equivalents, some of the "Gantry's" which means uprights moving arms, overhead high capacity cranes (typically used to facilitate repairs) etc drop chute connections closed and locked down and the motors used to open them pulled out "possibly"

some of that it might make sense to remove other parts not as much.

I would expect many of the upright frames to be partially or wholly present, and if nothing else walk the mechs to specific spots against the outside walls of the bay (as a whole) and strap it to the wall in a way (to me) makes more sense than lying the mech down and risking it falling when trying to get it back to its feet

plus I expect that the dropship has has some "ballast" tanks where there are a bunch of small tanks to hold various liquid "substances" liquid hydrogen, lox, water, greywater, fresh water etc etc so that they can keep the ship in better "trim" otherwise the question comes in...  Karen gets told to do maintenance on the rifleman and gathers her tools and decides she needs the fusion kit as there is something "funky" with the reactor diags this is a 345kg "toolbox" that she rolls from where its being stored over to where its convenient (to do the work) if it was on the left side of the bay, and is now on the right side of the bay, that is effectively up to almost 700 kg or ~3/4 of a ton change in the weight distrubution of the dropship, granted out of 3500 tons thats not huge but over the course of a weeks travel minor things like that add up
« Last Edit: 05 February 2013, 07:31:46 by guardiandashi »

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #350 on: 05 February 2013, 09:11:04 »
That's my thought. To my mind "practically"... thinking a 'mech would be safest from turbulence damage chained down on its back, but that uses the most space.

Standing up takes up the least space but would it's chains and other securing means prevent it from falling over during turbulence?

Having the mech crouch down to be secured seems to be the best compromise but is it good for 'mech knees to be bent for a long trip?

What're people's thoughts?
That was my thought as well.  The mech can remain locked in a standing position, but without the gyro running the mech isn't going to remain standing if it gets moved around too much.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #351 on: 17 February 2013, 15:51:06 »
We still continuing? 

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #352 on: 17 February 2013, 17:12:46 »
Good question as honestly I'm running out of filler material for the transit.

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #353 on: 20 February 2013, 02:57:16 »
I've had an idea for a communal post that shouldn't require PMs between players.

The idea is that Kiva starts up a card game and then people can add posts to move the game/situation along?

Are people keen to try such a thing?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #354 on: 20 February 2013, 09:10:37 »
works for me
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #355 on: 20 February 2013, 12:24:49 »
Where did you get that game type from, and how is it supposed to work?  Poker is all about bluffing.

ANyways give me a bit to type up another post i have to do here first, then ill join in.

SethsMatches

• Master Sergeant
  • Never Give In!
« Reply #356 on: 20 February 2013, 12:49:39 »
I know of the game concept as 'Indian Poker' (The card is like a feather is how I remember the name.)

High card wins but you only get to see everyone else's card. I added the other rules so people can move events along if they want and took the 'blinds' from Texas hold 'em since it means there's always something to play for.

To my mind, it effectively reverses the bluffing mechanic (  >:D ) since you're trying to get the people with good cards on their heads to fold so you, hopefully, have a better chance of winning while trying to get the people with bad cards to bet so you can, possibly, win more as well as trying to read other people to tell if your card is good.

The card game in the opening scene of 'The Losers' illustrates what I have in mind REALLY well.

Register