Author Topic: So.. how many ADNDers we got?  (Read 66511 times)

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
Re: So.. how many ADNDers we got?
« Reply #90 on: 24 August 2012, 16:27:56 »
pathfinder every other weekend! {>{>
Wish I had that kind of time...
And local gamers... despite helping test for maptool for a while and tabletop forge now, I'm not big on playing at a vtt online (I like em better for less map upkeep)
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #91 on: 12 September 2012, 20:42:19 »
Anyone every have the feeling that your DM could better use thier time NOT trying to kill you?

I had a recent game that they DM really tried too hard to find a simple trap. I stop playing with that gruop and went back to my custom one.

Side note: Still trying to find a person or persons to help draw stuff. DnD style CCG. PM me if you know someone.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Jacob01

• Recruit
« Reply #92 on: 07 February 2013, 10:15:24 »
Back when elf was a class, I can't remember the world(not Dragonlance....).  Anyone recall this?  We play this setting before moving into AD&D. I am sad thinking of all the books I bought as a kid that I don't have now. One of the books I trying to remember is the elf nation, I think was in the middle of the map.
It expanded the elf class too.  Can anyone help me?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #93 on: 07 February 2013, 17:42:48 »
Greyhawk mayhaps? It had the class books, Elf Hound NPC familiar.

Yeah, got two copies.

Would anyone want to GM a 1st ed style game? I can, but most things are hard in PBEMs. Like die rolling and saving throws.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: 07 February 2013, 18:15:28 »
Back when elf was a class, I can't remember the world(not Dragonlance....).  Anyone recall this?  We play this setting before moving into AD&D. I am sad thinking of all the books I bought as a kid that I don't have now. One of the books I trying to remember is the elf nation, I think was in the middle of the map.
It expanded the elf class too.  Can anyone help me?

Elf was a class in Dungeons and Dragons, and later Basic Dungeons and Dragons. It was only in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons that Race and Class were separated. Mystara and  was IIRC the Basic campaign setting with the Savage Coast being the area I remember best.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Kommando

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sweet justice!
« Reply #95 on: 08 February 2013, 01:48:24 »
Aye. I GM a Pathfinder game on sundays.

I've played D&D 3.5 since 2002. with an extended foray into 4E that left me giving away my books and swearing that it is the worst thing that happened to WotC.

This is the pathfinder party. As drawn by Alex Drummond the Dwarf Alchemist Zan Zanzibar.

What avarice!

Field Agent #522
Battletech in Brisbane, Australia.

Brooklyn Red Leg

• Corporal
  • Armored Space Corps Black Lion Sqn
    • Facebook
« Reply #96 on: 02 August 2013, 09:20:00 »
Started with D&D Basic way back in 1982 at the tender age of 10 (yes, I know, I'm giving away my age). It all began with The Keep on the Borderlands. Ah, those were the days. From there I went on to 2nd Edition in the 90s, 3.X in the 00's and then Hackmaster, Castles & Crusades and Pathfinder. Along the way I got to play in some awesome games like being in on the ground floor at MegaCon (in Orlando) for Dave Arneson's Blackmoor 3.X MMRPG.

These days I'm lucky if I can play at all. However, I've gotten to play (as well as GM) some great games over the years including Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Robotech, Rifts, Shadowrun, MechWarrior, WEG Star Wars 2nd Edition, Call of Cthulhu, TOON! (including a twisted TOON! Cthulhu), GURPS, All Flesh Must be Eaten, Decipher's CODA Lord of the Rings RPG as well as a number of homebrews.

8)

HikageMaru's awesome banner thread is here

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #97 on: 16 August 2013, 13:43:55 »
Trying to start a Pathfinder game set in Eberron.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #98 on: 04 October 2013, 21:52:54 »
Longtime tabletop gamer as well. My aunt and uncle met via OD&D, and I grew up on 1st and 2nd edition. Lotta Mystara for me! I'm a big Tiamat fan in all of her D&D incarnations, so I love Forgotten Realms (especially the Old Empires). Just finished playing a campaign in 3.5 to level 30 with a cleric of Tiamat with all 10 levels of the talon of Tiamat PrC, in fact...

Played a lot of World of Darkness and Warhammer as well, as well as WEG Star Wars and Saga Edition Star Wars (played an amazing KotOR-era campaign!), and our group is currently in a Vampire: Dark Ages game set in 12th-century Sicily. We just wrapped up a game of Classic Traveller as well...I adapted the Capellans and the Davions into the homebrew setting with my GM's help for funsies.

We also started a new 3.5 campaign set in the world of our previous evil-aligned game, where we're going to try to undo all of the evil **** our old characters did as we clawed our way to level 30, lol.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #99 on: 05 October 2013, 05:50:03 »
We also started a new 3.5 campaign set in the world of our previous evil-aligned game, where we're going to try to undo all of the evil **** our old characters did as we clawed our way to level 30, lol.

Most interesting game I ever saw: GM gamed for two different groups on two different nights. One group
was evil, one group was good. The good party was always just behind the evil party action wise. The evil
party was always just ahead of the good party(basicly, the good party was trying to undo what the evil
party had just done. the evil party was leaving traps and other stuff the get/delay the good party).

GM ended the campaign by revealing the heroes/villians that were always just out of reach were another
party of players, and then coordinated a final showdown between the groups. (It ended with the last
of the good guys leaning against a wall as the poison from the last of the bad guys kicked in and he failed
his Save vs Poisons, both parties killed to a man..)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 05 October 2013, 11:15:52 »
WOW..  Both groups TPKed..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

RebelRunner

« Reply #101 on: 05 October 2013, 14:37:28 »
A buddy of mine at a different school has a DnD campaign going. He house-ruled 19th-century firearms; it's basically DnD but set in a rather bizarre/hard-to-explain universe of his own creation.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 05 October 2013, 20:23:12 »
WOW..  Both groups TPKed..

Yup...it was a second edition game, so poison was far nastier..The moral victory for the Good Party
was that their last guy lived longer then the last guy of the evil party...but, he had something like
6 or so different poisons in him(the evil party? They LOVED their poison..)

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 06 October 2013, 09:50:16 »
That would have been a blast to have been part of.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #104 on: 26 December 2013, 16:45:52 »
Started with D&D Basic way back in 1982 at the tender age of 10 (yes, I know, I'm giving away my age). It all began with The Keep on the Borderlands. ...

Wow, same age, same adventure.

No local gaming groups+to far away from older bother+5yr old kid+full time job= very little gaming.

Long time with 1e, long time with 2e, 3e was fun but short lived, 4e blew chunks ... was even hard to mine for ideas, PF is very cool looking and I've been using the OGS and SRD ... Have updated so much of my old 3x stuff (which was from 2e ... from 1e).

"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

NullVoid

• Sergeant
« Reply #105 on: 25 January 2014, 08:45:00 »
Picked it up in 93 or 94, in middle school, already on the second edition.  I loved the Dark Sun, Planescape and Birthright settings, as well as parts of the Forgotten Realms (Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, the Forgotten Realms Atlas, and the Menzoberranzan Boxed Set in particular).  I met several older players that claim that 2e ruined D&D, but I certainly don't see it that way.  Back in the day, the game had few rulebooks (the three basic books, the Complete * Handbooks and the MC Annuals), the rest were mostly fluff books, and it was glorious.  As the decade came to an end, that policy changed, and the optional rule arms race began; by the time the third edition came around, the shadow of the future was plain for all to see.

Don't get me wrong: 3e/3.5e was great, the rules were MUCH simpler, being designed with more modern sensibilities in mind: design policies, not special case rules; the variant games (Mutants and Masterminds, Blue Rose) were also great fun, but the streamlined system and the careful(?) balancing of the different races, classes and options took away most of the flexibility of the game.  Back in 2e days, you could play anything from ultra high fantasy like Planescape to historicals set in classic antiquity where there were no mages and few magic items; take magic out of 3e or turn it up to eleven and mid- to high-level characters become unplayabe.

Pathfinder recently someow managed to add some of that flexibility back into the system, but I haven't been able to get Birthright ported over to my satisfaction, so there's still plenty of reason to play the old editions.

This is my cue to thank the folks at CGL for the streamlining of the ATOW as compared to MW3; rules should be simple, and there should be checks and balances, but the flexibility to adapt to different eras and even the occasional AU is the strongest point of the new system.

So, uh, thanks a lot!

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: 25 January 2014, 13:06:44 »
would love to see Birthright done for PF
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 26 January 2014, 01:32:37 »
Picked it up in 93 or 94, in middle school, already on the second edition.  I loved the Dark Sun, Planescape and Birthright settings, as well as parts of the Forgotten Realms (Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, the Forgotten Realms Atlas, and the Menzoberranzan Boxed Set in particular). 

NullVoid: in my group, even in Pathfinder and D&D 3.X, Aurora's is one of the most well loved and used books
we have. I still have my original copy, and wish that WotC would allow it to be made PoD.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #108 on: 26 January 2014, 19:37:58 »
Yahoo News has an article announcing Dungeons and Dragons is 40 years old today!

I started playing about '78 or '79.

And yes, my hair is mostly gray now ;)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

kroner

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
  • the artist formerly known as Vorpal
« Reply #109 on: 28 January 2014, 13:33:22 »
Yahoo News has an article announcing Dungeons and Dragons is 40 years old today!

I started playing about '78 or '79.

And yes, my hair is mostly gray now ;)

Starting playing around that same time.....

Your hair is grey, Top?  Funny, it must have grown back since you lived here in Baltimore area....   O:-)

- kroner (aka Vorpal)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #110 on: 28 January 2014, 16:43:47 »
Picked up 2nd ed at about 12.  Logged tons of time in Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft and my fav, Planescape.  When 3.0 came out and killed off my group's extensive collection and rendered my knowledge moot I never got back into it.  And I wasn't really thrilled with some of the choices made by the designers.

But yeah, good times.  Plenty of weekends where Friday was one group's campaign, Saturday was another.  And both groups resented the other's approach :)

Yup...it was a second edition game, so poison was far nastier..The moral victory for the Good Party
was that their last guy lived longer then the last guy of the evil party...but, he had something like
6 or so different poisons in him(the evil party? They LOVED their poison..)

QFT.  There were poisons that would killed if a saving throw was failed and did like 30-50 damage even if passed.  When Hero's Lorebook came out we were measuring the toughness of those characters by how many hits of Type F poison it took to kill them.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #111 on: 29 January 2014, 00:04:51 »
Starting playing around that same time.....

Your hair is grey, Top?  Funny, it must have grown back since you lived here in Baltimore area....   O:-)

- kroner (aka Vorpal)

Oh I had plenty of hair, its just I was on active duty then and just kept a real short haircut (real short!)  :)

My hair's at least two inches long now---I'm such a hippie!  ;D
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Dice

• Recruit
« Reply #112 on: 03 February 2014, 04:45:54 »
From 2nd edition to Pathfinder ( still playing )

8)

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: 04 March 2014, 16:14:04 »
I'm sort of into AD&D; I have the 2nd edition DMG and the 3rd edition DMG, I'm hunting around for the AD&D DMG.  I love Dark Sun and Hollow-World as well as the Red-Blue-Green-Black-Gold Boxes of D&D!

I've never been a huge fantasy-fan; I like science-fiction more: I a kid I've grown up on Tolken's works, Narnia and '80s fantasy movies like Beastmaster. 

I'm more into Historical-gaming or worlds based off of historical worlds: I like WW: OWoD VtDA, Mummy and M:tA.

Since I know the D&D system well, I've been moving to explore other games: I have Chivalry & Sorcery and I'm looking for Tunnels and Trolls!  T&T baby!

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #114 on: 05 March 2014, 10:58:11 »
Remember me not having time... Well, I'm in three games a week now. All PF. Only Rise of The Runelords is close enough to the end that the DM is in Killmode. Loving the insanity.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #115 on: 05 March 2014, 11:54:32 »
Due to a flood, only my 2E Ad&d books made it through to the modern day but that stack has been eclipsed by the monster piles of 3.X and PF.   4th never took hold for me.  But, the game is played every sunday without fail now for almost a decade and a half now.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.