Author Topic: Causes of Blackout and mobile HPGs  (Read 5192 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Re: Causes of Blackout and mobile HPGs
« Reply #30 on: 09 October 2018, 17:33:51 »
 If mobile HPGs were immune, Comstar would have deployed Magellans to critical systems.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2018, 17:36:01 by Minemech »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #31 on: 09 October 2018, 17:49:00 »
Personally I still think it has to do with where you are rather than what type of HPG you're using. My pet theory is that an old blakist Super HPG was used to fire disruptive pulses (using KF SCIENCE!) to different places around the Inner Sphere, specifically targeting HPGs and screwing up local KF space as an after-affect. Others were taken out more conventionally because either the super HPG couldn't target them properly, or because it burned out before they were finished.

We also know there are places that aren't affected (including Terra). At least one of the Republic's warships still has a functioning HPG, too, and was using it while they were chasing Comstar down.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 09 October 2018, 19:44:56 »
Except there aren't to many Magellans left.

What about a possible sabotaged program or worm fitted to the old DRUM Network?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 10 October 2018, 01:47:31 »
Except there aren't to many Magellans left.

What about a possible sabotaged program or worm fitted to the old DRUM Network?
Not sure about how many Magellans were built to begin with, and how many are left. But apparently, not too few either. After all, we've seen a vessel dubbed "Magellan MkII" with a big honkin' Spirit Cat logo on the jump sail. Official word is that it's not a full-blown new ship type but rather a variant of the Magellan class. In any case, if enough existed to dub them "Mk II" the overall impression is that there is still a good number out there.

As for a virus distributed by DRUM or similar satellites: I doubt it.
Remember how the HPG network works. It's not a WLAN. The links are not bidirectional. Every HPG sends its information as a radio wave that is "jumped" to a certain point in space. Could be a jump point, or the known location of a fleet. Or a ComStar receiver room on a planet. But not another HPG. They don't connect to each other, they don't do handshakes for protocols. They are just one-way transmitters.

So in order for malware from within the network to affect a new HPG, the sending (infected) HPG would have to know exactly where the receiving HPG is, plus there would have to be some connection to the operating system (as opposed to merely the data stream being handled). That's so unlikely as to be essentially impossible for newly-built HPGs fired up for test purposes.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 10 October 2018, 08:38:09 »
 By simply deploying the Magellans to critical worlds, Comstar would have applied sufficient pressure to cause the Inner Sphere governments to invest in more such vessels. Mobile HPGs are not immune.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 10 October 2018, 10:29:18 »
As for a virus distributed by DRUM or similar satellites: I doubt it.
Remember how the HPG network works. It's not a WLAN. The links are not bidirectional. Every HPG sends its information as a radio wave that is "jumped" to a certain point in space. Could be a jump point, or the known location of a fleet. Or a ComStar receiver room on a planet. But not another HPG. They don't connect to each other, they don't do handshakes for protocols. They are just one-way transmitters.

I doubt that there is no interaction with transmitted information at all. A passing through message, that should be re-transmitted to another HPG should be read for its destination at least.   

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 10 October 2018, 12:18:51 »
The black box idea is as good as any . Just because of Com Star interdiction The DC and FC after reintroducing the black box Never Stopped Using them . Uncle Chade"s Colation used a black box network . The Republic of the Sphere used them for intelligence work as well . If they never stopped using them someone would notice putting out an overstrong signal to mess up the HPG . As spy services would notice all the black boxes were getting noise before gray or black days happened . So that theory does not make as much sense as an exspantion equation  hardcoded in the system that produced accurate enough targeting for a couple of hundred years would eventually not be accurate enough at some time . It exsplains all observable issues . The places that were attacked had the records of the future replacement equations archived . The HPG that still work  are postioned that the equations are still valid . I had the idea that the ones that still work had a slightly better and updated targeting software but that would have been dicovered quicky in any in depth analysis between a HPG that worked and one that did not .  My scenario has the blackout an expected thing . The Malice was burying that it waa going to happen and eliminate the solution to get some kind of gain out of it.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2018, 13:43:17 by Col Toda »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #37 on: 10 October 2018, 13:48:21 »
Correct.  However, he mentions the chants descended from the original HPG techs.  The sidebar on War of 3039 is what alleges that the black boxes were responsible for interfering with HPGs at that stage...which would have been what necessitated the chants.  (Which is why I said I had no proof - just supporting evidence)

That’s a leap unsupported by the texts. Tucker doesn’t mention anything about interference being the reason for the chants, just that the HPGs needed “tuning” during installation and operation. That could be due to anything, not necessarily interference. Maybe the aiming algorithms needing tweaking to take celestial movement into account. After all, "HPGs are meant to target objects light-years distant for which they have exceedingly exact coordinates." (StratOps, p251)

Only... "Receiver HPGs" don't exist. You don't need a HPG to receive signal. HPGs just "jump" radio waves to a destination point from which they emerge as plain standard, well, radio waves.

While technically true that you don't need an HPG to receive a signal, the usual procedure is to "jump" the signal directly into the HPG core at the receiving station to minimize effects on the surroundings, usually a rather populated area. So, in that sense, yes there are "receiver HPGs" that can be part of such a test as Buhl's people conducted.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 11 October 2018, 09:44:09 »
Just my theory, as the writers could well go with giant space hamsters in the final reveal, but it meets my threshold for internal consistency, and would explain why Tucker was able to fix one using ancient chants, why mobile devices and new devices are hit as well, and why some stations stayed online.

What if they were miniaturized giant space hamsters?  After all, they are known for going for the eyes.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #39 on: 12 October 2018, 08:43:18 »
What if they were miniaturized giant space hamsters?  After all, they are known for going for the eyes.

The resulting creature would be capable of dimensional/time travel and be known as "Boo".

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 13 October 2018, 18:30:57 »
The resulting creature would be capable of dimensional/time travel and be known as "Boo".

I see what you did there...and I am amused  :thumbsup:

russtarvin

• Private
« Reply #41 on: 15 October 2018, 11:54:53 »
I seem to remember the Battlecorps story about the rediscovery of Jardine (the unfinished story) had a scene with the fake Thomas Marik/Halas getting a report of a shift in the center of the HPG network based on traffic patterns. I may be mis remembering the wrong story, but that interaction always stood out to me about the HPG network.  No clue as to what it could mean or if it is any way related to the blackout.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 15 October 2018, 14:56:27 »
It was another BC story that you're remembering here - Shadows of Faith, I believe. (Which, as published on BC, were the first few chapters of an upcoming novel that we still haven't seen even though Loren Coleman may finish it someday after all.)
From how I recall it off-hand, it was somehow important that the "ComStar Clock" that basically led the entire HPG network was not where ComStar had moved to (Tukayyid), but was in WoB hands (Terra or Gibson, iirc). That was somehow considered an important insight in-universe but I never understood the implications either. But the impression I had was that it had something to do with the ComStar/WoB conflict and nothing with the Dark Age, Blackout, or Fortress.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #43 on: 15 October 2018, 15:02:20 »
If I were to guess, Comstar archives records of all HPG traffic at a central location, and they discovered that those records were being routed to Terra first before passing on to Comstar's actual headquarters.

It would be a huge security breach.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #44 on: 15 October 2018, 15:17:37 »
It was that the focal points of the Blakist network and ComStar’s network should have been different during the years that WoB was headquartered on Gibson and it wasn’t. There weren’t two separate focal points until ComStar lost Terra in 3058 and shifted their operations to Tukayyid.

I believe that’s meant to indicate that the true center of Blakist power during those years was not, in fact, located on Gibson but rather in the Terran system, i.e., on Mars where Real!Thomas was chillaxing. The Master was pulling the strings, even though the rank and file of WoB thought Gibson was their baseworld and the First Circuit there was running their organization.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #45 on: 15 October 2018, 15:47:26 »
The problem with Com Star, as with all clandestine organizations, there are so many layers that it is quite possible that Point A has no idea Point Z even exist (case in point, Fotch had no idea about the Master) Com Star had become such a cloak and dagger operation by the time of the schism, their may have never been one true 'center' for such a murky organization.     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #46 on: 15 October 2018, 20:44:30 »
I seem to remember the Battlecorps story about the rediscovery of Jardine (the unfinished story) had a scene with the fake Thomas Marik/Halas getting a report of a shift in the center of the HPG network based on traffic patterns. I may be mis remembering the wrong story, but that interaction always stood out to me about the HPG network.  No clue as to what it could mean or if it is any way related to the blackout.

You're thinking of Coleman's story, not mine. Can't even recall its title any more, but it was set just before the last Whitting Conference.

- Herb

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #47 on: 15 October 2018, 20:48:44 »
Shadows of Faith
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register