Author Topic: Has Apollyon's Shootist been given stats?  (Read 19352 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: Has Apollyon's Shootist been given stats?
« Reply #120 on: 03 October 2018, 11:56:56 »
I'm surprised he didn't rock an Archangel

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #121 on: 03 October 2018, 12:04:03 »
On a slight tangent, did we ever get any reasoning why the Society built the Septicima Z?  The side effects given in TO are pretty nasty, but it  can't be used as a weapon because the system won't transmit unless there is a valid receiver.  A friend suggested the rather ludicrous plan of setting a GMHPG out in your forward elements to lure the enemy in, then when they are inside the AoE, fire a second GMHPG at the first and EMP everyone.  'Cause accounting would love to sign off on the requisition for 8 BILLION C-bills worth of hardware for a plan like that....

Not crazy enough.

St. Jamais piloted a Shootist at one point, could he have advocated the -8C instead of Pantsless?
Wasn't the Shootist a traditional SLDF/Comguard commander's ride?  In any case this could be Pantsless just trying to outdo St. Jamais.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #122 on: 03 October 2018, 13:12:12 »
The Pariah Z exists to carry a ground mobile HPG to a place where it can fire a datapulse with viruses and other subversive software at a nearby WarShip.
The ship is a valid receiver because the incoming pulse is probably recognized as a Clan message. It should not be a problem for the Society to fake authorization, and it should not be a problem for them to bypass the ships security measures. Undoubtedly the scientist caste knows all about Clan WarShip internal security (not that Clans are good at those things in the first place, theft isn't terribly common among them).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #123 on: 03 October 2018, 13:55:01 »
Even then . . . like I described earlier, just blipping a test message off when it affects a Clan trinary but not the Society forces outside the area of effect, its going to be a great force multiplier.  The Septicimia just has to survive to get into EMP 'range' which is not going to be hard on anything outside a salt flat.  It would have also been a shock to the Clan troops- just like Clan weapons were to the IS garrisons at first, I want to say there was a fluff bit about one of the Flames causing havoc with Plasma weapons, or any other time you introduce something that shifts the paradigm.  The troops will have to deal with their surprise about how 'reality' changed as well as the practical effects, its one of the arguments about letting out revolutionary tech in drips or saving it for morale shock that can grant a crushing victory.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #124 on: 03 October 2018, 15:05:44 »

There were already enough high ranking characters who rode Archangels.  I think maybe a Vanquisher that was tricked out with Clantech (which would actually make it a legitimately threatening machine even without an insane machine freak for a pilot).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #125 on: 03 October 2018, 15:20:53 »
There were already enough high ranking characters who rode Archangels.  I think maybe a Vanquisher that was tricked out with Clantech (which would actually make it a legitimately threatening machine even without an insane machine freak for a pilot).

Then everyone in his unit would have to hear him on the net mumbling, 'I am . . . the Vanquisher.'
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #126 on: 03 October 2018, 20:29:10 »
i actually tried to work up a Shootist Apollyon in megameklab earlier.. working on the idea of "heavily and unusually modified" as basically meaning that, while it was obviously based on the Shootist, it's systems and weapons were for a totally different style of fighting.

sadly MML wasn't working quite right (i think my computer is having some issues while i'm reinstalling MWO.)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 04 October 2018, 09:04:56 »
Do we have anything on Apollyon's implants and stats?  Yeah, folks like Berith are pretty much unholy, with implants that combine to give him a net gun skill of -1, and according to SB Wolf and Blake, an initiative bonus of +5, but did Apollyon come up through the ranks as a warrior or more through fanaticism?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #128 on: 04 October 2018, 09:10:39 »
Do we have anything on Apollyon's implants and stats?  Yeah, folks like Berith are pretty much unholy, with implants that combine to give him a net gun skill of -1, and according to SB Wolf and Blake, an initiative bonus of +5, but did Apollyon come up through the ranks as a warrior or more through fanaticism?

Guessing a heaping helping of columns A and B. His devotion to The Master is pretty hard to miss in his appearances, after all. But, the other side of it is that a devoted dishwasher is still a dishwasher- he has to have done something to really come to the attention of Marik to begin with, to say nothing of a reason he's got all the cyberware to begin with, and 'wounded veteran' seems like the most likely (if cliche) way for all that to have come about. Thus, a fanatically loyal but broken soldier gains favor with his lord, and Marik- himself having suffered some grievous wounds- gives our wounded warrior a new lease on life, a new body to use, and a new name- Apollyon.

That's sheer guesswork, mind you.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #129 on: 04 October 2018, 09:24:05 »
"ARISE!  Arise from the ashes of your old life and now live to serve me!  You will be my hand in the world, and shall be henceforth known as Apollyon!  Go forth my paladin and bring Blake's enlightenment to mankind!"

Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #130 on: 04 October 2018, 10:58:15 »
Isn't Apollyon 'precentor pantsless' on the cover of jihad hotspots 3072?

He looks pretty heavily modified if he is.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #131 on: 04 October 2018, 11:05:12 »
I always thought so but I was not keeping up with sourcebooks at the time due to lack of funds.
Colt Ward

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #132 on: 04 October 2018, 12:47:11 »

"Precentor Apollyon? Can you hear me?"

"Where... is... Melissa? Is she safe? Is she all right?"

"It seems, in your anger, you killed her."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #133 on: 04 October 2018, 13:15:00 »
Yes that's him...

From research :

Either MASC Prosthetic Legs or TSM enhanced
Enhanced Multi-Modal Eye
Pain Shunt
Multi-Modal Speech
Boosted Communication Unit
Improved Enhanced Prosthetic Arm, Right
Possible Filtration Lung
Possible Filtration Liver
Possible Secondary Energy Source
Possible Multi-Modal Ear
Triple Core Processor
Maybe a Buffered VDNI...

How do I know this... my AU Tau Omega WoB Infantry might have some of these implants. Or not...  >:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #134 on: 04 October 2018, 13:22:58 »
lets assume all of those.. since he is the master's right hand and thus probably got first dibs on all the toys.
what would all that translate into as far as effects on the gameplay? (as i said, i'm trying to design a custom ride for him, just in fun.. and i'd assume he'd design a mech variant that plays to his strengths.)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #135 on: 04 October 2018, 13:33:23 »
Triple Core Processor and Buffered VDNI are given his high rank and him being a MechWarrior. (The latter can be removed, and Apollyon undoubtedly has access to best drugs and other therapies to reduce issues caused by the VDNI.)
Pain Shunt is questionable, it is something for agents and spies but for others it causes issues with tactile sensation... OTOH this may not be relevant if he has prosthetic hands or hand.
Secondary energy source is very likely given the large amount of cybernetics.
Otherwise Truetanker's list is pretty good.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #136 on: 04 October 2018, 13:34:56 »
Well . . . all the most advanced cutting edge stuff . . .

Endo composite structure?
Clan XXL engine?
L-AMS
CASE II if we put any explody things . . .
Clan Ferro-Lam armor?
Nova CEWS?  (what, we never got the RS for his bodyguard's mechs either)
Blue Sheild?
Chammie Light Polarization or Void Sig

Weapons . . . time to get exotic!
Rail Gun!  Give that MechCommander DM weapon some stats . . . or go more boring with a improved HGR for the BFG
Large VSPL
2 Med XPulse- or maybe VSPL if they have room
1 Small XPulse- just to kill infantry.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #137 on: 04 October 2018, 14:05:57 »
Well the Eye and Ear would give him 2 extra Probe hexes if his ride has it, TSM gives more damage unarmed ( .14 ) and allows heavier weapons, Support, to be carried by him. MASC legs just allow 2 MP per turn dismounted. The Eye / Ear combo and Boosted Comm gives him a friendly C3i link. The arm has the ability to use special attacks, depending on what you give him, your allowed 2 : Vibroblade and Laser? ( gives .21 damage ) while the rest gives nothing.

I don't remember what the TCP gave off hand.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #138 on: 04 October 2018, 14:13:56 »
actually i had an idea worked out already, but if it doesn't work with the bonuses and penalties he gets from all his cyberware, i'll start over. i'm assuming he'd to cutting edge WOB produced gear, rather than the salvaged/stolen clan stuff. Pride in his faction and all that. though i also assume he'd have access to some of their more exotic lostech left over from the star league days

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #139 on: 04 October 2018, 14:16:20 »
The WoB isn't above using ClanTech. Cameron St. Jamais Awesome sported twin Clan ER PPCs, and the Spectral-LAMs used ClanTech as well.
Plus the WoB may have had a Clan-spec factory on Terra, at least the fluff for Purifier Terra implies that.

So, a mixed tech machine is probable, superweapon or not.

We should take the actual loadout discussion to the customs forum though.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #140 on: 04 October 2018, 15:45:34 »
Triple Core Processor and Buffered VDNI are given his high rank and him being a MechWarrior. (The latter can be removed, and Apollyon undoubtedly has access to best drugs and other therapies to reduce issues caused by the VDNI.)
Pain Shunt is questionable, it is something for agents and spies but for others it causes issues with tactile sensation... OTOH this may not be relevant if he has prosthetic hands or hand.
Secondary energy source is very likely given the large amount of cybernetics.
Otherwise Truetanker's list is pretty good.

Are you sure about the Pain Shunt? It is very useful countering the main drawback of VDNI - feedback from internal damage to the mech.

And tactile sensation should not be an issue, considering he pilots his mech with his brain, not his hands - plus as you say, he may have prosthetics that do not rely on biological hardware to operate.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #141 on: 04 October 2018, 15:49:39 »
Any of those implants overcome the +1 TH from Void Sig?

Because . . . if my calculations are right, with a Clan XXL, iHGR w/2t ammo, Large VSPL, 2 Med XPulse, Small XPulse, 11t Ferro-Lam armor, CASE II, Void Sig powered by Clan ECM, and a single DHS gets a pretty mean Shootist firing from ambush.  Not sure if a Clan XL & IS/CL Endo Composite would be better for crit/heat management but . . .

Its one expensive monster mech.
Colt Ward

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #142 on: 04 October 2018, 15:58:43 »
Are you sure about the Pain Shunt? It is very useful countering the main drawback of VDNI - feedback from internal damage to the mech.

And tactile sensation should not be an issue, considering he pilots his mech with his brain, not his hands - plus as you say, he may have prosthetics that do not rely on biological hardware to operate.

He often forgets to wear pants because he can't feel the breeze down there.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #143 on: 04 October 2018, 15:59:13 »
Also if we give the Shootist a clan Light Probe, his modifiers would match a standard's range. And since he has a built in C3i, we can disperse with it all together. The Pain Shunt would allow him to react positively to the situation, " any pilot damage from ammo explosions, heat effects or VDNI feedback from internal structure/critical damage; other damage applies normally but requires no Consciousness Roll... ". ( sarna )

But I agree, we should move any technical specs over to the Fan Boards.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #144 on: 04 October 2018, 16:08:28 »
I'd look at the clan Medium Pulse Laser, or for fun, the Heavy Medium Laser brought to you by Diamond Shark merchants for a pretty penny, or SL-tech!

Something that can give it a ' strangeness ' look...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #145 on: 04 October 2018, 16:09:42 »

I figure that an important figure might be vain enough to want to retain tactile properly. Also he might be good enough not to have to worry about feedback frying his brain.

And Kit makes a very good point, though... actually, not gonna complete that thought.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #146 on: 04 October 2018, 16:19:16 »
So ' he's' cosmetically a girl...  :-X Right.... buda-bump tish * exits stage left *

;D
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #147 on: 04 October 2018, 20:15:38 »
I had a list around here someplace....

- Herb

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #148 on: 05 October 2018, 08:33:56 »
Well . . . all the most advanced cutting edge stuff . . .

Endo composite structure?
Clan XXL engine?
L-AMS
CASE II if we put any explody things . . .
Clan Ferro-Lam armor?
Nova CEWS?  (what, we never got the RS for his bodyguard's mechs either)
Blue Sheild?
Chammie Light Polarization or Void Sig

Weapons . . . time to get exotic!
Rail Gun!  Give that MechCommander DM weapon some stats . . . or go more boring with a improved HGR for the BFG
Large VSPL
2 Med XPulse- or maybe VSPL if they have room
1 Small XPulse- just to kill infantry.

Probably a small cockpit as well, since his implants would let him offset those penalties easily enough.

EDIT: Adding link to Custom Design thread about the Shootist so we can get there easily.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2018, 08:35:58 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #149 on: 05 October 2018, 16:41:48 »
Any of those implants overcome the +1 TH from Void Sig?

Because . . . if my calculations are right, with a Clan XXL, iHGR w/2t ammo, Large VSPL, 2 Med XPulse, Small XPulse, 11t Ferro-Lam armor, CASE II, Void Sig powered by Clan ECM, and a single DHS gets a pretty mean Shootist firing from ambush.  Not sure if a Clan XL & IS/CL Endo Composite would be better for crit/heat management but . . .

Its one expensive monster mech.

Looking at IO, pg 79, enhanced multi-modal eye, it talks about a -1 TH, along with the bVDNI/VDNI's -1 TH, and a probable gun skill of 1-2.  Add tar comp or AES, and those VSPLs, that +1 from the Void Sig doesn't seem like a problem.

Also, I can't make the iHGR and Clan XXL engine work without a compact gyro.  Clan XXL takes 4 side torso crits leaving 8 free.  iHGR needs 11, and without compact gyro, there's only 2 slots in the CT.

Although if Apollyon is the Masters "favorite," what are the odds he has his own personal Interface Armor?