Author Topic: Mechs That Surprised You  (Read 10706 times)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
Re: Mechs That Surprised You
« Reply #30 on: 13 October 2018, 02:39:20 »
GHR-5H Grasshopper .

Probably one of the biggest early surprise mechs in the game .
It just seems so average compared to other designs until you use it .

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 13 October 2018, 02:44:54 »
Phew, a lot of mechs fit this question for me. I've always liked seeing what I can get out of sub-optimal mechs, and have had surprisingly good results out of them many a time .

Charger: Yeah, it has popgun armament, but it is good in it's intended heavy recon role. It makes a great physical attacker though, and being cheap as chips can handle the hand to hand while more suitable mechs lay down the firepower.

Quickdraw: Again, not the best mech on paper but it does work well for heavy recon and physical attacks.

Crusader: Always favored the 3k, but even the 3r has done well for me in the past, as long as it sticks to missile support and dumps its ammo when appropriate.

Dragon: The Ac5 is a turn off, but if you take advantage of its cool-running nature you have a good skirmisher that can consistantly provide long range support on the move.

Whitworth: Only really 'bad' in the fluff, actually a great medium mech.

Cyclops: Compared to the Atlas, it's pants, but pretend it's a heavy and presto, you have a pocket Atlas. I've had it perform well as a bodyguard for my comander's Warhammer many a time.

Honorable mention: The Loki. Yeah it's not great. However when you've never seen Clan mechs before and one pops over a hill and slags your prize Warhammer at age 12...well yeah that was surprising.

« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 02:46:40 by Kos »

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #32 on: 13 October 2018, 04:48:28 »
Jagermech-6S - I have never been a fan of the Rifleman-3N (not enough armour, not enough heatsinks to be able to use the firepower, and shallow ammo bin to boot). The fluff for the Jagermech-6S is that it was built as an improved replacement for the Rifleman but review the stats and it has even thinner armour, better on the heat but the popgun AC/5s augmented by bb-gun AC/2s means that you have compromised the firepower the twin large lasers offered on the Rifleman, and still have the problem of shallow ammo bins.

When playing OPFOR for a mate's Megamek campaign, I rolled one on a RAT. I was not trying to make life difficult for him, so with a sigh and a shrug I added it to the ORBAT for the pirate band that I was playing. During the battle I was able to get it onto a wooded elevation to provide fire support for the pirate battle line.  It made life hell for my mate's unit, consistently plinking from distance while my mate could not afford to devote the turn of concentrated fire on the Jagermech to bring it down because he had to concentrate on my line of battle. I was impressed by its performance, I guess the trick is to have a battle line of brawlers and trooper mechs that effectively become mobile armour for the Jagermech. The paired AC2/AC5 look weak on paper but parking the Jagermech at the right range means it can get consistent hits that add up over a number of rounds.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 04:55:44 by Feenix74 »
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 13 October 2018, 10:08:48 »
In a reverse surprise...the Thunderbolt.  On paper it's a good 'mech.  People swear by it in actual play.  I get creamed when I use it.  :-[

I have a similar issue with the Orion.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 13 October 2018, 10:40:03 »
Jagermech-6S - I have never been a fan of the Rifleman-3N (not enough armour, not enough heatsinks to be able to use the firepower, and shallow ammo bin to boot).
I recall that in the Rifleman MotW, there was discussion about how the Rifleman's weaknesses cancel each other out, in a way.
Initial fire pattern should go like laser-AC-AC, until the bin is empty (no heating up if you're stationary). At that point, you don't need to worry about heat anymore, and you can just fire all the lasers. Low amount of ammo is also a boon given that the 'Mech has thin armor.
The 'Mech is a battlecruiser really, more firepower than durability and sense.

That said, neither 'Mech is really not meant for line combat. They do fine in their intended task, though i'm not saying they couldn't be better even in that role.

As for the JagerMech and the Clint mentioned earlier (and most likely other similar "this looks kinda shit" units), i'm thinking they do well because opponents are likely to dismiss them as irrelevant due to their low damage output. Low armor doesn't matter if you aren't getting hit, and this gives time for their low damage output to add up.
Personally i'd be inclined to make some effort (but not too much) to take them out, if only to force them to be careful.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 13 October 2018, 10:59:36 »
It is the AC5. It puts people off. There are a few good Mechs in this list hiding behind an AC5.

It absolutely is. Saw that and thought "We don't need a clan Clint, the Clint IIc is already a clan clint, and its better than the clint." but I was wrong.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #36 on: 13 October 2018, 12:08:30 »
The fluff for the 12C Longbow, describes the 7V as somewhat lacking.

The truth though, it's a fine long ranged support mech with a vicious
surprise for the unwary flanker.  I often take issue with fluff, when it's
patently false.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 13 October 2018, 12:49:27 »
I often take issue with fluff, when it's patently false.

Amen to that.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #38 on: 13 October 2018, 12:59:09 »
In a reverse surprise...the Thunderbolt.  On paper it's a good 'mech.  People swear by it in actual play.  I get creamed when I use it.  :-[

First qestion is which Thunderbolt and second would be whats your play style.

Allot of great mechs use LRMs but I'm crap with LRMs. For example; the Orion is a great mech as long as it's piloted by anyone but me. ;)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #39 on: 13 October 2018, 14:06:25 »
It is the AC5. It puts people off. There are a few good Mechs in this list hiding behind an AC5.

It's the T1 with the AC/5. The T2 has a ProtoMech AC/8, Clan mediums, ECM, and AES on the arm with the Retractable Blade.

The ProtoMech AC/8 was a surprise all it's own. It was way more effective than I thought it'd be.
I have spoken.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #40 on: 13 October 2018, 14:50:16 »
First qestion is which Thunderbolt and second would be whats your play style.

ALL of them.  I have tried the vast majority of TDR variants over twenty years of play, and except for two times, it ends in sadness, tears, and an ammo or engine explosion.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 13 October 2018, 15:16:58 »
One mech that's really surprised me in a negative way has been the Daishi.  Every time I take one of those things out it either suffers a TAC to the gyro or ammo bin that cripples it at the start of the fight or it winds up being unable to hit the broadside of a barn from the inside.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #42 on: 13 October 2018, 16:40:26 »
Going the other way I got one.  Any Victor that doesn't have CASE or can't fight past nine hexes(twelve if using extreme range rules).

Even in environments where you'd think not being able to fight past 9 hexes wouldn't be a big deal Victors have performed terribly for me.

If they at least have CASE or can fight past nine hexes I get a lot better mileage out of them.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 13 October 2018, 17:19:11 »
ALL of them.  I have tried the vast majority of TDR variants over twenty years of play, and except for two times, it ends in sadness, tears, and an ammo or engine explosion.

Lol it's Crusaders for us that seem to end that way. Thunderbolts on the other hand are just the opposite. As players we love them and as the GM they hate it when I use them as part of an opposing force.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #44 on: 13 October 2018, 17:40:26 »

That is because so few mechs are built to properly utilize it.

They either have too many of them (2+) or not enough (0) when the key to the AC5, IMHO, is to compliment it with some other weapon (PPC, LL, LRM15, etc etc) so that you get a nice combo of heat v/s damage v/s tonnage that is in balance instead of something with horrible stats that I swear was only built to match the art.  (looks at Rifleman)

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #45 on: 13 October 2018, 18:38:48 »

Sounds like you need to run a pair. I've had interesting moments where one Mech will get all the bad luck, and all the good luck would fall on the other.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #46 on: 14 October 2018, 01:40:14 »
The JM6-S Jagermech. Even before it became a mainstay in a sword and Dragon campaign my wife and I played. I was surprised at how few players regarded it as a thrwat, only to have armor peeled away steadily at PPC range over multiple turns while they were focusing on “real” threats like my P Hawks, Vindicators, or Centurions.

It led to a little Idiom “You may not fear the Jagermech, but by God you will respect it”
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #47 on: 14 October 2018, 05:55:01 »
Lol it's Crusaders for us that seem to end that way. Thunderbolts on the other hand are just the opposite. As players we love them and as the GM they hate it when I use them as part of an opposing force.
Crusaders, Thunderbolts, Orions, Highlanders, Stalkers, all of those famous powerhouses are just ammo bombs in my hands.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 14 October 2018, 07:36:47 »
is to compliment it with some other weapon (PPC, LL, LRM15, etc etc)
AC/5 to PPC: "Oh man, you're so much better than me"
 :D

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #49 on: 14 October 2018, 15:09:51 »
He can also claim that this companion is hotter

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 14 October 2018, 16:34:15 »
AC/5 to PPC: "Oh man, you're so much better than me"
 :D

AC5 is less effective and efficient that PPC. On the other hand, it's also 7 tons lighter than PPC+single heat sinks.

It's indefensible after DHS, but definitely has it's place in introtech. 2 fully sinked PPC are 24 tons, accounting for engine mounted, as opposed to 17 tons for the PPC+ ac/5

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 14 October 2018, 17:01:33 »
That assumes you're going for full heat neutrality.  Or that you're not going to use those heatsinks for something else, like an array of short-range weapons.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 14 October 2018, 19:01:13 »
Who needs heat neutrality? Something like the Warhammer or Marauder works just fine. Fire all long-range weapons, you heat up a bit but you can do that a round or two in row without issues. Heck, -1 MP isn't necessarily a big drawback anyway (at least from 4/6 to 3/5, 5/8 to 4/6 is bigger deal), but i don't really push past 8 heat without at least a veteran pilot though. That's large margin for using twin PPCs.

2 fully sinked PPC are 24 tons, accounting for engine mounted, as opposed to 17 tons for the PPC+ ac/5
But with the latter combo, you also lose 25% damage, and introduce an explosive component to your 'Mech and limit your maximum endurance.
For lower weight and better range you could just use PPC+LRM-10 (deals a bit more damage than the AC/5 usually), assuming minimum range is not an issue. A bit more heat, but easy enough to manage, and you get a left-over ton or two for other stuff.

I can't actually recall any (intro level) 'Mechs with a PPC and AC/5 that isn't the Banshee 3E. And that 'Mech doesn't make good use of that combo, thanks to being way oversinked. PPC+AC/5 with a 'Mech with 11-13 heat sinks? Sure, why not. But i don't think that's an option.

« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 19:03:05 by Empyrus »

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #53 on: 14 October 2018, 19:09:07 »
The Hellbringer C.  ATMs, LB-20X, assortment of lasers.  I looked at it and thought, "what the hell are you supposed to do?"

Stomp face, is the answer.  Despite the armor, it just kinda beats the hell out of things.  Beats them up very, very well.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 14 October 2018, 19:32:24 »
Yeah, that's a mech that runs up to your face screaming "one of us is going to die."

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #55 on: 14 October 2018, 21:22:32 »
I can't actually recall any (intro level) 'Mechs with a PPC and AC/5 that isn't the Banshee 3E.

The Striker STC-2C has both.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #56 on: 14 October 2018, 22:11:03 »
I have to throw down two that surprised me, and it was going up against them that was the surprise.  Classic 3025 mechs, the GHR-5H Grasshopper and the VTR-9B Victor.  My brother used those both in a two on two battle against me back in the day.  I was shocked at how effective they were (and still are.)  They are mechs I look to when it's going to be a medium to short range battle.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #57 on: 14 October 2018, 23:01:18 »
Another Raptor lover here. The two variants with dual large lasers (the A and the R, even if that one is a cheat) are vicious little monsters. Also surprised how decent an Ostscout can be. Sure, the original only had a ML, but it was an 8/12/8 ML. And the two CS variants are surprisingly scary. I still laugh at one of my favorite Osty moments. We were about to be shooed out of the store (was closing for the night), so as the last move of the night, I pulled a 10 hex charge into the back of an Avatar and tore its engine out, only taking armor damage in return. Not bad to take out twice your weight in one turn, no?

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #58 on: 14 October 2018, 23:42:02 »
I can't actually recall any (intro level) 'Mechs with a PPC and AC/5 that isn't the Banshee 3E. And that 'Mech doesn't make good use of that combo, thanks to being way oversinked. PPC+AC/5 with a 'Mech with 11-13 heat sinks? Sure, why not. But i don't think that's an option.

Wait. You forgot the Marauder already?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: 14 October 2018, 23:46:15 »
 Thunderbolt. My cousin loved them. Every time he used one it destroyed whatever I was fielding. At least twice to a cockpit critical from a flight of LRM's.

Register