Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf: a Running Review  (Read 32238 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Re: Hour of the Wolf: a Running Review
« Reply #240 on: 21 May 2021, 15:08:38 »
Guys, do we want to move away from "which is worse?"? I see no path on which this argument leads to anything good.

I will. It's fine.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #241 on: 21 May 2021, 16:23:54 »
Without otherwise commenting...  do mine next. :)

https://www.amazon.com/BattleTech-Blood-Will-Jason-Schmetzer-ebook/dp/B095JFJ3WR/ref=sr_1_1

thanks i didn't catch that had put out on kindle or i would had bought it without prompting

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #242 on: 21 May 2021, 16:27:04 »
You'd be surprised.  ^-^

Far Country has much better characters. I like Dakodo, a damn alien bird, much more than any single character in Hour of the Wolf. The Tetatae are more useful and defined than the "lovable" tanker crew in Hour. Takuda, Seagroves, Vost... all somehow have more personality than any character in Hour. These characters are pretty cut and dry and accomplish so much more.

I stand by it. I challenge anyone to read Far Country and find out. Peter Rice did a better job with a quirky one-off book.

Ugh. I'm tempted to read Star Lord and find out if it's worse than Hour.

save yourself the headache of reading Star lord just say its of equal value.  In my opinion Star Lord was worse but i also thing far country was worse so yours may differ. 
« Last Edit: 21 May 2021, 16:29:50 by Marveryn »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #243 on: 22 May 2021, 01:09:36 »
I see what you did there! Just for the record, which # Jason is Schmetzer?
He's Jason #1, the Highmost.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #244 on: 22 May 2021, 02:23:19 »
Without otherwise commenting...  do mine next. :)

https://www.amazon.com/BattleTech-Blood-Will-Jason-Schmetzer-ebook/dp/B095JFJ3WR/ref=sr_1_1

I have the book on order. Can't guarantee I'll do a review on it.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #245 on: 26 May 2021, 06:56:25 »
While I agree that Stone's reveal that he was the one to invite the Wolves through the Fortress Wall should not have been enough to knock Alaric so far off-kilter, I think there would still have been a good opportunity to lean in to one of the Dark Age's ongoing after-effects: the lack of clear lines of communication.

To put it another way: even if the Wolf Watch was as sophisticated as certain rival intelligence agencies across the Inner Sphere (which, it would appear, it is not), it makes sense for the intel the Wolf Empire does possess to be focused on its nearest neighbours, with little known about what forces are in place on the "far side" of Terra.

The Republic, on the other hand, has had much more time and opportunity to gather intel from across the Inner Sphere, not least on the looming threats heading their way from the Capellan Confederation and the Draconis Combine.

So, while Alaric would have walked into his final chat with Stone retaining a sense of triumph in the wake of his own conquest of Terra (as reflected by his overconfident goading of the Hell's Horses in the previous chapter), Stone could have shaken him out of his complacency by pointing out how many CCAF regiments are now within one jump of Terra - and how many DCMS regiments are expected to be so by the time the Fortress stops working.

And that, on top of all of this, imagine if those months he thought he had with the Wall staying up turned out to be more like like weeks...

(This would all still be Stone actually trying to "help" Alaric. It wouldn't do for Stone to lose his "investment" so soon, after all.)

Although, even if Stone himself wasn't planning on it, imagine if Tucker Harwell decided to send Alaric a parting gift of his own, by arranging for a recording of Stone's final moments to be broadcast in time for Alaric's coronation ceremony. I wonder how the new First Lord of the Star League might react then...
« Last Edit: 26 May 2021, 07:06:52 by Nerroth »