Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf: a Running Review  (Read 32587 times)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Hour of the Wolf: a Running Review
« Reply #210 on: 20 May 2021, 19:51:53 »
Herb, can we go back to a simpler time? When everyone was angry at you/TPTB for killing factions?

Nope! Once upon a time, maybe, I'd take the job back, but now? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

- Herb

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #211 on: 21 May 2021, 07:19:55 »
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAH!

- Herb

Is that a “don’t worry, guys, we’re about to introduce the Steel Viper survivors to save the Inner Sphere from crummy, one-note characters ‘AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA’”?

Or is that a “yeah, you’re stuck with Alaric ‘AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA’”?

Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #212 on: 21 May 2021, 07:21:40 »
Any character can be fixed. (with enough explosives)

We've seen Anastasia change personalities at least half dozen times per author writing her. 
« Last Edit: 21 May 2021, 09:15:01 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #213 on: 21 May 2021, 07:22:25 »
I'm not sayin' Clan Mongoose is due for a comeback, but I'm not saying it ain't, either...
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #214 on: 21 May 2021, 09:41:09 »
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #215 on: 21 May 2021, 09:52:22 »
Without otherwise commenting...  do mine next. :)

https://www.amazon.com/BattleTech-Blood-Will-Jason-Schmetzer-ebook/dp/B095JFJ3WR/ref=sr_1_1

Oh boy, now we have authors asking for this treatment.  I'm looking forward to reading this one, by the way!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #216 on: 21 May 2021, 10:07:16 »
Oh boy, now we have authors asking for this treatment.  I'm looking forward to reading this one, by the way!

I was actually going to ask for it, once Failings in Teaching drops in August. ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #217 on: 21 May 2021, 10:54:59 »

https://www.amazon.com/BattleTech-Blood-Will-Jason-Schmetzer-ebook/dp/B095JFJ3WR/ref=sr_1_1
There simply are not enough kind words for Mr. Schmetzer's latest work, but certainly there are a surfeit of bad ones...
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #218 on: 21 May 2021, 11:46:49 »

I see what you did there! Just for the record, which # Jason is Schmetzer?
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #219 on: 21 May 2021, 12:17:30 »
Just to be fair.

I don't read a lot. I don't expect a a lot when reading BattleTech novels. I'm not expecting Frank Herbert or JRR Tolkien. BattleTech novels are easy reads, which isn't a bad thing at all the franchise has good writers.

I'm holding a book like Hour of the Wolf on a much higher pedestal, though. Far Country should not be a better BattleTech novel than Hour of the Wolf, but indeed it is.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #220 on: 21 May 2021, 12:21:32 »
Tucker? Emo whiney Tucker?

Admit it, if any of us were isekai'ed into Hour of the Wolf we would probably spend the time complaining about how stupid this all is, just like Tucker.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #221 on: 21 May 2021, 12:22:18 »
Just to be fair.

I don't read a lot. I don't expect a a lot when reading BattleTech novels. I'm not expecting Frank Herbert or JRR Tolkien. BattleTech novels are easy reads, which isn't a bad thing at all the franchise has good writers.

I'm holding a book like Hour of the Wolf on a much higher pedestal, though. Far Country should not be a better BattleTech novel than Hour of the Wolf, but indeed it is.

The really sad thing is that while everyone will scoff at that remark, it is objectively true.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #222 on: 21 May 2021, 12:23:44 »

BIRDS!!!!

- Herb

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #223 on: 21 May 2021, 12:32:06 »
BIRDS!!!!

- Herb

The correct response is SQUAWK!!!!!!!!!

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #224 on: 21 May 2021, 13:05:24 »
The really sad thing is that while everyone will scoff at that remark, it is objectively true.

You'd be surprised.  ^-^

Far Country has much better characters. I like Dakodo, a damn alien bird, much more than any single character in Hour of the Wolf. The Tetatae are more useful and defined than the "lovable" tanker crew in Hour. Takuda, Seagroves, Vost... all somehow have more personality than any character in Hour. These characters are pretty cut and dry and accomplish so much more.

I stand by it. I challenge anyone to read Far Country and find out. Peter Rice did a better job with a quirky one-off book.

Ugh. I'm tempted to read Star Lord and find out if it's worse than Hour.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #225 on: 21 May 2021, 13:22:04 »
You'd be surprised.  ^-^

Far Country has much better characters. I like Dakodo, a damn alien bird, much more than any single character in Hour of the Wolf. The Tetatae are more useful and defined than the "lovable" tanker crew in Hour. Takuda, Seagroves, Vost... all somehow have more personality than any character in Hour. These characters are pretty cut and dry and accomplish so much more.

I stand by it. I challenge anyone to read Far Country and find out. Peter Rice did a better job with a quirky one-off book.

Ugh. I'm tempted to read Star Lord and find out if it's worse than Hour.

I don't disagree, that's why I'm saying, it's rather sad. There have been a few apologetics for Hour, but not many. And it might be the cool thing to bash on Far Country, because it was bad as a BattleTech book, but on the literary merits, if you were a teacher grading the writing, Far Country would come in at probably a solid B, maybe an A-, while HotW would be covered in red marks and get an F.

As for Star Lord, remember who has "additional writing credits" on that one. I haven't read it in a long time, but I can't imagine that as lampooned as it is, that certain people "editing" it would have made it any more palatable as a novel. Although, it was 25 years ago, so the slide into...whatever hadn't quite begun yet. I have a physical copy of it that I snagged about 6 months back, but haven't managed to actually force myself to read it.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #226 on: 21 May 2021, 13:26:51 »
Far Country is a terrible book, and the idea that the characters in it have realistic motivations is just laughable.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #227 on: 21 May 2021, 13:37:06 »
Far Country is a terrible book, and the idea that the characters in it have realistic motivations is just laughable.

I thought the motivation of the primary merc character in it was “all your women belong to me”?

At least that’s what I remember from this side of the two+ decades since I last read it.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #228 on: 21 May 2021, 13:48:05 »
Faith, star lord is someone's teenage RPG story with his friends in a basement. Not worth it.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #229 on: 21 May 2021, 13:48:18 »

Yeah, because Hour of the Wolf really did a better job? The motivations were weird, but they were still defined and fit the world that Peter wrote. And, the characters grew from it.

I thought the motivation of the primary merc character in it was “all your women belong to me”?

At least that’s what I remember from this side of the two+ decades since I last read it.

Ruger

Vost was a real piece of work.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #230 on: 21 May 2021, 13:48:45 »

I haven't read Far Country in a while, but I've seen several reviews of it lately, and like I said, while it might be bad BattleTech, there's a good case for it being good as a novel. There is not a good case for HotW being good at either of those things.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #231 on: 21 May 2021, 13:49:39 »
I haven't read Far Country in a while, but I've seen several reviews of it lately, and like I said, while it might be bad BattleTech, there's a good case for it being good as a novel. There is not a good case for HotW being good at either of those things.

This. Took the words right from my mouth.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #232 on: 21 May 2021, 13:50:00 »
Faith, star lord is someone's teenage RPG story with his friends in a basement. Not worth it.

But it was edited and fixed by the greatest author to ever put words to page, so that must count for something, right?  ::)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #233 on: 21 May 2021, 13:51:49 »
But it was edited and fixed by the greatest author to ever put words to page, so that must count for something, right?  ::)

*looks at the "additional writer" in his copy of Star Lord*

Mother of god.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #234 on: 21 May 2021, 13:54:04 »
LOL. Well. Truth be told, his main antagonist and how people react to him (allowing him to get away with all kinds of nonsense) would fit in HotW.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #235 on: 21 May 2021, 14:05:16 »
Well I didn't expect that....
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #236 on: 21 May 2021, 14:09:23 »

No there isn't, Far Country is a bad novel too.  The things that make it bad are nothing to do with BattleTech and everything to do with the writing.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #237 on: 21 May 2021, 14:26:37 »
No there isn't, Far Country is a bad novel too.  The things that make it bad are nothing to do with BattleTech and everything to do with the writing.

It's still better than Hour of the Wolf.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #238 on: 21 May 2021, 15:02:28 »
It's still better than Hour of the Wolf.

Hour of the Wolf isn't even Pardoe's worst BattleTech novel, let alone as bad as Far Country,

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #239 on: 21 May 2021, 15:07:38 »
Guys, do we want to move away from "which is worse?"? I see no path on which this argument leads to anything good.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost