Author Topic: David Drake's passing  (Read 1477 times)

Luciora

• Major
David Drake's passing
« on: 11 December 2023, 11:57:37 »
Passed on December 10th.

https://david-drake.com/

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: David Drake's passing
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2023, 12:49:05 »
he wasn't my favorite writer but there were a number of books he wrote that I read.

sucks, that another of the writers passed

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2023, 18:24:42 »
NOOO!!!  I was hoping for at least one more RCN book...

He even responded to me once through his website.  :cry:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2023, 19:18:20 »
Thank sucks.
RIP David
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2023, 20:20:58 »
His Hammer's Slammers books weren't my cup of tea but The General Series with SM Sterling, those I've read a half dozen times at least. 

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2023, 20:33:02 »
one of the class acts that nearly made the military Science Fiction subgenre respectable is gone.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2023, 20:34:17 »
Damn. Has anyone told F16?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2023, 20:38:28 »
He probably knows. 
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2023, 21:53:13 »
Very likely indeed... I hope he's taking it well...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2023, 18:49:43 »
I'm surprised this thread hasn't seen more traffic... I really thought he captured a lot of 3025's vibe... :/

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2023, 11:35:49 »
One of the greatest writers of all time.

Basically created modern military SF. And the Man's sheer RANGE, in writing extremely grounded stories based on his time in vietnam, to his Old Nathan fantasy work, his horror wiriting, his humour! Gods, the man's humour work!, more conventional SF and fantasy and everything in between, plus his work through his small press keeping the pulp alive. What a loss.

The man was an example to Veterans of dealing in a healthy way with your trauma and even turning it to make a profit in a way that reached so many others. His love of the classics, translating latin for *fun* for crying out loud, the man was a legend. His writing inspired me in so many ways and his Hammer's Slammers stories brought me into literary adulthood; they really bring home how tame and sedate most supposedly adult and gritty military SF is in contrast.

As a former interrogator with the 11th ACR in Vietnam, Drake brought a weight and gravitas to his writing that few even approach.

He had this *tic* in his writing, where his characters say "I don't guess" instead of "I don't know". It used to annoy me, but I figured it was a product of where he grew up and how he learned to speak and think and it's grown on me over the years.

One of my favourite BT what-ifs is what if David Drake had written some of the novels in the BTU? Oh, what depth and grounding he could have brought to the canon of fiction here.

But what I'll be forever grateful to David Drake for is that his writing helped me personally get over my own childish distaste for homosexuals through the way he wrote such characters in his various works. To that point, I only saw gay men portrayed as shallow purse-puppies, devoid of any character flaws. They were grating, but also boring. As an autistic person, this new-fangled idea of "Gay-coding" went totally over my head, i'd never have got it. But Drake showed me gay characters with a depth of character I'd never seen before. Real people who could have flaws and even be legitimately feared for the prowess of their character, rather than silly caricatures or untrustworthy fops.

And now I'll never again have the pleasure of another Drake story. This touches me in a way that the deaths of famous people rarely do. One of my greatest joys in plumbing used book stores was to find an anthology with a previously unknown Drake story in it. Those experiences must be all but gone for me now and there will be no more new ones.

Sad, so sad.

I hope only that the man can finally rest and find relief from the last of his demons.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2023, 17:41:04 »
NNNOOO!

Darn, darn, darn.  I used to haunt the Baen books website waiting for book previews and chapters, then the local bookstore during the release month for my prizes.  His books were treasured,  and are still on my shelves where many of his fellow authors had to go to give space for other authors.

I think it's the Roman legionnaires as slaves fighting for trade deals that's my favorite story.  I shall reread with pop and chips as I did as a teenager in his honor.

Rest in peace, and thanks for everything.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 13 December 2023, 21:16:12 »
Glad to see more responses here!  Still hoping F16 will weigh in...

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2023, 22:09:20 »
whelp.. Fecal Matter. :(

First we lost Eric Flint,  now David Drake.
These legendary authors who created the heros of my youth ... gone.
... and so many more of those Baby Boomer legends are getting to that age.  :(

another Legend has joined the crew of the TANSTAAFL.

!BLACKHORSE!

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2023, 08:38:33 »
Heavy hit.  What loss
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2024, 21:50:42 »
I absolutely loved his writing, particularly his RCN series.

For me he is up there high in the ratings of science fiction authors like Piper, Heinlein and Pournelle.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2024, 23:17:54 »
One funny thing is that he did write one book for Steve Jackson games in the 90s. It was for their cars wars game of all things. It did not quite get the rules right, but the action of the setting was very cool for a read.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2024, 23:37:24 »
One funny thing is that he did write one book for Steve Jackson games in the 90s. It was for their cars wars game of all things. It did not quite get the rules right, but the action of the setting was very cool for a read.
palladium books i think?
shame what happened to publisher they had some fun rpg books
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2024, 23:30:59 »
whelp.. Fecal Matter. :(

First we lost Eric Flint,  now David Drake.
These legendary authors who created the heros of my youth ... gone.
... and so many more of those Baby Boomer legends are getting to that age.  :(

another Legend has joined the crew of the TANSTAAFL.

!BLACKHORSE!

I tried to look that reference up, but all I found the RA Heinlein story, "The moon is a harsh mistress", which references the idea of TANSTAAFL, but not a ship that I could tell?

Given, I just used google.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2024, 20:35:34 »
the TANSTAAFL is a legendary ship crewed by the greatest sci-fi/fantasy writers and captained by Heinlein himself.
its basically "the rainbow bridge" trope of Hall of Fame authors.
I've only read of it once in an Anthology dedication to past writers and once heard it discussed during a panel at a Convention.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2024, 21:07:41 »
the TANSTAAFL is a legendary ship crewed by the greatest sci-fi/fantasy writers and captained by Heinlein himself.
its basically "the rainbow bridge" trope of Hall of Fame authors.
I've only read of it once in an Anthology dedication to past writers and once heard it discussed during a panel at a Convention.

I suspected as much!

Wow! That is really cool! Do you remember the anthology? I may have it.

A.E. Housman

Grognard

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 29 February 2024, 22:03:51 »
aaaah... I can't recall.  sorry.
Hardback.  Years Best Science Fiction? ...2003 or 2006?
But I read ALOT of sci-fi and anthologies are a favorite.
Last I recall seeing mention was when Jim Baen passed away.
... as an editor and publisher, the Captain and crew were going to have Baen scrubbing the head...

sorry.  I'm a lousy source.  I blame cheap mad cow burgers from the 80s.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #22 on: 01 March 2024, 10:50:23 »
aaaah... I can't recall.  sorry.
Hardback.  Years Best Science Fiction? ...2003 or 2006?
But I read ALOT of sci-fi and anthologies are a favorite.
Last I recall seeing mention was when Jim Baen passed away.
... as an editor and publisher, the Captain and crew were going to have Baen scrubbing the head...

sorry.  I'm a lousy source.  I blame cheap mad cow burgers from the 80s.

It's okay!

And a fine and noble tribute to both men. Drake and Jim Baen were great friends and Drake's own commentaries on Jim's passing were very touching. I learned a lot about human interaction from his writings.

A.E. Housman

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #23 on: 03 March 2024, 13:59:18 »
RIP. He was an influence in my writing. His battle sequences were top notch.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #24 on: 06 March 2024, 22:34:54 »
This interview he did with BlackFive (there's a reference that brings me back...) is great.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn15W9GmQCEMQ_TMfTu20YKXImsyWLXAA

A.E. Housman

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #25 on: 11 March 2024, 22:26:13 »
RIP. He was an influence in my writing. His battle sequences were top notch.

I very much concur on the battle sequences.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2024, 13:02:51 »
Looking at my car wars stuff, what book was that?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"