Author Topic: SSW Issue: Critical Slot Chart - Wonky Appearance - I Know Arms Have More Than 6  (Read 3691 times)

Karack Blackstone

• Lieutenant
Hello all, I have a Solaris Skunk Werks issue.

My Java is up to date, I've tried to do what all I know how, and still, somehow, SSW is the arguably best 'Mech Maker program around, and the Arms, Head, and Center Torso all show as wrong.
The arms seem to be stuck at six (6) Critical Slots; the Head doesn't even show right, and the Center Torso doesn't even display at all.

So, how exactly do or should I attempt to remedy this issue? It's been constant since I first got the computer. There was Windows 8 on it, then it was Upgraded to Windows 10, so this may be a far more serious issue than I can easily tackle.
Does anyone know a workaround, or a way to get this fine program working in a computer environment that is quite literally something I cannot yet figure out?

I'll try to get a screenshot of what's going on if it will help.

Anyway, please advise.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
I've got similar display issues on Windows 10 - eg. in SAW, the right side doesn't display properly, and there's no way to resize the window.

Works fine on my old Win7 laptop.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the program? And updating Java?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
SSW works without issue on my Win10 machine, and will toggle between 6 and 12 critical slots for quads and bipeds successfully, though tripods are a little wonky.  I'm really not sure what's going on there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Do you have Window's zoom (or scaling or whatever it is called) in use? Using standard zoom options breaks SSW for me IIRC, but custom zoom (which i hear isn't recommended in general) doesn't.
Not 100% sure on this though, been a long time since i had problems.

SSW works without issue on my Win10 machine, and will toggle between 6 and 12 critical slots for quads and bipeds successfully, though tripods are a little wonky.  I'm really not sure what's going on there.
Pretty sure the tripods aren't done in SSW, it doesn't do calculations correctly and the critical slots break things. Use MML for tripods.

dgorsman

• Captain
Display scaling on a 4K/UHD monitor is my guess as well.  I've seen this with multiple programs which were never designed with such a high resolution combined with high scaling values.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Do you have Window's zoom (or scaling or whatever it is called) in use? Using standard zoom options breaks SSW for me IIRC, but custom zoom (which i hear isn't recommended in general) doesn't.
Not 100% sure on this though, been a long time since i had problems.

How would one check this? I did Properties on the SAW object, for example, but couldn't see any display settings.

For the record, Win10, latest Java (just updated), and still get problems in SAW:

1) front screen, won't expand to show the left hand edge
2) Armour screen, won't display the rear armour box

There's no way to drag & expand the screen, and maximise is greyed out.

Thanks in advance,

W.

« Last Edit: 11 March 2019, 04:57:18 by worktroll »
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
...snip...

High DPI monitors really give old java programs issues. We've got issue in the MegaMek programs, but I've had some success improving things with some of the solutions listed in this thread.

https://superuser.com/questions/988379/how-do-i-run-java-apps-upscaled-on-a-high-dpi-display

It's tricky and your success will vary.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I can't resize SAW either, but everything fits just fine so I don't need to.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
I tried the "override DPI" on all my copies of java.exe & javaw.exe ... no luck.

W.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
If you click on 'tools', then go to preferences, then click on the 'program' tab, there is an option to change the program screen size. It requires a restart of SSW.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Alas ...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That's odd... I have the same version of SAW you do, but Basic Setup and Armor are separate tabs for me.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
That's what happens when you change the screen size, as per Snake Eye's post. I changed it back ;)

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
Very weird, i'm running SSW on my window 10 laptop and i'm not getting that bug  ???

dgorsman

• Captain
4K monitor?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Register