Author Topic: Wolf v. Dragon Game 2  (Read 3099 times)

Freak

• Sergeant
Wolf v. Dragon Game 2
« on: 22 March 2011, 08:54:41 »
Operational Order -23rd April 3028

Elements of Beta Regiment to conduct recon in force of Hamar Valley. Locate any enemy forces and return with scans of main body if possible and/or enemy captives for intelligence. Engage if necessary to complete mission but preserve own forces were possible.

The Wolf Dragoons mechs raised clouds of snow as they pelted towards the mountain range. Every mech left  welts in the white landscape as they went.

Victor Maclane' Griffin moved towards the higher ground his companions skirted around. His mechs sensors passed intel on to the rest of the unit allowing them to see what he was seeing. There was a collection of at least five Dracs sitting at the highest point of the mountain.  There where probably more just out of view.

The radio squawked " Watch yourselves lads. We've an iced river here. I just about made it across." reported Paul Orville as his Locust slid across the frozen river. Hickeys Commando followed suit.

"Take it slow and Steady Dvirovitch. Don't want you going under." Clive Tanner ordered.

As Ivans Wolverine reached the treeline  he retorted. "No worries Boss. Sure Jessie will tiptoe over to them Dracs."

Closing with the river Victor could only watch as some of the enemy fired on Hickeys commando. He triggered his jumpjets as he came to the iced edge throwing the fifty five ton beast into the sky and out past the river. He landed noting only Tanners Centurion hadn't made it across.

"Contact!"

Twopine called out, as she broke her Pheonix Hawk into a dead run away from the Ryuken Jenner and Pheonix Hawk that came bounding down off the mountain.

Let them come! Victor thought as he lined up the Wolverine trying to harm his mates Locust.  The blue blot of the PPC tore into the mechs legs while the missiles peppered the arms.  The heat spiked for a few seconds as the mech tried to dissipate it.  His own warning screens flashed as the enemy Jenner pegged him with some laser blasts.

"Someone swat this gnat for me!" 

He uttered as he pushed the Griffin into a run and waited for the weapons to recycle so as he keep the Wolverine in his sights as it attempted to flee back up the mountain. More fire joined his PPC as chunks of the enemy mech fell away.He saw the Ryuken Pixie take a pounding including Tanners cannon to the head. In an impressive feat the Mech remained upright.
Victor had to respect that even if he did not like the fact. The lad managed to run behind Tanner in an attempt to get some revenge on him.

Triggering his jets, the mech again took flight. "I got your back Tanner!"  The mech fell short as a jump jet cut out. Bloody Jenner must have fragged it.  He landed on the wrong side of the Pixie. And was just in time to see Ivans Wolverine turn back and take the head off it.
Coming over the comm chatter came Tanners slow bass "Rather you than me mate!" Victor turned his mech to face the still fleeing Wolverine. His missiles unloaded in time to hear Twopine bitch out Orville.

"Get out of the Bloody Woods. If you don't get that Locust moving you're walking back to camp"
The missiles hit the target and the torso became a ball of fire as the ammo detonated inside the mech.
"That's two for those of you keeping track."
"Can it Ivan!" ordered Twopine. "Get your ass up there and support Tyler instead of keeping count."
"Rest of you form up on me and we'll try draw them off Tyler."
The Griffin groaned as he ran it to the front of the mountain. Cursing the lost jet that meant he could not sail onto the hillside as he navigated the woods. He chose to take a pot shot at the Panthers raining fire from the top of the mountain. He missed but Captain Twopines lasers all pegged the PPC arm. He doubted that sparking was a good thing.

He kicked in his jets again aiming for the tree coverage towards the edge. Tylers Jenner went whizzing past him.

"Where you going Tyler?" he asked.
"Outa here mate. They're a lot bigger than me. And my poor Wing can't dish out the damage like I could."  Jenny told him as he noticed her one of her arms was missing. "Shouldn't poke the big boys little lady."
The trees around him exploded as enemy fire went wide.
As Carps Wolverine came back into view Twopine announced. "Bug out people.! Jobs done. There's too much support here to break through."
His jets fired again and he flew backwards while lobbing missiles at the Trebuchet that had holes all over it. His whole body jolted as he hit the ground. Or maybe that was the missiles that just bounced off his canopy.

"Making a run for it. Can you guys cover me till I get back across the ice?" Tanner asked as his Centurion left the safety of the woods.
"Rest of Striker cover him. Everyone else regroup far side of the river."

A host of affirmations met Twopines orders.

Victor leapt his mech off the mountain. He held off on his fire to allow the mech systems to cool. He smiled as Carps Wolverine Kicked the foot off the Jenner sending it crashing into the trees around it.

His enjoyment was shot down as Twopines scream broke over the Comm line.

"TANNER!"

On his sensor screen the triangle that represented Tanners Centurion vanished over the riverbed. The ice that they crossed minutes before had not been able to support the mechs return journey. The ice gave way plunging the Centurion into the icey water below.

"Turner, sound off!" Twopine frantically ordered.

"He'll be fine boss. Take more than to stop Em."Orville Offered.

"He's got holes that you could run your Locust through in his chest. His reactor has to have breached. Get over there and check on him Orville."

"Roger."

Victor kept his focus on the Ryuken mechs who had begun to file down the hillside firing as they moved. A well placed volley of fire into the Trebuchet took its torso off and make its pilot reconsider its decision to keep pushing down the mountain.

"Tanners okay. He's made it out. Not sure how long he'll last in the cold though. My leg is open. I can't get him."

"Who can?"

A moment passed as the Dragoons checked their mechs status.

Vic's torso was badly mauled but his legs and arms were okay.

"I'll get him. Let him know Paul." He ran Thor towards the River." Cover my ass guys."

The Dragoons spread fire across all the incoming Dracs. The Dragoons pushed their heat curves in an effort to keep the Dracs from pushing forward or focusing upon Victor.

He could see Tanner struggling in amongst the ice. Victor slowly made his way into the water.  Lowering the hand he let Tanner climb onto it. The hand cupped as he asked "You fit for a Jump Buddy?"  He got a Thumbs up before Tanner griped the hand for dear life. He covered it with his other hand. He was as gentle as he could with a fifty five ton mechs hand.

"We're outa here Guys."  And the mech rose the plasma coming form the jets melting more ice and raised a could of steam as he rose up and over the trees. It landed with a deafing thud. He worried about poor Tanner who was encased in a metal womb. Separating his hands he was revealed to see Tanner a little cold but alive. Orvilles Locust appeared beside him and the hatch popped. He lowered the hand down. And Tanner vanished inside the mech.

"Got 'im boss. He's fine but dripping all over my upholstery."

"Good work people. Maximum speed. We are done here."
The only guarantee in life is that it ends.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Re: Wolf v. Dragon Game 2
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2011, 10:01:33 »
This was a fun ass game.

The Ice gave us a great many "Crap" moments as we moved across it.

When the Centurion went down. Those of us on the Dragoon side where determined to save his ass. We'd done so well till that moment. Harassing and hurting the enemy. Okay we needed some major repairs. But we'd done a good job of not dieing till that bloody ice broke.

A fun game. The map was easy enough to build.
Not a perfect replica but it definitely captures the spirit of the large mountain and the river.

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2011, 22:14:41 »
That did look like a fun fight.  I'm jealous of your heroscape terrain amount.  I have some but not near enough to put that map together.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2011, 03:06:16 »
That did look like a fun fight.  I'm jealous of your heroscape terrain amount.  I have some but not near enough to put that map together.
It was.  Don't be. I went on a massive Buying spree on it. Abusing Lorcans Ebay and various other sources. As well as my own pocket. We currently fill a Locker and a box worth with it at our LGS. And I think "I" am done with this particular sickness. Except I know if I see  a cheap set that I'll pic it up.

It's definitely worth it if you have the time to assemble the maps before the game.

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2011, 13:57:28 »
Agreed.

I am looking at trying to get a big lexan sheet of the same size hexes to that I can just that as the base and just build up from there.

Valour

• Recruit
  • Let go or be dragged...
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2011, 09:40:13 »
Great job with the battle report and the pictures. I really like the 3D terrain, and wish I had as much of the heroscape terrain as you. Are they still makingi t?

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2011, 16:42:51 »
The last set they made was a D&D expansion.
It didn't have a large amount of terrain in it.

the main set is still the best deal for amounts in it.