Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Spartan SPT-N*  (Read 23501 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
Re: Mech of the Week: Spartan SPT-N*
« Reply #30 on: 22 March 2018, 10:25:45 »

As for the Spartan... honestly, I should love this thing. I love fast heavies, and this is just a heavier fast heavy, right? But... man, everywhere I look I see problems. MPLs are accurate, but the range blows- standard mediums would be a huge improvements.

The mpls lousy range also eats most of the the accuracy.  From 1 to 6 hexes, the pulse is only more accurate than its standard cousin at 1, 2, and 4 hexes.  At 3, 5, and 6, the range mods are the same. If you work the comparison from the mlas side, it gets worse because the +4 mod at 7-9 hexes is kinda harsh for the mlas, but the coresponding +infinite mod for the pulse is a wee bit worse.

@JadeHellbringer:
          Fair points. The Spartan shows signs of being a rush job, as it largely lacks advanced construction materials. The -NF variant seems to acknowledge the problem of exposed ammo bins, but removing the TAG to do it...  :(

As far the MPLs and their short range: A great post-Jihad update would be to upgrade them to X-Pulse lasers. For the existing models, the mech's speed and armor allows you to get close enough. My only real gripe is that an 80 ton mech relies principally on only 3 MPLs and 2 SRM-2 Streak launchers as its main armament  :-\ Lose some of that generous ammunition and/or mount ferro-fibrous armor in order to add more MPLs or Streak launchers
So we have an 80 tonner, swap 3 mplas for 6 mlas, swap a pair of streak 2's for say a srm 6.  Factor in the PPC...  Why is this staring to sound familiar?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #31 on: 22 March 2018, 10:29:46 »
The mpls lousy range also eats most of the the accuracy.  From 1 to 6 hexes, the pulse is only more accurate than its standard cousin at 1, 2, and 4 hexes.  At 3, 5, and 6, the range mods are the same. If you work the comparison from the mlas side, it gets worse because the +4 mod at 7-9 hexes is kinda harsh for the mlas, but the coresponding +infinite mod for the pulse is a wee bit worse.

To be fair, the MPL does a bit more damage.
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #32 on: 22 March 2018, 10:43:57 »
Well, to be fair the 2 SSRM2 and 2 ammo bins were about using the infernoes to light infantry and vehicles on fire.  It would have been nice to get a LoT entry for one putting FF armor on it and replacing the SSRMs with 4 SRM2s & 2t ammo for burning things up again w/CASE.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #33 on: 22 March 2018, 10:46:38 »
So we have an 80 tonner, swap 3 mplas for 6 mlas, swap a pair of streak 2's for say a srm 6.  Factor in the PPC...  Why is this staring to sound familiar?

Yeah, yeah, we've all used Yeomans before, we get it.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

lucho

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 22 March 2018, 11:03:08 »
Well, to be fair the 2 SSRM2 and 2 ammo bins were about using the infernoes to light infantry and vehicles on fire.  It would have been nice to get a LoT entry for one putting FF armor on it and replacing the SSRMs with 4 SRM2s & 2t ammo for burning things up again w/CASE.

There's nothing mentioned about the writer's intentions; at the time Streaks only came in 2-packs. The accuracy / ammunition efficiency  is, in general, more useful than infernoes. But at the time we were fortunate that we could have it both ways  :)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #35 on: 22 March 2018, 11:06:01 »

Would you like to know more?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #36 on: 22 March 2018, 11:24:57 »
There's nothing mentioned about the writer's intentions; at the time Streaks only came in 2-packs. The accuracy / ammunition efficiency  is, in general, more useful than infernoes. But at the time we were fortunate that we could have it both ways  :)

Um?  Streak 6s came out with the Clan mechs, pretty sure 4s did too.  While the SL may have only had SSRM2s at that point, the BT timeline nailing that down came out much later than the mech did in IRL timeline.  Your opinion is that Streak is more useful than infernoes, but not everyone agrees- especially when you play a combined arms environment.  Additionally, the argument would have merit when discussing a single ton of ammo- two with so few launchers is a pretty clear indication the designer had alternate ammo in mind.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

lucho

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 22 March 2018, 11:54:26 »
Yes, it's just my opinion that the accuracy/ammo efficiency is more useful than infernoes. What I meant about the writer's intentions is that we don't know what the designer was thinking. Did he even know that Streak-2s could load infernoes at the time? Many people didn't; maybe he just had the habit of loading one ton of ammo for every launcher. Until the designer chimes in (is that even possible at this point? ), let's not make too many assumptions

FWIW, I like the accuracy of the Streaks, but a variant designed specifically for infernoes and perhaps a flamer or two would awesome. Infernoes, flamers, and TAG for dealing with Periphery scum  >:D :thumbsup:

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 22 March 2018, 15:20:31 »
??? Not where I was going...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #39 on: 22 March 2018, 15:42:55 »
??? Not where I was going...

I know, I was trying to think of the Mech least like the BLR you were getting at in terms of looks/stats for humor's sake. Sorry!

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #40 on: 22 March 2018, 15:47:53 »
Your humor did not penetrate the internet barrier.

So we have talked about it, but does anyone use it regularly in any flavor?  Does anyone have the mini (if one exists)?
Colt Ward

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #41 on: 22 March 2018, 15:58:20 »
Your humor did not penetrate the internet barrier.

So we have talked about it, but does anyone use it regularly in any flavor?  Does anyone have the mini (if one exists)?

Used one once in a grinder (where it died promptly to a through-armor ammo crit because have you met me?).

Mini isn't a great one, honestly- got one in a Christmas exchange a few years ago from Redshirt, who painted it well in olive-drab and black with a gold canopy, like the Halo Master Chief in my earlier post. (Spartan, HAH!)- it's not a well-detailed mini, nor is it in a particularly interesting pose. Unfortunately, hardly unique problems from the 3058 era of Mechs- several from that time suffer the same problems (Night Gyr, Thunder Hawk, Emperor, etc.)

It could really use a resculpt, but with it being as rare as it is both in-universe and in player-designed forces, I doubt it would sell well enough to really be worth the effort- it's money and time better-suited to one of the designs I mentioned above instead (Gyr in particular).

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #42 on: 22 March 2018, 16:02:54 »
The mini is...chunky is really the word that comes to mind.

If you can pair it with Arrow IV or tube artillery with Copperheads, it's great since it's a really durable TAG unit.  Without that, it's unimpressive.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

lucho

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 22 March 2018, 17:23:09 »
Same here: it needs to be paired with Arrow IV for best effect. Otherwise it's a great skirmisher, but needs more firepower. I ran a modified Spartan in a campaign once; it's a great choice to mount a Snub-nosed PPC

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 22 March 2018, 19:07:10 »

We don't have the mini, but my players do count a Spartan NF in their merc unit, leading a heavy cavalry lance (which also includes an Excalibur B2b, both mechs were taken from Word of Blake, and a pair of....Dragon's I think). They like to use this lance and some supporting units in a "thunder run" style romp through a urban map.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #45 on: 23 March 2018, 07:44:46 »
Same here: it needs to be paired with Arrow IV for best effect. Otherwise it's a great skirmisher, but needs more firepower. I ran a modified Spartan in a campaign once; it's a great choice to mount a Snub-nosed PPC

Oooooh. OOOOOOH. I like this idea. Might have to tinker with a Jihad-era version with a plasma rifle, drop an MPL for the ammo, switch the remaining two to ER mediums...

...yeah, my morning productivity just tanked.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 23 March 2018, 12:27:09 »
The mini is...chunky is really the word that comes to mind.

If you can pair it with Arrow IV or tube artillery with Copperheads, it's great since it's a really durable TAG unit.  Without that, it's unimpressive.

It has giant feet and tiny arms. I have it and currently looking for arms to swap

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #47 on: 04 August 2020, 14:54:27 »
During the Golden Century the Fire Mandrills were using refurbished Spartans to a C model- at least until they got Omnis tech.  A large pulse and SSRM4 w/2t ammo in each side toros along with  2 MPL in each arm gives it a fearsome load as it uses its speed to rush into combat.  But when in combat, you cannot just mash the fire button- it only has 14 DHS.  The way it works each side torso has a 1 in 6 chance of going boom! as all the crits that matter are in the upper, the ES & FF are roll again.
Colt Ward

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 08 August 2020, 18:28:46 »
During the Golden Century the Fire Mandrills were using refurbished Spartans to a C model- at least until they got Omnis tech.  A large pulse and SSRM4 w/2t ammo in each side toros along with  2 MPL in each arm gives it a fearsome load as it uses its speed to rush into combat.  But when in combat, you cannot just mash the fire button- it only has 14 DHS.  The way it works each side torso has a 1 in 6 chance of going boom! as all the crits that matter are in the upper, the ES & FF are roll again.

Ha! That sounds like an excellent mandrill ride. Thanks for the idea

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #49 on: 08 August 2020, 19:47:14 »
5/8 with 2 cLPL?  I mean what is not to like at that point.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 08 August 2020, 19:59:35 »
Two tons of streak SRM ammo in side torsos with XL Engines and a lack of crit-packing.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #51 on: 08 August 2020, 22:25:27 »
Well, it has to have a weakness . . . and it is a Clan XL along with Clan IS which means CASE . . . so a 1 in 6 chance of blowing a side.  Personally, I would not have given it two tons of ammo- 12.5 shots would typically be enough- but again planned weakness.
Colt Ward

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 10 August 2020, 10:43:42 »
That could be neat, but I'm actually going to go against my grain and lean away from swapping in a snubbie. It's quick and fairly bricky but it doesn't have the armor, speed or firepower that I would want if I was planning to spend most of my day up close and personal with top end heavies and smaller assaults.

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 11 August 2020, 18:33:22 »
Really love the Spartan,

I like how it is such a unique design and seems original. The weapons are reminiscent of a Battlemaster but with a little more flair, and the "scout assault" concept has always intrigued me as a primarily Lyran player, ;)

I always thought it was a total shame the fluff states that so few existed the design is begging for a Succession Wars tech downgrade. Any game I've ever used one in the thing just preformed, I like 5/8 cavalry designs and this mech fits the bill. I definitely see it as a command mech for 5/8 medium / heavy companies.

What are the odds of seeing one on the battlefield in each era? Would it be totally unreasonable to have a downgraded variant circa 3000-3025?
For The Archon!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #54 on: 11 August 2020, 21:14:15 »
The design was really rare outside of the Star League.  None of the Successor States ever had any in great numbers, and a downgrade would be possible but not really worth it since you'd have to drop it to 4/6 in order to maintain any sort of weapons or armor at all.  I mean, sure, you can do that but at that point you're really closer to being a Zeus variant.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 14 August 2020, 17:58:53 »
It occurs to me that the Spartan would be a fun Gunslinger ride.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #56 on: 15 August 2020, 22:31:30 »
Really love the Spartan,

I like how it is such a unique design and seems original. The weapons are reminiscent of a Battlemaster but with a little more flair, and the "scout assault" concept has always intrigued me as a primarily Lyran player, ;)

The Spartan is essentially the Charger done right.  Replace one of the Streaks with a Beagle Probe and you've got your scout assault.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 18 August 2020, 09:12:44 »
The Spartan is essentially the Charger done right.  Replace one of the Streaks with a Beagle Probe and you've got your scout assault.

cheers,

Gabe
That's kinda brilliant...

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 19 August 2020, 05:12:23 »
To be a charger, it just isn't meme enough.
Though that's also my thought for any heavy+, fast mech with decent armour.  ;D
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 19 August 2020, 10:13:21 »
To be a charger, it just isn't meme enough.
Though that's also my thought for any heavy+, fast mech with decent armour.  ;D
It may not be quite as meme-tastic as a Charger, but with this bit of context I can better see where it fits in the order of battle. Until now, I always saw it as a fast, variation of the Battlemaster.  Not a variant but think Enforcer/Enfield.  It starts to make a lot more as something attached to medium companies, maybe even a light company. 5/8 won't keep pace with a scout lance or company moving at scouting speeds but it can serve as an anchor for such formations. The 2 light lances move in a bounding overwatch, but never moving so far ahead that if they run into trouble, the Spartan's lance can't sprint forward as they sprint rearward.  Or move up, establish a perimeter, and place the Spartan's lance as hidden units.  Move the 2 scout lances up, and if they find trouble, fall back to the Spartan's position. 

Register