Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless  (Read 176912 times)

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Re: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless
« Reply #1200 on: 13 February 2019, 20:26:00 »
One hell of an intrepid little voyager, and...well, maybe once we get to Mars, we can bring the little guy back for proper enshrinement.  A monument to science & exploration as well as fantastic engineering.

Better to create a monument in-place, so that the future Martian colonists can enjoy it...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1201 on: 13 February 2019, 20:52:14 »
Better to create a monument in-place, so that the future Martian colonists can enjoy it...

Damon.
Good idea, but the martian colonists will have some several other probes, including the Viking landers.  They can share Curiosity with us earth-bound lames.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1202 on: 14 February 2019, 13:01:49 »

Damon.
Some of the possible ways to terraforming Mars would wreck its surface, so moving it somewhere else isn't a bad thing.   
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1203 on: 14 February 2019, 14:56:46 »
Mars already has weather. And there's plenty of evidence for aeolian erosion - wind-driven dust.

I strongly support creation (and staffing) of a Museum of Mars, on Mars, where artifacts such as Opportunity can be preserved.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1204 on: 15 February 2019, 07:41:34 »
From tumblr user stickmanbrandon.  The song in question was the end of Billie Holiday's "I'll Be Seeing You."

I'll find you in the morning sun
And when the night is new
I'll be looking at the moon
But I'll be seeing you

I'm not crying it's just raining on my face.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1205 on: 15 February 2019, 07:46:26 »
Since we don't have a like button.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #1206 on: 15 February 2019, 10:41:23 »
Can't wait until we can recover it and study the damage it's suffered to better plan how to build things for mars long-term, myself! stay solid little rover, your work's not done quite yet.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1207 on: 25 February 2019, 14:29:30 »
Couple things have happened over the last couple days.
  • The 2nd full powered flight VSS Unity, the Virgin Galactic spaceplane.  They also were carrying third person, who chief training officer for the Astronauts. I do suspect those will be the passengers.  Glad their still going. i do hope some day they manage to make suborbital flight possible for passenger services vs their current mission of weightlessness.  I think its going to be more realistic than SpaceX's plan to use their Starship rocket to do ballistic powered flight. I think it maybe too much for certain people.
  • Beresheets Moon lander is on it's way to the moon.  Its interesting this is a privately funded space effort, not governmental trip to the moon. Seven week journey, due land in April.
  • New pictures of Ultma Thule came out, man their beauties.  The picture show, you can see signs of the pancake flatness of the body.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1208 on: 03 March 2019, 15:07:07 »
SpaceX Crew Dragon successfully docked to ISS big question is can it and dummy passenger Ripley survive reentry
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1209 on: 03 March 2019, 15:17:46 »
Other than new grafix and a flatter ascent, it sure seemed pretty "normal" didn't it?

Also, docking made me feel lots of warm fuzzy Kerbal feelings.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1210 on: 03 March 2019, 17:04:25 »
I only hope to god someone put a plushie chestburster in there with Ripley.

https://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-Alien-Chestburster-Plush-Toy/dp/B004QDQASS

Yes they're real.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1211 on: 03 March 2019, 17:54:24 »
Ha!  I agree.  At least that if not a dancing singing one from Spaceballs.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1212 on: 03 March 2019, 18:31:40 »
Other than new grafix and a flatter ascent, it sure seemed pretty "normal" didn't it?

Also, docking made me feel lots of warm fuzzy Kerbal feelings.

The one thing I think that is bothering them is SpaceX hasn't really done much re-entries they let their freighters burn up when coming back down since there full of rubbish anyway the Crew Dragon needs to survive reentry and be reusable if there to get their wish of cheaper space flight

Given there record with booster landings I've little doubt they'll get it but on first run? That'd be something
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1213 on: 03 March 2019, 18:55:43 »
The one thing I think that is bothering them is SpaceX hasn't really done much re-entries they let their freighters burn up when coming back down since there full of rubbish anyway the Crew Dragon needs to survive reentry and be reusable if there to get their wish of cheaper space flight

Given there record with booster landings I've little doubt they'll get it but on first run? That'd be something

They do bring them back on splashdown regularly, I believe. They have to bring back experiments and for sure they have the first Dragon 1 hanging from Hawthorne mission control.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1214 on: 03 March 2019, 19:45:27 »
Not only do they bring back the cargo Dragon, they've been relaunching them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Dragon#Reuse_of_previously-flown_capsules

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1215 on: 03 March 2019, 19:59:09 »
Not only do they bring back the cargo Dragon, they've been relaunching them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Dragon#Reuse_of_previously-flown_capsules

I though they let then burn my mistake maybe early ones I'm guessing NASA has tighter restrictions on human capsules I know I read that it a got an additional parachute to slow descent

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1216 on: 03 March 2019, 21:35:37 »
The big deal is that dragon 2 has a different aerodynamic shape that hasn't flown in reentry yet. The amount of lift the capsule generates will be different and the stability will be different. That's why its arguably biggest test is yet to come.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #1217 on: 04 March 2019, 03:30:49 »
The next launch is a launch escape test right?
I seem to remember hearing they want to actually blow up the rocket.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1218 on: 04 March 2019, 12:33:05 »
Pad Abort Test is only a Go if the capsule doesn't burn up - they want to reuse the same capsule to save money.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2019, 12:37:32 by kato »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1219 on: 04 March 2019, 12:46:23 »
Every time I hear capsule, I recall that Von Braun scene from the Right Stuff:

"A pod"

Johnson: "A pot??"

"A pod... a kepsool. We would be in full control of zees pod. It veel go up like a cannonball and come down, er, like a cannonball but vis a parachute to spare the spaceman inside."

Johnson: "Spess-ee-men?"

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1220 on: 04 March 2019, 16:43:37 »
The next launch is a launch escape test right?
I seem to remember hearing they want to actually blow up the rocket.

The next Crew Dragon launch is the launch escape test in...June, I think.  I've heard everything from they're going to blow up the rocket to it will come apart due to aerodynamic loads after Dragon separates.  It'll be a good show to watch no matter what happens.

The next SpaceX launch from Florida is supposed to be the 2nd Falcon Heavy launch.  It will be interesting to see how fast they can get pad 39A turned around for that, plus get the drone ship in, unloaded, refurbished (if need be) and back out to the landing area if they're planning on trying to recover the core this time.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1221 on: 05 March 2019, 07:37:57 »
With the Falcon heavy scheduled this month, i do hope it does get it's central rocket to behave after re-entry. Two of it's motors failing to reignite was bad.  Their suppose to re-use the same set of stage one rockets and the central rocket for April mission.  Which is going be i think quick turn around time.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1222 on: 05 March 2019, 20:02:02 »
I just saw that the next Falcon Heavy launch with the Arabsat payload has been pushed back to April.  I'm betting that the 3rd Falcon Heavy launch for the Air Force will get pushed back, too. 

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #1223 on: 05 March 2019, 20:17:58 »
I just saw Apollo 11 on IMAX and highly recommend it if you can catch it. Don't be afraid to sell a kidney to see it in IMAX, it's worth: an hour and a half of entirely remastered, 1960s-era NASA footage, some of it never out of the archives before, and contemporary news reels. There's very little narration. It's all told by the original recordings of launch control, astronauts, and a few newspaper/TV voice overs.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8760684/
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1224 on: 05 March 2019, 20:26:07 »
I wonder if any of it was processed at McMoons (the old repurposed Mcdonalds at NASA Ames.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1225 on: 05 March 2019, 23:27:10 »
  This photo of Neptune was taken at the Very Large Telescope in Atacama, Chile.  Adaptive optics have come a long way because this is as clear as Hubble. 

Here is the link to an article about it...  https://pressfrom.info/us/news/science-and-technology/-167143-neptune-looks-beautifully-blue-in-sharp-new-telescope-image.html
« Last Edit: 06 March 2019, 23:49:59 by rebs »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #1226 on: 06 March 2019, 14:44:19 »
That's an amazing pic. The comparison between the adaptive & non-adaptive images is striking.

Meanwhile, poor Insight finds itself between a rock and a hard place:
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47469071
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1227 on: 07 March 2019, 07:12:00 »
Seems amazing, i didn't think the world was almost Earth blue.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #1228 on: 07 March 2019, 13:58:13 »
Uranus is a lovely green.

I wish they could use the scope on some of the moons of the gas giants.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1229 on: 08 March 2019, 01:32:01 »
Uranus is a lovely green.

I wish they could use the scope on some of the moons of the gas giants.

With how the technology of ground based telescopes is advancing, that may soon be an option. 

That said, I've seen images of both Neptune and Uranus taken by Hubble.  Storm systems can be made out on their surfaces, much like in the image above of Neptune.

Register