Author Topic: Mech Model Identifying, Please?  (Read 7486 times)

MagnaMorbius

• Private
Mech Model Identifying, Please?
« on: 06 June 2018, 03:57:34 »
Hi; I need help identifying this mech, as I cannot for tge life of me place it. And even worse, I thought I was good at this! It looks a little like the Firefly from Mechwarrior 3, but not at all like Firefly in any TRO.

Help!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Mech Model Identifying, Please?
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2018, 04:23:12 »
That's the Plastech version of the Locust. It's insanely huge for a 20 ton 'Mech
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2018, 06:02:20 »
Seriously??? It's bigger than the Hunchback next to it! Catapult is bigger, but is it going to look stupid next to my Alpha Strike plastics and Ral Partha metals?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2018, 08:02:06 »
the plastech locust is a big boy. my theory is that it has a lot of open cavities that can be filled with confetti so the battle becomes more festive when it explodes

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2018, 08:42:10 »
That Cat needs a diet lol

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2018, 11:25:39 »
They say that Battlemech cockpits are cramped, uncomfortable and stiflingly hot...

Apart from the Plastech Catapult, which comes with a full suite for your relaxing pleasure...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2018, 13:51:02 »
That Cat needs a diet lol

It's in my mind to convert my two Fatapults into Stalkers at some point ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2018, 12:26:14 »
I do need some additional assistance; I bought a blind lot of Unseen(ish) at auction and think I've only got 6 of 8 in usuable condition; Riflrman just needs gluing, what I think is a Crusader (lacks definition but those ankle spikes are pretty unique), Blackjack and Marauder. In the second picture, Wasp, Griffin, what I think is part of a Thunderbolt, but seems to have only one of the correct arms (the other looks like a Rifleman's) and no on-shoulder missile pod, and the last one looks like Flashman, but again, completely the wrong arm on it. Am I right?

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2018, 12:26:46 »
Sorry, forgot to add second pic:

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2018, 12:36:15 »
1st pic
top row: rifleman, crusader
bottom row: blackjack, marauder (missing dorsal gun)

2nd pic
top row: wasp, griffin
bottom row: thunderbolt (with a rifleman left arm), flashman (pretty sure that gun is the missing dorsal gun for the marauder, not the right arm to the flashman)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2018, 13:58:03 »
Yep, the Flashman's right arm is the Mauarder's AC/5. So, Thunderbolt and Flashman aren't usuable, but 5 Unseen metal miniatures and a Blackjack isn't too bad.

On a related note, what's the best way to reattach a left-arm weapon pod on a Marauder? Superglue? Solder? Epoxy resin?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2018, 15:01:59 »
You can always order parts from IWM or another online store that can get bits. The Thunderbolt you would need to proxy the arm or find a buy and sell group if you wanted an exact match but the flashman should be no problem.

Yep, the Flashman's right arm is the Mauarder's AC/5. So, Thunderbolt and Flashman aren't usuable, but 5 Unseen metal miniatures and a Blackjack isn't too bad.

On a related note, what's the best way to reattach a left-arm weapon pod on a Marauder? Superglue? Solder? Epoxy resin?

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2018, 15:41:21 »
Just checked and I saw a finished eBay auction https://picclick.co.uk/Ral-Partha-Battletech-Thunderbolt-Bits-Arms-Spares-Battlemech-253415216931.html that would be ideal... Poo... Do IWM have spares for Unseen mechs?

Is superglue the best adhesive for assembling or repairing mechs?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2018, 16:11:34 »
Do IWM have spares for Unseen mechs?

No. If they did, they wouldn't be Unseen.

Is superglue the best adhesive for assembling or repairing mechs?

It's what I use. But fixing that poor Marauder's arm is going to be a chore; you may have to drill and pin it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2018, 21:24:43 »
is the primitive or reseen Thunderbolt sized so you could use it's arm as a replacement? could make for an interesting visual.. the old family mech repaired with new parts.

(worst case, you replace both arms. :) )

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2018, 21:57:12 »
/img]
is the primitive or reseen Thunderbolt sized so you could use it's arm as a replacement? could make for an interesting visual.. the old family mech repaired with new parts.

(worst case, you replace both arms. :) )
A newer LA replacement wouldn't be bad...
The Thunderbolt was asymectric anyway :)
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=2016&type=jpg
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2572
IWM might be able to sell another variant's arm sprue as well; try them through their Contact Us llink...
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 08 June 2018, 04:03:11 »
The only issue there is the insane cost of shipping; for the $20 they would charge the ship items to the UK on top of the $3.30 for the arms and missle pod, I could buy a replacement Unseen Thunderbolt from eBay, and they don't even have a replacement arm for Flashman. I've emailed Ral Partha (the Europe version of IWM, I believe), and I'll see what they come back with.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #17 on: 08 June 2018, 08:00:05 »

Pinning the arm is the way to go. Superglue alone won't do the job. Never worked with Epoxy resin on a mini, but i assume it wouldn't work better than superglue. But, for heavens sake, never NEVER neverever solder a pewter mini. Unless you are intended to scrap that mini at all.

MagnaMorbius

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 08 June 2018, 10:24:14 »
I don't think these are pewter, I think they're lead; they're the 1986 original mechs, I believe. Would solder melt them, or damage then in some other way?

I'm already looking at how to pin and fix the mechs, but anybody have any good suggestions?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 08 June 2018, 11:50:56 »
As an 'I wonder' I tried soldering an original-sculpt Mad Cat several years ago using a low-heat eutectic solder.

Yeah, don't do that. Like, ever. I ended up using the still-usable bits as wreckage on bases of other miniatures afterwards.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #20 on: 08 June 2018, 12:33:50 »
N/M... must've had my eyes crossed.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2018, 12:35:45 by Cache »

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 08 June 2018, 12:35:55 »
Marauder & original Behemoth elbow joints are some of the worst to work with...
While most of my MAD's have been OK, I have also had to do this with, easily, 25-30 of them. Because of how soft the old RP lead was, most of them are toast after one drop.

For Marauders:
1) Measure the length of the arm pieces.
2) File down the jointing so you have two flat surfaces.
3) Use a small diameter pilot drill into both lower and upper arms, doing your best to keep it parallel to the 'line' (through the arm).
4) Measure out a length of paperclip or other piece of steel wire; Bend at about a 100-120 deg angle in the middle, or, at the point which would reconstruct the elbow-angle.
4) Drill to a .05-.1mm greater than the diameter of the wire.
5) Check-fit the lengths to your original measurement, then trim the wire, or drill as necessary.
6) Glue, and try to preserve the previous arm-length as possible.
7) Reconstructive surgery with Green Stuff or other epoxy *PUTTY*. Pro-Tip: The MAD's have a type of slotted pattern that run parallel to the arm; Take a pair of needle-nose pliers or tweasers, and 'roll' the teeth onto the soft Green-Stuff (See pictures; Use of the tweasers-tip perpendicular to the arm will give you the correct pattern); (image of MAD "courtesy" of whomever painted it).
« Last Edit: 08 June 2018, 19:36:30 by Hythos »
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #22 on: 08 June 2018, 14:09:45 »
Do not use epoxy on your miniatures. It swells and bubbles as it cures, which is no big deal on large items where the glue joint is hidden, but looks absolutely awful on tiny miniatures. Worse yet, you're not going to get a good bond with such small surfaces, and the glue itself is likely to crack and fail.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 08 June 2018, 19:36:05 »
Do not use epoxy on your miniatures. It swells and bubbles as it cures, which is no big deal on large items where the glue joint is hidden, but looks absolutely awful on tiny miniatures. Worse yet, you're not going to get a good bond with such small surfaces, and the glue itself is likely to crack and fail.
* Green Stuff or other Epoxy putty :P
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #24 on: 08 June 2018, 20:03:55 »
* Green Stuff or other Epoxy putty :P

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 09 June 2018, 00:11:21 »

I've used Green Stuff, Tamiya and a bunch of other epoxys, including glue.

I've NEVER had it swell or bubble or ruin a mini, in fact it's been good to work with and etch panel lines into afterwards.

As per Wikipedia:
Citation needed

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #26 on: 09 June 2018, 00:25:04 »
Thirty years of experience. Green stuff may be an epoxy, sure, but I wouldn't trust it to hold two parts together, or anything load-bearing at all. Most two-part glues are fantastic at holding large parts together, but on the tiny surfaces of a miniature they tend to look like crap, especially when applied by people who don't have much experience.

So if you have a suggestion for a good epoxy glue, please share, because in thirty years of gaming I've not seen ONE that I'd recommend to a new modeller.

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #27 on: 09 June 2018, 11:20:01 »
I’ve had good success with Loctite 5 minute epoxy, the kind that comes in two separate bottles rather than the oversized syringes. I put a small drop of the resin and one of the hardener, given how small most of the pieces on the ‘Mechs are.

A notable exception was trying to reattach the arm for the newer Mad Cat sculpt. Totally didn’t have the surface area and it was too fragile to file. Looked just as bad as ColBosch says.

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 09 June 2018, 11:35:47 »
Green Stuff, and many others are nearly identical in MSDS, and are likewise described as "Epoxy Putty".
http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-tapes/kneadatite-blue-yellow.htm
http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/24-epoxy-putties
http://www.stormthecastle.com/miniatures/products-clays/procreate-putty.htm
https://www.milliput.com/

That's all I mean, you know, Epoxy Putty for filler 😆 After gluing.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #29 on: 09 June 2018, 11:41:13 »