Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition  (Read 198399 times)

abou

• Captain
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition
« Reply #90 on: 20 July 2018, 13:37:40 »
That's called stagnation.  Again, you are of course welcome to your opinion, but in my experience, players do not like the old late 80s early 90s aesthetic of some of these designs.  If they perceive something to not be 'cool' then they are less inclined to purchase or spend money on the product.  There's some value in nostalgia of course, but that doesn't open the hobby/game up to new people, it just plays off the emotional connection current players have to earlier times and memories of the game.
If presentation is the problem, then show well-painted miniatures such as what is up on CamoSpecs. What "looks cool" is very subjective. I enjoyed the MWO when they first came out, but the longer I have been with them the less I like them. Throwing out that we are attached just because of nostalgia is not an accurate critique.

There's also been shouts of "No licenses, Microsoft, contracts" every time MWO designs are brought up, by what is really known?
This board has banned the posting of MWO-derived miniatures. The property has clearly delineated PC and tabletop assets. I would say that tells us a lot.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #91 on: 20 July 2018, 13:41:48 »
That's called stagnation.  Again, you are of course welcome to your opinion, but in my experience, players do not like the old late 80s early 90s aesthetic of some of these designs.  If they perceive something to not be 'cool' then they are less inclined to purchase or spend money on the product.  There's some value in nostalgia of course, but that doesn't open the hobby/game up to new people, it just plays off the emotional connection current players have to earlier times and memories of the game.

There's also been shouts of "No licenses, Microsoft, contracts" every time MWO designs are brought up, by what is really known?  A solid business case for revisiting the deals to allow for MWO production minis might not be the worst idea in the world.  Why not investigate that avenue?  If there is a demand for it, (which would make for a neat poll) why not see if the roadblocks are as concrete as some here believe them to be?  The old sculpts from RP IWM will still exist, so what's the harm?  The tabletop game allows you to play with coins if you want, so it's not going to intrude on anyone's fun, or tell a sect of players "Your fun is wrong, nufun is the only way to go!"

Yeah. When you're selling little miniature models they need to have value. Ideally they should look good enough that someone who doesn't play BattleTech would consider buying them because they look cool and maybe they want to paint them.

If, for instance, I want to run a game at a local comic book shop or someone I haven't already sold on battletech it helps if I don't have to apologize for goofy looking Jenners. If the mechs looked better I'd have bought more lance packs. I like plastic mechs. That's me as a person who's played battletech for three decades and loving it to death admitting that I didn't buy most lance packs because the mechs don't look good enough. So why not just substitute another bad looking mech.

Some mechs like the Zeus don't have this problem. But they tend to be few and far between.

That being said the new mechs in the new box sets look fabulous. So.. that's what I want. thats what I want to spend money on.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2018, 13:44:19 by Kitsune413 »
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #92 on: 20 July 2018, 13:44:00 »
Which Kindle do you have?  B/c mine has those SBs as PDF docs.
A Black`n White Kindle.
Reading the pdfs is difficult, text could better be scaled for optimal reading.

I, for one, could not read those without the fancy art styles or illustrations. If you can, good job. I am a very visual person who likes art.
I would buy both variants, the simple as mobile variants the dead tree for home. Especially in my holidays or when I am travelling I would like to have my Battletech ready in my pocket to read ...
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 20 July 2018, 13:44:10 »
There's also been shouts of "No licenses, Microsoft, contracts" every time MWO designs are brought up, by what is really known?

Try this: CGL is not using third party art for BattleTech anymore. Everything is done in-house (or however the licensing works, either way CGL owns all rights to the art they use). Like, the unseen IICs were never part of lawsuits, but they're unseen because they're done by third party, even it was for FASA. As i understand it, CGL could use that art, but they choose not to to be on the safe side.

Since PGI shared Mechwarrior license (IIRC they had exclusive rights, not 100% about this though) and models to HBS, the idea of them being shared with IMR/CGL is not impossible in itself. But that would seemingly contradict how things are done by IMR/CGL, as the source for the art would be a third party, no matter how friendly.

This board has banned the posting of MWO-derived miniatures. The property has clearly delineated PC and tabletop assets. I would say that tells us a lot.
As i understand it, these are a special case. They're banned because while PGI might have granted rights to 3D printing MWO 'Mechs for your own use, you cannot share them.
Majority of MWO minis are most likely sold or printed by other people, not their current owners, ie they have no rights to them. A form of piracy or copyright violation.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2018, 13:48:26 by Empyrus »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #94 on: 20 July 2018, 13:47:38 »

There's also been shouts of "No licenses, Microsoft, contracts" every time MWO designs are brought up, by what is really known?  A solid business case for revisiting the deals to allow for MWO production minis might not be the worst idea in the world.  Why not investigate that avenue?  If there is a demand for it, (which would make for a neat poll) why not see if the roadblocks are as concrete as some here believe them to be?  The old sculpts from RP IWM will still exist, so what's the harm?  The tabletop game allows you to play with coins if you want, so it's not going to intrude on anyone's fun, or tell a sect of players "Your fun is wrong, nufun is the only way to go!"

What is really known?  MWO has not tried to sell merch of their mech designs in different scales, why might that be?  A business case for the MWO designs being made minis?  How about a case against- ROI . . . they have been pirated for years, just look online and you can find the images all over- either able to get the file to print your own or use a service to print them as you want.  They are so prevalent that CGL had to put up a notification about not posting images of the stolen property in the mini forum.  Add in the bit about the long term planning of keeping away from any questionable property.

I say this as someone who likes a few of the MWO designs- see the Cataphract under my name!- but the critique that they do look the same is extremely valid as coming from both the same designer and being in the same medium.  MWO uses some of the same skinning for 'detail' on the mechs, its in their business interest to re-use as much of the detail work as possible to keep each mech's individual production cost down.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #95 on: 20 July 2018, 14:00:09 »
Also I'd argue that having five times more mass than something else would make you bigger than that thing.

It depends on what it's made of.  Are all 'mechs solid metal blocks?  Density is a thing, each 'mech is different.

I'm not asking for a Locust to be the same size of an Atlas or taller.  But an Atlas shouldn't be able to use a light 'mech as an arm rest.  It looks silly and it actually throws scale off.  The picture I showed looks the best.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2018, 14:03:58 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #96 on: 20 July 2018, 14:09:22 »
It depends on what it's made of.  Are all 'mechs solid metal blocks?  Density is a thing, each 'mech is different.

I'm not asking for a Locust to be the same size of an Atlas or taller.  But an Atlas shouldn't be able to use a light 'mech as an arm rest.  It looks silly and it actually throws scale off.  The picture I showed looks the best.

Depends on what it's made out of is a good answer unless you're talking about something that's all made out of the same stuff. Like mechs.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #97 on: 20 July 2018, 14:14:52 »
Depends on what it's made out of is a good answer unless you're talking about something that's all made out of the same stuff. Like mechs.

Honestly I think you guys shouldn't put too much stock in density vs. size arguments. It leads naturally to one of the major points of Battletech unreality: the volume vs. mass of Mech descriptions yields an incredibly not-dense Mech. So light compared the required strength needed to sustain impacts and loads that I recall Cray had to come up with a lot of material handwaving to justify how light (vs. steel, titanium, standard composites, etc). He did a good job, but this is one of the points of the BT universe that's a lot more "fi" than it is "sci".
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #98 on: 20 July 2018, 14:34:02 »

If every single part in a mech was exactly the same, sure.  You can't swap a lot of equipment easily.

Honestly I think you guys shouldn't put too much stock in density vs. size arguments. It leads naturally to one of the major points of Battletech unreality: the volume vs. mass of Mech descriptions yields an incredibly not-dense Mech. So light compared the required strength needed to sustain impacts and loads that I recall Cray had to come up with a lot of material handwaving to justify how light (vs. steel, titanium, standard composites, etc). He did a good job, but this is one of the points of the BT universe that's a lot more "fi" than it is "sci".

Fair enough.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #99 on: 20 July 2018, 14:55:02 »
As i understand it, these are a special case. They're banned because while PGI might have granted rights to 3D printing MWO 'Mechs for your own use, you cannot share them.
Majority of MWO minis are most likely sold or printed by other people, not their current owners, ie they have no rights to them. A form of piracy or copyright violation.

There are also, a few....very few...corner cases where an MWO derived 3-D printed Mini can be shown. I have one of them.

It Stands about 1 foot tall, and is of the Champion Highlander Mech - HEAVY METAL

I won said 3-D Printed Mech at the MWO STEAM RELEASE PARTY back in 2015. And it was Randal Bills who drew my ticket from the Big Bowl of tickets. They had 5 or six 3D Printed models to give away.

I choose when it was my turn, the Heavy Metal.

As stated tho, this is a unique corner case as it is certainly in no way sufficient to play a Table Top Game with, and it was produced and given away by PGI themselves, so all the correct protocols are covered.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #100 on: 20 July 2018, 14:56:40 »
This board has banned the posting of MWO-derived miniatures.

Small correction - the board bans the posting of unlicenced reproductions, because they're illegal. There are no licenced MWO minis for sale, full stop, so we don't accept images - not because they're MWO, but because we don't support licence infringement. Same thing would happen if someone started selling MW4-model minis without a licence.

(Also note, PGI & HBS do not have the licence to produce minis. Their licence is for computer games only.)

If you kitbash your own MWO (or MW4) lookalike from parts, or sculpt one for personal use only (start to finish), we'd love to see them.

So it's all about supporting our fellow licence holders, and not really about MWO.

Worktroll, Ombudsman.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #101 on: 20 July 2018, 14:58:13 »
There are also, a few....very few...corner cases where an MWO derived 3-D printed Mini can be shown. I have one of them.

It Stands about 1 foot tall, and is of the Champion Highlander Mech - HEAVY METAL

I won said 3-D Printed Mech at the MWO STEAM RELEASE PARTY back in 2015. And it was Randal Bills who drew my ticket from the Big Bowl of tickets. They had 5 or six 3D Printed models to give away.

I choose when it was my turn, the Heavy Metal.

As stated tho, this is a unique corner case as it is certainly in no way sufficient to play a Table Top Game with, and it was produced and given away by PGI themselves, so all the correct protocols are covered.

Which are totally legit as promotional items. However, NeonKnight, I think you should ship it to me so I can ... check it for authenticity. Yup, check it. Might take some time. ;)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #102 on: 20 July 2018, 14:59:53 »
Which are totally legit as promotional items. However, NeonKnight, I think you should ship it to me so I can ... check it for authenticity. Yup, check it. Might take some time. ;)

W.

Sorry, I believe you've asked that before ;)

Here's a Pic of the 'mini', the Macro? I don;t know what we'd call it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #103 on: 20 July 2018, 15:57:01 »
I'm not sure what you're saying on price. Is it that $19.99 was good, or a little too high?

I have to assume that $19.99 was the "regular BT profit margin" price, while $9.99 was the "Why are these still in the warehouse!?" price.

I think that was pretty much it. The $20 price was a good start and I bought a few at that price because it was a good deal. I think the $10 was as you stated, an effort to push most of them onto the market. I picked up a lot more at that lower price as well. I have not idea why they raised the price up to $15 though. It is still a good bargain and worth the money. If they do any more lance packs I hope they keep the $20 price.

...We need to stop talking about redesigning 50+ 'mechs just because they are "showing their age". The financial investment for such a small company like CGL puts it close to the realm of at least implausible. Then you add in the cost of sculpting so many new miniatures. THEN if you want plastic the setup costs for even creating injection moldings would be insane -- not mention what that would do to your relationship with IWM...

As someone who has played BT for a very long time I have to disagree. CGL and IWM SHOULD update the images and minis for many of the older designs. As time and money permit. There are many designs that are dated and they just don't look good anymore. Some people might like the retro designs but this game will not survive on retro designs.

As for Star Wars designs... Unlike BT retro designs those in SW have aged well. Its like comparing a 69 Mustang to a 70s Gremlin. Both are old but the Gremlin... such an ugly car.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #104 on: 20 July 2018, 16:15:48 »
*looks at the new Awesome, Catapult, and Commando sculpts in the boxed set*

They look redesigned to me, and they were never Unseen. Whether or not CGL continues this trend is up to them, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a shame they can't look exactly like the video game versions, but I doubt anyone will complain if they're very very similar. Well, aside from those who prefer the old models.

As someone who has played BT for a very long time I have to disagree. CGL and IWM SHOULD update the images and minis for many of the older designs. As time and money permit. There are many designs that are dated and they just don't look good anymore. Some people might like the retro designs but this game will not survive on retro designs.

I suspect that the overwhelming majority of people who prefer the old miniatures already own hundreds of them. Besides, it's not like the old miniatures are gone - they're still very much available from IWM.

As for Star Wars designs... Unlike BT retro designs those in SW have aged well. Its like comparing a 69 Mustang to a 70s Gremlin. Both are old but the Gremlin... such an ugly car.

BattleTech and Star Wars are completely different brands. But I wouldn't hold up Star "Han Shot Second" Wars as some paragon of resisting retcons. :D I'd even say that the X-Wing has varied as much as the Atlas in its various incarnations, but like our favorite not-really-that-good Assault 'Mech, it's still recognizable.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2018, 16:37:05 by ColBosch »
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #105 on: 20 July 2018, 16:23:49 »
*looks at the new Awesome, Catapult, and Centurion sculpts in the boxed set*

Ummm....Centurion?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #106 on: 20 July 2018, 16:36:25 »
Ummm....Centurion?

Centurion, Commando, they're all just FedCom trash under my targeting reticle. :D

Edit: Fixed.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #107 on: 20 July 2018, 17:08:51 »

Agree almost 100%.  You don't even have to get rid of the retros, just bring in some modern visuals. 

And Star Wars has modified the Star Destroyer and X Wing, they change in each film.  You can tell what they are still, but they do update the model of the ships with the times.  As to Cars, same thing.  We have old cars that people love, and updated cars you can still tell are a Mustang, or a Challenger, but with newer modern designs.
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

ChaoticTabris

• Recruit
« Reply #108 on: 20 July 2018, 17:35:13 »
I'm a new player, heard of this forum and registered on this forum specifically to reply to it. I'm extremely appalled by the fact that some people would preffer the old designs over the ones on MWO. To me they are a huge turn off and i'm pretty sure they will be to most new players coming to the game nowdays. I actually dislike them so much that i'm planning to sculpt my own minis based on MWO. I also know a bunch of people that 3d print MWO stuff for the same reason. Imho updating the designs from the 80s for today, taking into account the advancements on sculpting and casting that came to be on those nearly 40 years is essential. Catalyst has been doing it when they commission new art and i really hope anybody wanting to put new miniatures does the same. I know for sure that they will be getting my money.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 20 July 2018, 17:43:39 »
Really? You're appalled that I prefer the older sculpts? That is a pretty hyperbolic response.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #110 on: 20 July 2018, 17:53:36 »
Really? You're appalled that I prefer the older sculpts? That is a pretty hyperbolic response.

Hyperbole drives this community, and has for at least the past twenty years. (Oh God, I've been part of the BattleTech online community for two decades.) It's no worse than those of us - and that definitely includes you and I - saying that Catalyst should do this, or must do that.

And given the quality of some of those old designs and sculpts, I'd tempted to use the word "appalling" as well.

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #111 on: 20 July 2018, 17:53:58 »

Apall: to fill with horror; shock or dismay

I'm a bit dismayed that even the suggestion of a visual overhaul is met by steadfast resistance.  I only go by what I have seen as a part of the CDT, at cons and game clubs, when I try and get people enthused about the game.

It's why I usually would only bring good looking 'mechs to the table (Clan or some of the newer sculpts for the IS).  Yes it's my opinion that they and MWO look better, but the anecdotal evidence I gained running games for new players, is that they are attracted to good looking stompy robots more then not so good looking ones.
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

ChaoticTabris

• Recruit
« Reply #112 on: 20 July 2018, 17:54:43 »
English is not my native language so i might be going over the top without noticing but i'm very surprised by that.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #113 on: 20 July 2018, 18:16:51 »
Nothing wrong with new sculpts and art. There are indeed a lot of kinda meh looking 'Mechs and sculpts, but in those case a lot can be corrected with new, better quality art and resculpting the 'Mechs, without redesigning the entire things.

As long as they're not MWO models or even too much much MWO-like. While animation gives them some life, as in HBS BattleTech, they still don't feel right to me, being too stiff, too much like walking tanks, not BattleTech at all.

BattleTech's roots are in Robotech and other such anime, as such humanoid robots are very much part of BT's identity, and that humanoid-part does include certain degree of freedom of movement walking tank depictions don't have.
BT does have place for more walking tank designs too, for example the Thanatos (along with variety of others). But it so from the beginning, turning existing designs to similar aesthetic is wrong.

The new art the classics got is great, and it would be nice to see more and more 'Mechs reworked for that, though not all need that treatment, naturally. The original Clan OmniMechs for example, they have extremely strong visual identity and pretty good art in TRO3050U (though i always prefer the original ortho art for some reason) (no comment on their minis, i don't own any).

abou

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 20 July 2018, 18:32:55 »
If we get stuff that looks to the same quality as the Highlander resculpt, sure, but bear this in mind:

In the fan-financing board the typical master costs $800 to have made. In some instances less; in some more. I don't know how much art and subsequent orthogonal views cost to make, but I imagine a couple of hundred dollars depending on time. If injection molding for less expensive plastic miniatures is wanted you can add several thousand dollars more on top of that.

How do you proceed with this? One at a time or in batches? All at once? Which designs?

For a company that has a history of even having difficulty paying authors, you bet such a project is at the least a stretch in my mind.

chongobongo

• Corporal
« Reply #115 on: 20 July 2018, 18:35:28 »
I think cgl and iwm are heading into the direction of new better art or better resculpts for the older core mechs. Rescuplted uziel the new hellspawn . And the gauntlet that really looks like a way better bushwalker or the stalker 2 that I'm replacing the old stalkers with . And have we not seen reimaged warhammers , marauders, and the like . We are seeing a rework of the old line it just takes some time .

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 20 July 2018, 18:36:33 »
If we get stuff that looks to the same quality as the Highlander resculpt, sure, but bear this in mind:

In the fan-financing board the typical master costs $800 to have made. In some instances less; in some more. I don't know how much art and subsequent orthogonal views cost to make, but I imagine a couple of hundred dollars depending on time. If injection molding for less expensive plastic miniatures is wanted you can add several thousand dollars more on top of that.

How do you proceed with this? One at a time or in batches? All at once? Which designs?

For a company that has a history of even having difficulty paying authors, you bet such a project is at the least a stretch in my mind.

This discussion sure sounds a lot like "we have no idea" and "we're not privy to business decisions" topped off with a big heaping helping of "no seriously it's not our problem" that is unfortunately very popular as a seasoning in these parts.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: 20 July 2018, 18:37:14 »
This discussion sure sounds a lot like "we have no idea" and "we're not privy to business decisions" topped off with a big heaping helping of "no seriously it's not our problem" that is unfortunately very popular as a seasoning in these parts.
Well... we don't have much else to talk about...

ChaoticTabris

• Recruit
« Reply #118 on: 20 July 2018, 18:42:22 »
Nothing wrong with new sculpts and art. There are indeed a lot of kinda meh looking 'Mechs and sculpts, but in those case a lot can be corrected with new, better quality art and resculpting the 'Mechs, without redesigning the entire things.

As long as they're not MWO models or even too much much MWO-like. While animation gives them some life, as in HBS BattleTech, they still don't feel right to me, being too stiff, too much like walking tanks, not BattleTech at all.

BattleTech's roots are in Robotech and other such anime, as such humanoid robots are very much part of BT's identity, and that humanoid-part does include certain degree of freedom of movement walking tank depictions don't have.
BT does have place for more walking tank designs too, for example the Thanatos (along with variety of others). But it so from the beginning, turning existing designs to similar aesthetic is wrong.

The new art the classics got is great, and it would be nice to see more and more 'Mechs reworked for that, though not all need that treatment, naturally. The original Clan OmniMechs for example, they have extremely strong visual identity and pretty good art in TRO3050U (though i always prefer the original ortho art for some reason) (no comment on their minis, i don't own any).
Personally i like some of the newer art. Technical Readout: Succession Wars has a mix of new and old stuff and the difference is huge. Mechs like that Flea, Locust and Griffin have newer art and look awesome while other mechs use really outdated illustrations. I mean... The mechs obviously don't need to be exactly like MWO to look good but i do feel the designs have to be updated and it's something that has been happening for a while but that needs to be accelerated a bit so Catalyst can still cash on the releases of HBS' Battletech and Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #119 on: 20 July 2018, 18:57:21 »
Personally i like some of the newer art. Technical Readout: Succession Wars has a mix of new and old stuff and the difference is huge. Mechs like that Flea, Locust and Griffin have newer art and look awesome while other mechs use really outdated illustrations. I mean... The mechs obviously don't need to be exactly like MWO to look good but i do feel the designs have to be updated and it's something that has been happening for a while but that needs to be accelerated a bit so Catalyst can still cash on the releases of HBS' Battletech and Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries.
Yeah, same TRO containing both new and old art really highlights some issues. Not good.
It is weird really, IMO. To me, TRO3025/3039 looks good, i like how Loose's style is very consistent. Technically, messy at times, some weird perspective, but i figure he got the early aesthetic really nailed down. Like, you got the (original unseen) Marauder and Warhammer and Thunderbolt etc. that are derived from elsewhere, and then you got Awesome and Centurion etc. and they fit right in.
But if you mix that art with anything else and it is out of place, dated. Design may be OK, but old art is problematic.

In some cases, old design clashes with more modern design. Like, Plog's art for TRO3055 is pretty good, but the designs themselves are somewhat weird at times, like the boxy Naginata, hard to fit that in anywhere. Then there are things that have good art and modern design and fit in with old good designs, like TRO3145's Gunsmith. YMMV, of course.