Author Topic: Your first "Unique" mech  (Read 17607 times)

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
Your first "Unique" mech
« on: 09 February 2014, 11:01:27 »
One of the most exciting things when buying a booster was to get a unique mech from it. My first unique was Erin Johnstons Jupiter. How about you?
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Elusive

• Recruit
Re: Your first "Unique" mech
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2014, 16:13:55 »
I'm pretty sure it was "Matchstick" Osiris.  Not very glamorous when compared to a Jupiter.  Any Jupiter.  Heck, not even as glamorous as when I pulled the CNC Vixen.  That's still my best pull ever.  That should count as a unique, right?  That makes it my first!  8)

Clan Nova Cat: If it weren't for bad fate, we'd have no fate at all.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2014, 16:18:42 »
This is really hard to remember.  Augh, I THINK it was Malisa Nova Cat and her Uller.  Or Janis Nova Cat in her Arbalest/  Either way, I used the heck out of both of them when I first started. 

Malisa even had a misprinted heat dial where she had the numbers stamped on twice right next to each other.  My friends and I would debate whether or not that meant she could Alpha Strike for 11 damage instead of 7. :)

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2014, 16:32:33 »
Derek Hasbani in his Atlas... Twice.
I got two copies of it in one of the massive packs (can remember if they were the starter or booster packs).

I was pretty chuffed when I pulled the first one out - the second was a real bonus.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2014, 16:40:34 »
Derek Hasbani in his Atlas... Twice.
I got two copies of it in one of the massive packs (can remember if they were the starter or booster packs).

I was pretty chuffed when I pulled the first one out - the second was a real bonus.
there was the Premier pack as well featuring two uniques. Pretty cool sets they had.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2014, 19:50:37 »
there was the Premier pack as well featuring two uniques. Pretty cool sets they had.

Ah, it that what it was called.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2014, 21:51:07 »
Migal V Pack Hunter

Took me some time to recall.  After him it was a few send away tournament unigues.  Then the two Merc promo pieces

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2014, 21:57:12 »
Now admittedly I only buy MW:DA minis to debase them ;) But I did get in a trade two promo items from before the game had actually been marketed - an infantry stand, and a hover APC which finally saw the light of day in TRO:3145 as the Eldingar. IIRC, they didn't actually have combat dials, and were apparently pre-promotional items. They have a place in my cabinet of curios, and will never go under the knife ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2014, 23:29:12 »
First one was the Swordsworn Panther.

...I was quite confused- I literally thought I might have a bad miniature, and the wrong figure was on the Panther base. I still think that was one of their worst sculpts.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

powercergone

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2014, 00:32:33 »
I had Ichiba Pryde and her Shrike

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2014, 21:30:37 »
First one was the Swordsworn Panther.

...I was quite confused- I literally thought I might have a bad miniature, and the wrong figure was on the Panther base. I still think that was one of their worst sculpts.

Admittedly the Panther sculpt was pretty fugly, if they had shrunk the PPC, adjusted the stance to be more straight and narrow (Though the Panther wasn't nearly as bad the Warhammer IIC, which looked like it was about to pop a squat on an invisible chair), and made the arms a little bulkier it would've been heads and shoulders better than the original Panther design.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2014, 22:29:52 »
Chuck Stepp and his Griffin. Not a bad little dial and a good sculpt; I particularly enjoyed that it was another revamp of a design I liked from the tabletop. (My first two 'Mechs were a Swordsworn Hatchetman and a Swordsworn Centurion. Funny how the game seemed to know that I wanted a bunch of new versions of old favorites for House Davion...)
« Last Edit: 23 March 2016, 23:19:18 by Wildonion »

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2014, 22:33:50 »
Kendrick Fetladral's Miffed Kitten.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2014, 00:26:38 »
Erin's Jupiter here as well, followed by Derek's Atlas from one of the premier packs
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2014, 11:17:34 »
Those premier packs were awesome, great way to build up an army quickly- you were guaranteed to get a couple of actual Battlemechs, and a ton of other stuff. The boxes were great for storage of random stuff too. I think I owned half a dozen of them at one point (all lost in apartment flooding, though their original contents survived in plastic bins).
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2014, 20:03:28 »
Went sifting through my DA bins, and found my Jupiter. Had to glue the arm back, but I remember how I reacted when I saw it. I was in awe, and noticed a relation look-wise to the Spider, and using Tundra Wolf lower chassis. Won me a couple matches. Glad to see I still have it.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2014, 08:09:01 »
Erin Johnson as well,loved that Jupiter!

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2014, 15:58:07 »
I honestly can't remember which of the first set of Dark Age uniques I got first. But I'll never forget cracking up the first case of Fire for Effect the FLGS received, buying two boxes, and pulling a Kym Nova Cat and an Angus Drummond.

powercergone

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2014, 19:31:26 »
I bought a Fire For Effect case last year from miniaturemarket.com and pulled two Angus Drummonds. I couldn't even believe it.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2014, 20:53:45 »
Score!

Brainburner

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2014, 12:46:29 »
The BR Catapult, which BBjr. got from me later that day.  O:-)

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2014, 08:14:44 »
  Janis Novacat...she won me my only torney win. My first mech was a non unique Swordsworn Spider that I used to get my 1st win. I still have that one. sadly my MWDA collection was lost in a move except for that Spider. I do have a lovely Blacknight that is repainted in Lyran Royal Guards Colors though so I technically still have a collection :)
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2014, 17:12:15 »
Those Spiders were my main target of acquiring. Loved the design and look.

Yulri and his Blackhawk were a nice unit. That range was incredible on the ballistic rating.

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2014, 10:59:51 »
"One-Eyed" Jack's Jupiter or Kendrick Fetladral's Mad Cat Mk III. Don't remember which.
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 23 February 2014, 14:28:52 »
The first one i pulled from a Booster:
http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=F095

back then 22 Defense (with armor) Rocked. Used him Many times with great success....
until someone with multiple Artillery (back in the days when you could 'stack' artillery)
and Multiple Formations of Gnomes gave me the impression i should try something else.
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #25 on: 23 February 2014, 18:40:28 »
My first unique was

D111 Jaqueline Tadaka (Legionnaire) 124 pts. (Swordsworn)

a true beast with a bad heat dial.  Okay, well, my first game, I still needed to learn the heat rules, because in Classic BT, running two turns in a row didn't create enough heat to blow up your mech.

So, I gave up on Armor Piercing and learned to Alpha Strike.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #26 on: 23 February 2014, 21:19:37 »
I wonder what someone's face would look like if they pulled the Ryoken II by random

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 24 February 2014, 02:37:01 »
I wonder what someone's face would look like if they pulled the Ryoken II by random

Just about:
I had a tournament where I had NO pieces of my own with me,   So, I bought 3 Boosters...   Pulled Both Goeff Bekker and Mavis Morgan and wiped the table with the blood of my opponents.   including destroying al of one guys units within the allotted time
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2014, 20:04:02 »
I can remember my first Mechwarrior Dark Age purchase.  2 Starters and 4 Boosters (one for every bit of art)

I got a spirit Cat Koshi, Dragons Fury Agromech, Swordsworn Centurion, Bannson's Raiders Argo Mod, Steel Wolves Black Hawk and Scott Tracyk Legionaiire.

each mech got their own shake downs but the Centurion and Tracyk were mainstays until I got Janis NovaCat, and the two mailaways (a cougar and Zeus).

I also quicky discovered the utility of Highlander Peasant Companies and Spirit Cat Clan Battle armor.  traded like a madman so I could get 10 and 6 each.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2014, 09:08:18 »
My very first Mechwarrior "Pack" I got was for running a Shadowrun tournament while I was posted in Kingston.  I say "pack" because I was given the promotional mech, tank, and infantry that just said, Mechwarrior: Dark Age, Coming Aug!  I still have them.

Register