Author Topic: ISaW Faction Abilities - Can They Change?  (Read 2423 times)

Chaeronea

• Master Sergeant
ISaW Faction Abilities - Can They Change?
« on: 26 October 2018, 00:28:45 »
Hi everyone,

Another question about Inner Sphere at War, specifically about the Faction Abilities that each faction starts with. Can they be modified or removed through dedicated effort, like with the R&D rules in Second Succession War? Or is that beyond the scope of a campaign? I'm thinking of canon events like Katrina Steiner's efforts to remove the Social Generals from the LCAF (in game terms, getting rid of the Flawed Doctrine ability) after the Fourth Succession War? Or Theodore Kurita's reforms of the DCMS?

I know that this would take quite a bit of time to happen but my friends and I like the idea of long campaigns - one that my friends proposed is 'The Life of Hanse Davion' which would run from 3013 when he became First Prince until his death in 3052. So that's why I tend to ask about long-term options.

Also, talking of 3052, has anyone heard when or if there will be ISAW rules for the Clan Invasion?

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: ISaW Faction Abilities - Can They Change?
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2018, 11:15:49 »
There are no current rules for changing Faction abilities.

It could fall under the scope of Scenario rules that you create.

As a for instance, in my 4SW campaign, I gave "achievement awards (and penalties)" for specific instances.

Example: if the FS player did three successful MOS7+ Propaganda ops, signifying Operation Galahad, then they received the Superior Counterintelligence Faction Ability. 

As long as the FWL player did NOT attack more than 2 worlds a round during the 4SW, they would have the Booming Economy trait.  Once they break this, however, they lose the trait. 
Agent # 703

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2018, 11:37:01 »
I would think some of this might be tied to the leadership like you see in some 4X games . . . for instance, while Takashi Kurita is Coordinator the DC would get some sort of Bushido related faction ability (Bushido Code?)- maybe some morale buff at the cost of military efficiency or attack power with the occasional roll when a commander loses a battle to see if they commit seppuku like the Iron Man.  High ranking officials- District Warlords or civil administrators get a 'Follower of Bushido' trait (unless they do not in canon) since they were elevated by Takashi.

When Theodore becomes Coordinator (if Takashi slips on the soap earlier than in canon) or even elevated to Gunrei and in charge of the military, then the Bushido faction trait either disappears or is in conflict.  Theodore would have something like 'Pragmatic' which unlike Bushido would not apply to all the Warlords, regimental commanders or warship commanders Theodore promotes or uses to replace his father's men.  When he was Gunrei then some commanders are followers of his father and still operate the old ways even against orders- like the commanders of the two units Hohiro sent to Luthien during the Clan invasion.  Those who were tagged as a Follower of Bushido get 'Out of Favor' as a new trait when Theodore takes over, which affects the resupply their unit gets each turn, morale, and even participation in actions that can gain glory/notice.

Granted, I am borrowing a LOT of how family/generals/dips are handled in the Total War series.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

epic

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2018, 11:47:33 »
Yeah, I'll second that: a good option is to tie the Faction abilities to each regime change.  You'd have to work out when the Regime changes though, based on sourcebook info (or have leaders vulnerable to attacks of some type)

So, once Theodore takes over, perhaps the Fanatical Offence/Defence falls away, and Superior Doctrine replaces it.

During the McAllister era, the Dragon has superior Black Ops. 

Agent # 703

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2018, 12:00:50 »
Yeah, I was trying to figure out what they would be fore who . . . 3025 we have rulers & heirs/successors, less in 3050 . . . and a huge LACK of heirs in 3150!

CapCon
Max Liao- Latent Madness, Schemer
Romano Liao- Murdering Madness, Fanatical
Candace Liao- Stable (lol)
Tormano Liao- Schemer

Lyrans
whatshisname Steiner-  Socially Promotion (Social Generals)
Katrina Steiner-  Diplomatic
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."