Author Topic: 3D Printed Board  (Read 10891 times)

jdk201

• Private
3D Printed Board
« on: 25 February 2016, 15:28:12 »
I posted this in the AS forum and someone suggested I post it here. 
Some of you might find this interesting.  I am 3D printing a AS board.  The pieces are modular so they can be rearranged for a unique map every time.  Here are the first few stages.  I have a hotz mat on order to be the playing field.  I'll be doing a bunch of other stuff too like turrets and buildings once the main board is finished.

Took 5 weeks to get the hotz mat, but it finally came and tonight we played our first AS game ever.   We had a blast and cant wait to play again.  The board is about 70 complete.  I still have a lot i want to do. I built a custom game table a while back and so for the game board I used the hots matz as an insert that goes over the normal playing felt.

I 3D printed custom hex bases in different colors to help keep track of mechs.  It also has a slot for TMM number or merc logo. 

I also 3D printed large dice and a holder to keep track of initiative. 

I still need to do a ton of detail work, it took me hours and hours to print all the terrain and then paint it.  Next items up are movement and shot trackers, buildings, turrets and more terrain variants.

« Last Edit: 25 February 2016, 16:31:58 by jdk201 »

nc_tracker

• Master Sergeant
Re: 3D Printed Board
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2016, 18:04:15 »
very neat and I do like the custom table with cup holders too :)

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2016, 09:53:38 »
My latest addition.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2016, 15:39:16 »
This is fantastic stuff! Keep it up! Can't wait to see more!
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Megamandinga

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Nuclei3D
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2016, 11:03:13 »
very cool stuff, What printer are you using? I currently have a mech scale Union dropship in the works along with a clan blood chapel. Will post model pics soon. Very cool table!
It's the badly drawn cardboard bad asses!

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2016, 10:23:11 »
I am really loving that custom table with the cup holders.  8)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2016, 15:42:06 »
Do you have a close-up of the Atlas? For it looks awesome. And nightmarish.

Oh, and i'm gonna want a 3d printed board like that someday. Looks really good.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2016, 16:18:20 »
The bridge is awesome!

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2016, 14:40:18 »
Yes my next project is going to be buildings, then a drop ship of some sort.  That is going to take some effort so need proper motivation.   I am using a xyz Di Vinci Pro 1.0.   I preordered it and got it for $550, after the pre orders they jumped to $700.  I highly recommend them, i've had great success with it.  A few people here on the forums have even commissioned me for some work! 

Here is the bridge in action.   A buddy of mine decided he wanted to be the first player to get on the bridge,  he was cut down in short order.

I cannot wait to see your drop ship model.   I will take a close up of the Atlas and post it.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2016, 14:45:02 by jdk201 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2016, 15:13:27 »
The bridge looks great, and the cupholders are really practical.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2016, 15:30:43 »
The bridge is awesome.  I really like what you've done with the 'mech stands too; the idea of it having the holders for markers and such.   How fast does the printer go through "ink"?   I don't know what the material used by the printer really is called.  How much does it cost to refill the printer?  I'm just trying to get some ideas for the future of my own games. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2016, 15:39:09 »
Since we are talking about HotMatz . . . are those tiles sort of compatible with the geohex?  I know their trademark thing about having the locking teeth, but I am also wondering if that bridge would slot in with geohexes?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2016, 12:24:58 »
The bridge is awesome.  I really like what you've done with the 'mech stands too; the idea of it having the holders for markers and such.   How fast does the printer go through "ink"?   I don't know what the material used by the printer really is called.  How much does it cost to refill the printer?  I'm just trying to get some ideas for the future of my own games.

The printer heats and extrudes different types of plastic in layers.   A 1 kilo spool is $22 on amazon.   I have not used up an entire spool as of yet and I've run the machine constantly since December when i bought it.   It is very cheap materials wise, but prints do take a bit of time.   The bridge is roughly 8 hours of print time.  There are many factors that can affect that. 

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2016, 12:29:50 »
Since we are talking about HotMatz . . . are those tiles sort of compatible with the geohex?  I know their trademark thing about having the locking teeth, but I am also wondering if that bridge would slot in with geohexes?

I am not familiar with geohex, but I can tell you that I can design these things to work with anything really as the tolerances on the 3d prints is very high, within .3mm.   My bridge has a 1.5 hex cut out on the bottom of each side that the terrain fits into so it is essentially locked in place.

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2016, 00:39:31 »
Here is a pic of the atlas.   I took high res photos of all my minis with a green screen so i can put them on the custom cards I am making.   The black and white from the MUL just doesnt cut it for me.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2016, 02:58:23 »
Only thing better on that . . .

Hmm, need to find worktroll . . .
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2016, 05:41:56 »
I really like how the Atlas' eyes seem to glow. Very dangerous looking one.

Frank Olson

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2017, 12:46:18 »
Anything new from the 3d printing department? I printed a lot of dropships and buildings from thingiverse and will use these hills (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1679800548/dragonlock-3-dangerous-lairs) for Battletech in Heroscape size soon. I also bought a lot of heroscape boxes but I guess in the end I will switch to 3d printable stuff.

What about you?

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2018, 15:22:11 »
I've been working on city terrain, building and such.  Should have new pictures before too long.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2019, 05:16:22 »
Stuff for fine palates. 8)