Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 148414 times)

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #1380 on: 03 May 2024, 21:10:14 »
Reading a book about Gypsies; it turns out, they pretty much sprang up in Europe at the 15th-century.  They're considered refugees from the collapse of the feudal-system and their genetic make-up was not necessarily from Egypt or India, but most were European.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2024, 21:13:05 by Prospernia »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1381 on: 03 May 2024, 21:21:51 »
Reading a book about Gypsies; it turns out, they pretty much sprang up in Europe at the 15th-century.  They're considered refugees from the collapse of the feudal-system and their genetic make-up was not necessarily from Egypt or India, but most were European.
actually they are descendants of groups that ghenghis khan  displaced when he started his empire a lot of them initially came from central asia and their lines got pretty diluted by the time they reached europe around late 13th century
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1382 on: 03 May 2024, 21:36:57 »
And they mixed with local European populations off and on throughout the centuries.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Zematus737

• Sergeant
« Reply #1383 on: 04 May 2024, 10:08:14 »
actually they are descendants of groups that ghenghis khan  displaced when he started his empire a lot of them initially came from central asia and their lines got pretty diluted by the time they reached europe around late 13th century

I have read that the Khans were actually descended from Scythian lords who were the originators of the feudal system.  It was the Persians who borrowed this to form satrapies.  And that the Persians themselves were considered to have homogenized to these systems being that they were neighbors and RELATIVES of the Scythian royal Aryan bloodlines.  See Beckwith's, The Scythian Empire.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1384 on: 04 May 2024, 20:04:43 »

More likely, a group was, and another was from India, etc.  People in Medieval-times tended to lump groups together; if you were an outsider, no matter where you were from, you're a Gypsy.  Like, if you were sick, you were a Leper, regardless if you actually had leporsy or not.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1385 on: 04 May 2024, 21:08:01 »
More likely, a group was, and another was from India, etc.  People in Medieval-times tended to lump groups together; if you were an outsider, no matter where you were from, you're a Gypsy.

Actually, the people made a fairly homogeneous cultural group as they spread around Europe, keeping similar customs even among the ones who migrated all the way to Ireland and Wales as well as keeping their own language.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1386 on: 05 May 2024, 09:57:25 »
Actually, the people made a fairly homogeneous cultural group as they spread around Europe, keeping similar customs even among the ones who migrated all the way to Ireland and Wales as well as keeping their own language.

Given the intense-persecutions in the 16th and 17th, centuries, that group may have been the only ones that survived.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1387 on: 05 May 2024, 20:43:07 »
Mortar Gunner on the Eastern Front

I am enjoying the view from a that of a Private rather than a General, politician or historian.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #1388 on: 06 May 2024, 07:14:20 »
Still iterating through the first humble bundle of epubs, from Thunder Rift to Endgame, I'm now wrapping up Stackpole's Twilight of the Clans pt. 2 "Grave Covenant" which might be the one with smallest amount of 'Mech action so far :thinking:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1389 on: 06 May 2024, 09:14:58 »
It and Prince of Havoc were both pretty bad in that regard.

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1390 on: 07 May 2024, 16:58:08 »
Read Jaguar's Leap from the new BT bundle, and now back to the old with Threads of Ambition.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1391 on: 12 May 2024, 14:10:31 »
I've been on a PKD binge these past few months:

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick (1977) I finally managed to snag a new print edition of this book, and it's typical PKD at his best and worst: a tremendous goldmine of ideas, yet almost undone by opaque writing. It's set in the near future when America lost the drug war. Bob Arctor is a narc whos tasked with finding the supplier of a new drug called Substance D, a powerful opiate that can split the mind in half and destroy it. Arctor is an unreliable narrator because he becomes addicted to the drug, and he ends up becoming two people: one being a leader of a small group of junkies whos paranoid about police being out to get him, and another being a narc who spies on his other self.

The book is partly autobiographical since PKD opened his house to a group of junkies and stopped writing for a few years after his first divorce when his wife left him. The writing is also dense and stilted, and I had to reread a number of passages in order to fully grasp what was going on. Nevertheless, its a mindbender of a novel, and was even made into a movie starring Keanu Reeves and Robert Downey Jr. Rating 8/10

The Penultimate Truth by Philip K Dick. I think my bookstore has me figured out. They know I buy a PKD book all the time, so they always stock another one that I havent read yet, and so I end up buying it. Damn them!

This one is a post apocalyptic tale about a group of people whove been living underground in a fallout community shelter for over a decade, building robots to send out onto the surface to keep fighting WW3, but... things might not be what they seem. If this sounds like the plot for a ton of Hollywood movies and TV shows like Fallout and Silo, thats because it is... only PKD did it first!

The first chapter, in which someone is dictating words to an AI computer thats eerily reminiscent of ChatGPT blew my mind away. To think that PKD thought this up back in the early 1960s is just mind-boggling. Sadly though, it kinda goes downhill after that. In the end, its not his best book and the stodgy writing once again makes it a tough slog, but I think its still worth anyones time purely because of the awesome ideas he thought of well before everyone else copied them into cliches. Rating 7/10

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick- The one time I read this was when I was 12, and had discovered my uncle's stash of sci-fi books at grandma's house. I was a huge fan of Bladerunner, and I expected the book to be the same thing. Boy I was wrong.

Reading it again after all these years, I think I can understand it better now. The movie only touches on the events happening in the book, and makes it sort of like a noir detective thriller. But the book itself is far, far more. There's just so many things happening. Yes, the protagonist is a bounty hunter who hunts androids, but thats where the similarities with the movies end.

PKD's world building is phenomenal. There's empathy devices that can change someone's mood at the touch of a button, there's a new age religion called Mercerism that one can experience a Jesus-like messiah via virtual reality, and most of all, real animals have become status symbols, because almost all species went extinct due to a nuclear war, so almost everyone's pet has been supplanted with fake ones: hence the book's title.

It's all about what is real and what is fake. The protagonist kills fake things, but things are not like what they seem anymore. If you havent read it yet, and are a sci-fi fan, youve got to read it. Trust me, its that good. Rating 9/10

Zematus737

• Sergeant
« Reply #1392 on: Today at 12:10:43 »
I've been on a PKD binge these past few months:

The book store will never carry his Exegesis, while some of his lesser known works like the tripple stigmata of palmer eldritch or Valis will be harder to come by.  Try your county library and save a buck.  When my family grew more accustomed to using the request features and how accessible the online library sites are, it becomes very easy to get a book from a neighboring stock brought in.  To say nothing of the amount of money you save if your children are also devouring books.

As much as I loved PKD as a teenager and in my early 20's, he did a lot of harm to the Science Fiction community with an elitist type mindset for American authors in creating a group mind that should or shouldn't approve who is acknowledged or not by "the best" in the genre.  And that goes a long way for a person who is just plainly an author and story weaver.  He's a product of his time with space flight and "martian canals" being discovered and the heavy psychotropic scene exploding.  In the end, he was never honest with the vision he was given and this caused as much consternation in him personally that he became a facsimile of many of his protagonists.  He was very much like HG Wells.

I'm stuck myself on Warhammer fiction, wishing that the library here had them in stock.  Halfway through the Horus Heresy series and impressed by the level of quality fiction found in these books.  Certainly a step up from where the fiction in this universe started.

Books I myself killed lately: Secret Societies: A Discussion of their character and claims, by Edward Beecher; The Atonement of Fire, by David Annandale; Perturabo: Hammer of Olympia, by Guy Haley; Ghost of Nuceria, by Ian St. Martin; Utopia, by St. Thomas More; Aesop's Fables (was reading two fables to my children 3-4 days a week); Chronicles of the Future Paul A Dienach; Valedor, by Guy Haley; All That Remains, James Swallow; Aurelian, Aaron Dembski-Bowden (one of my favorite 40k authors, right behind Dan Abnett); Dark Vengeance Collection, by CZ Dunn (if you want a flavor of what I felt 40k was before it became great); Valdor: Birth of the Imperium, by Chris Wraight (not a bad place to start for foundational background for the Horus Heresy series); Blades of the Traitor, Various. 

Working on The Naked and the Dead, by Norman Mailer and Pope Francis' 2013 apostolic exhortation evangelii gaudium.  Talk about two contrasting works!  Oh boy.  I'm finding it impossible to read them together.