Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Generals and Gentlemen  (Read 72622 times)

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
Re: AFFS High Command, Generals and Gentlemen
« Reply #270 on: 16 August 2022, 04:42:30 »
Fox or Hound?

Like Hanse or Ian?

Assuming that's what you meant, I can only imagine the bulk of any answers swaying
very much in the direction of Fox.  If not, do elaborate.

Oh and very much Fox.  Apply force sparingly but effectively.  But apply guile and intrigue,
constantly for maximum benefit.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #271 on: 16 August 2022, 08:35:10 »
Pretty much it.   The things as I see them is that if most people here are honest with themselves, they are more hounds than foxes.  More in line with the Arthurian than the fox fables. Ah well, it was an attempt.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #272 on: 16 August 2022, 13:54:18 »
I always liked Ian.  Good man, just had the bad luck to face of with one of the two mechwarriors in BT history known to have demonstrated Phantom Mech Syndrome.  It’d be a fascinating alternate history to have Ian live and Hanse as his Prince’s Champion.  Maybe no full FC marriage alliance, but nothing says Hanse couldn’t encourage a favorable response to Katrina’s peace proposal and joint military operations with the Lyrans.  Even Operation Rat could still be a go, perhaps with Hanse leading from the front and Ian staying home and telling all the reporters what a brilliant strategist his brother is.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #273 on: 16 August 2022, 14:06:44 »
Would Ian have been in mortal peril in that case? If not, then there'd be no Halstead Station raid, and thus no NAIS. That would then allow the Dracs to use the texts from the library to improve their own research, putting them ahead of the FS when the Helm Memory Core is found. That would probably eliminate the Hatchetman's creation, too.

And in the opening fiction for HTP: Mallory's World, I gave Ian Phantom 'Mech Ability, briefly. ;)

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #274 on: 16 August 2022, 14:20:36 »
I always liked Ian.  Good man, just had the bad luck to face of with one of the two mechwarriors in BT history known to have demonstrated Phantom Mech Syndrome.  It’d be a fascinating alternate history to have Ian live and Hanse as his Prince’s Champion.  Maybe no full FC marriage alliance, but nothing says Hanse couldn’t encourage a favorable response to Katrina’s peace proposal and joint military operations with the Lyrans.  Even Operation Rat could still be a go, perhaps with Hanse leading from the front and Ian staying home and telling all the reporters what a brilliant strategist his brother is.

It seems more likely, given some of the information in A Clever Bit of Fiction, Ian would have abdicated in favour of Hanse, then serving as Hanse's champion or (more likely, IMO, given the political role that Prince's Champion is a lot of the time) commanding Marshal of an RCT in the Guards.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #275 on: 16 August 2022, 14:51:54 »
Would Ian have been in mortal peril in that case? If not, then there'd be no Halstead Station raid, and thus no NAIS. That would then allow the Dracs to use the texts from the library to improve their own research, putting them ahead of the FS when the Helm Memory Core is found. That would probably eliminate the Hatchetman's creation, too.

And in the opening fiction for HTP: Mallory's World, I gave Ian Phantom 'Mech Ability, briefly. ;)
The Halstead Station raid was originally Ian’s plan, wasn’t it?  It was delayed by Ian’s death, so in this timeline it goes off in 3012 instead, and NAIS gets founded a couple of years earlier.

It seems more likely, given some of the information in A Clever Bit of Fiction, Ian would have abdicated in favour of Hanse, then serving as Hanse's champion or (more likely, IMO, given the political role that Prince's Champion is a lot of the time) commanding Marshal of an RCT in the Guards.
That I just can’t see.  Is there a single instance in BT of a reigning monarch abdicating in favor of a younger sibling?  I mean, aside from the younger sibling launching a coup, or the elder having some debilitating disease/injury that necessitates abdication.  I guess you might count Victor at the end of the FCCW, sort of.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #276 on: 16 August 2022, 14:52:54 »
I'm preparing for a BattleTech campaign on the Jade Falcon front in 3052. I'm wondering if any of you gentlemen would like to have a guest appearance as an NPC.

Technically my old MW1 campaign character/unit didn't face the Falcons in 3052.
Off the top of my head I think we faced them once in 3050 & again in 3054/55 IIRC.
By then I was driving an Atlas for a few years.
The Unit often operated as separate detachments, so, in theory, a small combat command could have still been up there.

Fox or Hound?
A bit of a mix actually.  More Hound though I think.

What?  Cool!   Good to here.  I have not read that one. 
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #277 on: 16 August 2022, 16:26:51 »
The Halstead Station raid was originally Ian’s plan, wasn’t it?  It was delayed by Ian’s death, so in this timeline it goes off in 3012 instead, and NAIS gets founded a couple of years earlier.

Ian wanted to take out the supply depot that Takashi was building there. He went to relieve Mallory's World instead and was killed. Hanse elected to raid Halstead Station anyway. I don't think Ian was ever aware of the discovery of the university (I can't find a date for when it was unearthed.), but if Ian had raided in 3012 or 3013, it's likely that the university would not have been the focus of the raid, a change made by Hanse, because its existence was unknown.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #278 on: 16 August 2022, 16:27:58 »
What?  Cool!   Good to here.  I have not read that one.

You might find it interesting, given who witnesses it and thus, perhaps, develops it later.  ;)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #279 on: 16 August 2022, 19:53:07 »
Go on then, you can use my name if you fancy.  Be sure I'm not driving anything
under heavy weight eh?  ;)
There will be a Sergeant D. Rourke as the Archer pilot in the fire lance, then!
If you need a Wasp pilot to soak up hits, I'm game.
Into the Scount Lance then, call sign "Decoy"

I have a question I want to ask the members of this thread that I've been struggling to phrase so... I'm just going to put it out there.

Are you a
Fox?
or
Hound?
More the Hound, actually. Not much vision, but stable.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #280 on: 16 August 2022, 21:01:04 »
You might find it interesting, given who witnesses it and thus, perhaps, develops it later.  ;)

It's contagious.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #281 on: 16 August 2022, 22:45:24 »
If you need a Wasp pilot to soak up hits, I'm game.

I have a question I want to ask the members of this thread that I've been struggling to phrase so... I'm just going to put it out there.

Are you a
Fox?
or
Hound?
A little of both, closer to hound
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #282 on: 18 August 2022, 18:47:17 »
OOOH Archer, was always fond of that one. 

One of those machines, I always regretted the Suns didn't have
a production line for.  But one I've always found incredibly
effective.

Good choice.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #283 on: 18 August 2022, 20:27:06 »
One of those machines, I always regretted the Suns didn't have
a production line for.  But one I've always found incredibly
effective.

On that note, I'm stumped about something.

So TRO3025/3039 both state that in the SW the Archer was produced from 6 factories.

Sarna lists about 10 but some of those are old/new that were not running in the SW.

That said, I think I've found 7 that were in the SW so I'm wondering if the 6 is in error or if I'm missing something & one of them isn't really in the SW.

LyrCom = 4
3 for Bowie  (Alarion, Carlisle, & Wyatt)
1 for Defiance  (Hesperus)

FWL = 1
1 for Earthwerks  (Calloway)

DC = 1
1 for GT&K  (Satalice)

TC = 1
1 for VMI  (New Vandenburg)

Anyone know if 1 of these is not like the others?

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #284 on: 18 August 2022, 21:41:42 »
If it were me, I'd assume Grand Base and Tikonov. Add in *Maybe* Lexatech at Hun Ho for the Combine. I don't know if Lexatech was producing the Archer in 3025/3039 though.  This is just speculation on my part.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #285 on: 20 August 2022, 19:07:57 »
Gurr. Me and reading comprehension. I believe that one of the Bowie factories was a repair/refit facility until after the Civil War.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #286 on: 03 September 2022, 19:10:37 »
So much has been retconned, it's sometimes hard to keep track of.

Ofc my bias has always been it needed to be, industry wise.  I despised the whole
early mad max side of this universe, limited I could see but initial numbers back then
were unsustainable.  At least to my line of thinking, I'm odd like that.  I'll blame it on
teenage years playing Twilight 2000 :p

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #287 on: 03 September 2022, 23:48:20 »
Wyatt wasn't making an Archer until later?  it didn't start until Project Phoenix.  (Only mention of Wyatt building Archers is Handbook House Steiner set in 3067?  No mention of it before then.  Not in TR3052, TR3039, Objective Raids, etc.)
« Last Edit: 03 September 2022, 23:49:59 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #288 on: 04 September 2022, 05:23:53 »
The original (3050s era) OR, was a complete mess.  No doubt another victim of Fasa's shoddy
ability to manage continuity properly.  I still think we as a community, owe a massive debt for the
improvements made the last 15 years or so.  Was that Oystein, memory suggests it was his doing?

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #289 on: 04 September 2022, 12:56:16 »
MadCapellan came out with the most recent batch of OR stuff that tried to improve on that. Apparently he became Mad(der) Capellan and nearly didn't make it through the series. Oystein did much of the map work in the past though.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #290 on: 06 September 2022, 15:48:32 »
Gurr. Me and reading comprehension. I believe that one of the Bowie factories was a repair/refit facility until after the Civil War.

Wyatt wasn't making an Archer until later?  it didn't start until Project Phoenix.  (Only mention of Wyatt building Archers is Handbook House Steiner set in 3067?  No mention of it before then.  Not in TR3052, TR3039, Objective Raids, etc.)

I'm betting that is it, when I saw 3 Bowie factories it seemed too much to me, I swore they only had 2 but Sarna had 3 so 1 of them is probably a rebuilt location.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #291 on: 12 September 2022, 08:32:55 »
MadCapellan came out with the most recent batch of OR stuff that tried to improve on that. Apparently he became Mad(der) Capellan and nearly didn't make it through the series. Oystein did much of the map work in the past though.

If memory serves, you're correct on mapping yes.  But I seem to recall he posted here, frequently on matters being queried.
He was always authoritative and respectful of the subject matter, and posters.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2022, 01:37:48 by Rorke »

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #292 on: 15 September 2022, 08:46:52 »
Shrapnel 10 is out today. My story "Forbidden Lore" is in it. It takes place during the Halstead Station Raid. My way of bringing a hint of cosmic horror to the BT universe. If you check it out, please let me know what you think!

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #293 on: 13 October 2022, 23:41:30 »
Hello all. It's been quite a while since I've poked around on the boards. Good seeing that the High Command still going.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #294 on: 14 October 2022, 20:32:01 »
Hello all. It's been quite a while since I've poked around on the boards. Good seeing that the High Command still going.

I hope all is well with everyone.
Force!  Hope you're doing well also.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #295 on: 28 October 2022, 21:25:20 »
Hey folks, how's everybody?  As for me, I just recently moved to DC to go to flight school.  It is...a lot, and I mean, a *lot* of information in a short period of time.  Holy cow it's a lot.  Hoping to make my way to the airlines in a couple of years once I've got all my certs and the requisite hours.  Maybe when I have time again I'll even put the knowledge I'm cramming in to use writing something for Shrapnel.  (Speaking of, I'm just now reading #10.  I'll keep an eye out for your piece, Geoff.)  If anybody else in the the DC metro...I don't really have much time, but I'd still like to get together and play some BT some time.
Sunrise is Coming.

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #296 on: 28 October 2022, 21:30:23 »
My brother is in flight school up in Canada. From what he says, I think you have more work coming up than I have had in law school, so good luck!
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #297 on: 28 October 2022, 22:21:49 »
Good luck, AW!

Heya, Force!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #298 on: 29 October 2022, 20:00:35 »
Hey, nice to see you AW! Flight school sounds like the firehose of knowledge no matter the source.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #299 on: 31 October 2022, 12:49:56 »
Goodness, Amazon approved my new book far faster than any of my previous books!