Author Topic: GM Screen?  (Read 2111 times)

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
GM Screen?
« on: 01 May 2011, 05:31:40 »
What is a GM screen?  It sounds like something requiring a visit to the doctor.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Exachix

Re: GM Screen?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2011, 05:41:13 »
A GM screen is usually something the GM uses to keep things away from players. These can be rolls, or the notes that the GM may be using for the game. It's the stop the players seeing what the GM has planned.

Usually, GM screens have a mighty selection of tables and charts that the GM may need to use so he doesn't have to look through the book every time the event comes up. On the opposite side it has pretty pictures for the players to look at.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2011, 05:57:05 »
I see.  In middle school we called that a "Textbook."
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2011, 11:17:10 »
Its more useful in other games where the GM needs quick access to info the players do not. In BT I do not use one and have all the tables we all need blown up and on the wall for all to read.

I do however hide most of my to hit, PSR and skill check rolls. Locations number of missiles and the like I do not. If someone does not believe a roll I can then show them their fate. Usually its to keep them in the dark a little otherwise they use to much out of character info to figure out just how good my forces are etc.  Like well that guy is a really good gunner so he must be the leader kill him.

Wereferret

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2011, 17:32:18 »
I see.  In middle school we called that a "Textbook."

Nah, the better analogy would be that AToW is the textbook and the GM Screen is the Cliffnotes or the Cheatsheet.  I guess they're not as common with wargaming but they're quite useful for the roleplaying crowd.  I've got the D&D and Call of Cthulhu DM screens, and they definitely reduce the workload on a DM who is already saddled enough with rules while trying to tell a story.  You can check out the .pdf version of the screen for free though and decide if its a good value for you.

Register