Author Topic: Reactive's Collateral Damage?  (Read 1892 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Reactive's Collateral Damage?
« on: 26 March 2020, 17:50:14 »
I can't help but think there is, or should be, a rule on how infantry don't actually like working with vehicles whom mount reactive armor; Is there not something, somewhere how BPI don't like being in the same hex as such units?
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Reactive's Collateral Damage?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2020, 17:59:45 »
No collateral damage as it is.
Should there be? No IMO, because the armor has limited usefulness as it is, and friendly fire would make it worse.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2020, 18:01:14 »
No such rule exists.

Have you seen videos of RPGs and the like impacting tank armor?  There's no way ERA going off is going to be more than a drop in the bucket with all the fragments of hypervelocity gauss & AC shells flying about.  Honestly, there's probably just as "good" of a claim that ablating armor fragments could hurt conventional infantry and BA, but they don't.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2020, 18:42:37 »
Until they add a version of an APS, probably not.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2020, 18:49:11 »
Until they add a version of an APS, probably not.
That would just be AMS and Laser AMS, wouldn't it?

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2020, 18:54:16 »
No; AMS is well, AMS (and the land based equivalent).  Active protection systems fire an explosively forged projectile at incoming rounds rather than a cannon or laser.  Much more detrimental to conventional infantry next to the mounting unit.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2020, 19:02:32 »
No; AMS is well, AMS (and the land based equivalent).  Active protection systems fire an explosively forged projectile at incoming rounds rather than a cannon or laser.  Much more detrimental to conventional infantry next to the mounting unit.
So instead of relying on passive defenses such as armor plating, APS actively track a projectile and attempt to intercept it with its own projectile or other such weapon system...

...Which differs from AMS, LAMS, and RISC APDS, which instead of relying on passive defenses such as armor plating, actively track a projectile and attempt to intercept it with its own projectile or other such weapon systems..?

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2020, 20:24:28 »
Is it a question of scale? Y'all think 30m hexes are big? :(
Goose

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2020, 22:11:11 »
Is it a question of scale? Y'all think 30m hexes are big? :(
The question is why potential recoil damage to infantry due to ERA micro-explosives are worth modeling when the collateral recoil damage to infantry from a 250 kg hypervelocity HGR slug vaporizing 1,500 kg of razor-sharp metal scraps off a nearby IFV is not.

That and there's the whole thing of real-life IFVs that have begun to use reactive armor to help augment vehicle protection, so apparently real-world militaries are either not very concerned with collateral damage to nearby infantry or there's just not all that big of a risk for an infantryman standing near a micro ERA detonation, relative to the risk of an infantryman standing near a RPG or even full-sized tank shell that caused said micro ERA detonation in the first place.

But if you're concerned about the nearby trooper's health due to exposure to micro-explosions, Reactive Armor doesn't necessarily have to be explosive.  What about NERA?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2020, 05:38:31 »
But if you're concerned about the nearby trooper's health due to exposure to micro-explosions, Reactive Armor doesn't necessarily have to be explosive.  What about NERA?
Unfortunately it is explosive, since a crit to the Reactive slot has a chance of detonating the entire armor in the section.

Incidentally BT reactive armor is very different from real reactive armor, which is add-on blocks on top of existing armor.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2020, 16:29:56 »
Goose

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2020, 17:36:25 »
Unfortunately it is explosive, since a crit to the Reactive slot has a chance of detonating the entire armor in the section.

Incidentally BT reactive armor is very different from real reactive armor, which is add-on blocks on top of existing armor.
Huh. I suddenly want to see specialty armors treated as Modular Armor instead of dedicated armor 'skin'.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2020, 05:41:49 »
Huh. I suddenly want to see specialty armors treated as Modular Armor instead of dedicated armor 'skin'.
Honestly, this would make modular armor pretty attractive for Omnis at times. Expecting heavy energy weapon opposition? Add some reflective modular armor, cutting down initial damage from energy weapons.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2020, 17:11:08 »
I feel that there should be rules for swarming infantry taking damage from reactive armor being set off or having a section explode.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2020, 20:31:14 »
 :ugly_stupid: I feel there should be moral rules for friendlies "helping" with such fire …
Goose

Register