Author Topic: (Answered) Ultraheavy protomechs, weapons, and the Wars of Reaving  (Read 3477 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
I have been reading through the construction rules for protomechs and their ultraheavy counterparts, and I find I have a question.

In the weapon and equipment table in tech manual it indicates that several weapons are unavailable to protomechs (they have an N/A in the column that indicates how many spaces they take up). However I cannot find anything in the actual text of the protomech design rules that indicates any weapons (aside for the special rules for missiles) are actually prohibited to protomechs. Coincidentally, aside from missiles and inner sphere weapons, all those weapons that are listed as N/A for protomechs wouldn't fit on a standard protomech anyway.

Jump forward to Wars of Reaving, and now we have ultraheavy protomechs. Once again, there's no mention in the text of any specific limitations on what weapons can and cannot be mounted on an ultraheavy protomech, aside from the special missile rules. What's more, many of the weapons that have the N/A tag in tech manual are actually light enough to fit on ultraheavy protomechs. One of those weapons (the Plasma Cannon as per errata) is actually mounted on an ultraheavy protomech in Wars of Reaving.

This of course raises the spectre of ultra heavy protomechs walking around with ER PPCs, LB10-Xs, or even small HAGs.  So my question is thus: are certain weapons inherently prohibited from use on a protomech, or (outside of the special rules for missiles) might a protomech make use of any weapon it has the tonnage to carry?
« Last Edit: 12 September 2012, 20:34:07 by Xotl »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: (Answered) Ultraheavy protomechs, weapons, and the Wars of Reaving
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2012, 21:34:48 »
Okay, based on that I have to see if I can jam an Arrow IV in a protomech...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!