Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157676 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #630 on: 06 June 2018, 08:25:34 »
Just finally saw Star Wars: Solo.

To my pleasure, it was very good movie.  I'm not entirely sure why it's not doing as good in the theaters, other than it being expensive now to go to them depending on the location.  It's worth the cost of watching it! Its as good as Rogue One incomparison.  Ron Howard did a amazing job with salvage job he did with project!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #631 on: 06 June 2018, 09:29:54 »
I am COMPLETELY burned out on big-budget spectacle films. I'm done. I can't handle more Marvel - haven't seen a one since Guardians 2, which I hated - and I can't handle more Star Wars. I even skipped Pacific Rim 2.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #632 on: 06 June 2018, 10:11:30 »
I am COMPLETELY burned out on big-budget spectacle films. I'm done. I can't handle more Marvel - haven't seen a one since Guardians 2, which I hated - and I can't handle more Star Wars. I even skipped Pacific Rim 2.
Too bad. Solo was good, i'm in same camp as you with burn out thing.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #633 on: 06 June 2018, 10:21:34 »
Too bad. Solo was good, i'm in same camp as you with burn out thing.

Nah. I'm not going to see it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #634 on: 06 June 2018, 11:40:28 »

Guardians 2 represented a low point in recent Marvel films: the ones that have come out since have been better, but if you're burned out you're burned out.  And there's a heck of a lot of Marvel films to cause burn out.

I haven't bothered with Solo myself.  I thought about going Monday but had car trouble that needed to be taken care of and honestly nothing I've seen about the movie really makes me feel that I absolutely must go see it.

I've been watching the trailers for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.  So far, it looks like it's Jurassic Park 2, but with likable characters and a coherent plot.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #635 on: 06 June 2018, 12:11:06 »
My daughter is working through a condensed version of the MCU, so we watched Avenger, Age of Ultron.  Other than a few uncomfortable minutes ("Dad, what does 'playing hide the zucchini' mean?" ) it went well.  On to Ant Man!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #636 on: 06 June 2018, 15:31:13 »
Caught 13:17 to paris, and the new Willis Death wish..  Loved the latter..  A great re-imagining of the original...  Though the first, was a little slow, it was still good.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #637 on: 06 June 2018, 16:51:34 »
Caught 13:17 to paris, and the new Willis Death wish..  Loved the latter..  A great re-imagining of the original...  Though the first, was a little slow, it was still good.

I am more than a little hesitant to watch Death Wish as I find Eli Roth's work distasteful at best.  I have no problem with violent films, or even gory films, but Roth's tendency to bathe in brutality, for want of a better term, turns me off of his movies.  How was it from that stand point?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #638 on: 07 June 2018, 01:31:34 »
It was not really that brutal, compared to the original.  Only once, would i call a scene brutal..

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #639 on: 07 June 2018, 05:58:44 »

I just watched Destination: Moon. Its on YouTube! This is the sci fi movie that Heinlein co-wrote with a screen writer.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #640 on: 07 June 2018, 09:53:17 »
I am more than a little hesitant to watch Death Wish as I find Eli Roth's work distasteful at best.  I have no problem with violent films, or even gory films, but Roth's tendency to bathe in brutality, for want of a better term, turns me off of his movies.

My problem is less the violence and more that "guy goes on massive rampage to get revenge for the murder of his family" is such a cliched plot.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #641 on: 07 June 2018, 10:52:30 »
It is.

Such plots need a good twist to stay fresh - like eg said guy is a legendary ex-Illuminati assassin nicknamed Baba Yaga...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #642 on: 07 June 2018, 13:32:16 »
My problem is less the violence and more that "guy goes on massive rampage to get revenge for the murder of his family" is such a cliched plot.

So true.  Just taking a look at it, we had kill bill 1 and 2, all the death wish series (inc the remake), all 3 takens, john wick 1 and 2, the crow, man on fire, darkman, payback, law abiding citizen, punisher, faster, next of kin, the brave one, boondock saints, collateral, collateral damage, defendor (Heck, most any superhero film could count), the equalizer, eye for an eye, fire with fire, four brothers..  And many more..

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #643 on: 07 June 2018, 13:44:52 »
...boondock saints...
Not quite.
What a classic though. Super underrated.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #644 on: 07 June 2018, 15:48:47 »
So true.  Just taking a look at it, we had kill bill 1 and 2, all the death wish series (inc the remake), all 3 takens, john wick 1 and 2, the crow, man on fire, darkman, payback, law abiding citizen, punisher, faster, next of kin, the brave one, boondock saints, collateral, collateral damage, defendor (Heck, most any superhero film could count), the equalizer, eye for an eye, fire with fire, four brothers..  And many more..

The Count of Monte Cristo, Hamlet, Medea...  Heh.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #645 on: 07 June 2018, 16:10:17 »
There are no new plots and very few new ideas, and the most effective stories often use specific formulas. Judge a story on how it entertains you, not on its originality.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #646 on: 07 June 2018, 18:40:18 »
There may be no new stories, but it's still possible to be more original than "my family was murdered, I'm going to spend the next two hours running around shooting people."

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #647 on: 08 June 2018, 10:56:32 »
Shin Godzilla.  This is the weirdest Godzilla film I have ever seen, and I have seen all of them.  The monster concept and execution is great, but just as the original Gojira was a response to the nuclear attacks on Japan, this version is a response to the governmental responses (and lack there in) to Fukushima and the Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.  Where in other films the main human characters were scientists or military leader (or military super-powered mutants - I love Final Wars!) in here they are a Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary and Special Envoy to the President of the United States.  It says a lot that it doesn't suffer from that.  But the movie (and some of the movie's characters) question whether Godzilla or the bureaucracy is a bigger danger.

Godzilla's design is unique, horribly beautiful, and alien.  It was a weird flick, but I really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2018, 16:17:26 by Banzai »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #648 on: 11 June 2018, 14:34:44 »
So, saw the Jennifer Laurence, Red Sparrow.  And even with the nudity (that some felt was a little off), i LOVED the film.  All the twists kept me glued to the screen.

Then saw the comedy, Game Night, and felt it was a solid 3 ou of 5.. 

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #649 on: 11 June 2018, 20:39:27 »
(that some felt was a little off)
Its meant to be.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #650 on: 11 June 2018, 22:16:37 »
Watched Go For Broke! with Van Johnson. And thus starts my vacation.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #651 on: 11 June 2018, 22:22:08 »
I finally watched Thor: Ragnarok. Not bad.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #652 on: 12 June 2018, 22:16:07 »
Watched Hotel Artemis today.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #653 on: 13 June 2018, 20:13:08 »
Watched Upgrade

Fun movie, a bit of shakeycam in the beginning, nice little twist in it about who hired the people the main character is going after

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #654 on: 14 June 2018, 11:39:22 »
A Walk Among the Tombstones.  I have been avoiding this movie since I am a Lawrence Block fan who watched 8 Million Ways to Die when it came out.  (Arguably one of the worst adaptations I have ever seen of a novel, and a horrible movie on top of that.) But Neeson really gets the character of Matt Scudder, and the film embraces the tone of the novel. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #655 on: 16 June 2018, 04:26:29 »
Tomb Raider.

Underrated film, underrated franchise. Didn't care that much for the puzzles, but the pace was decent and the mystery was good - I liked that the ending was non-supernatural. The new Tomb Raider feels a lot like a feminine Indiana Jones (again minus the supernatural or alien, which IMHO is a good thing), and as such ought to have wider appeal. No idea why it wasn't so.

7/10, would watch again.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #656 on: 16 June 2018, 09:56:14 »
Watched Go For Broke! with Van Johnson. And thus starts my vacation.

Classic!

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #657 on: 20 June 2018, 13:38:29 »
Solo.  Light and airy fun.  Liked the heist stories, like the characters, Alden Ehrenreich did fine as an idealistic version of Han, Woody Harrelson did great at not just playing Woody Harrelson, the twist at the end was pretty good and sets up some great story possibilities.  And it was fun.  Since Firefly was pretty much Han Solo: The Series, you can see a lot of comparisons, but to me that is not a bad thing.

Now the people who complained that The Last Jedi was too different from other Star Wars films are complaining Solo is to similar.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #658 on: 20 June 2018, 16:10:15 »
Star Wars fans are the worst, full stop. It's why I don't participate in any SW fan stuff, and just enjoy the movies on my own terms.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #659 on: 21 June 2018, 21:36:35 »
I really liked Solo. Best part? I think that was the least Jedi/Force nonsense I could ever hope for in anything SW.

Now, I guess I have to watch more Rebels to find out what happened with *SPOILER* to get him into where he is in Solo. I am TIRED of that character, but I know many, many others are not.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman