Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164121 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #60 on: 25 June 2017, 14:27:15 »
The more I see things and trailers about Discovery....it almost makes not want to watch it. So many spoilers and fluff about the show and what its going to be is starting to turn me off on it. I think I will need to live in a bubble when it comes to Discovery until Sept when it comes out.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #61 on: 25 June 2017, 17:02:50 »
Unless they change their plans, i suspect we will only see the pilot episode and it's gone to CBS-Exclusive land.

So there will likely be no worries having watch it if it's not something that good.

I think if it were different era or new version of the universe.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #62 on: 25 June 2017, 23:33:29 »
I'm with you Belch. Discovery just isn't rustling my jimmies in all the right ways.  I'm not like "Yay new Star Trek soon!"  I'm more "Okay so when's The Orville out?"
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 26 June 2017, 10:35:19 »
I'm with you Belch. Discovery just isn't rustling my jimmies in all the right ways.  I'm not like "Yay new Star Trek soon!"  I'm more "Okay so when's The Orville out?"

I have seen so much taking apart Discovery on Youtube and just trying to avoid it is like going thru a minefield or the closest non warfare version of it. They take apart the uniforms, the ships, the Klingons, the computer displays, the transporter, to the color on the walls. Its just to much to me. Im glad they have a great cast and actors that want to be apart of the show form guest stars to other stuff. I hope this show lasts for a couple seasons and I hope Orville lasts a couple of seasons also.
When I saw the previews of Orville and Discovery I was blown away by both of them.
The Orville seemed more Star Trek to me then Discovery.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 26 June 2017, 20:26:15 »
This show already has a 'soon to be cancelled' vibe. I think Orville will eat its llunch...if Discovery actually makes it to screen in 2018.

I think CBS would be better off cancelling it now, and starting anew. Scrap the idea of a show in this setting. Go back to  last point in the timeline by a next gen show/movie, jump ahead  20 or so years, and do a general release series (or at least put it on something other than that stupid CBS paid service). Stop retconning, stop time travelling, stop prequeling, stop tripping over the feet of continuity.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #66 on: 26 June 2017, 22:35:54 »
Meh...wasn't that rule already basically broken by TNG?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #67 on: 27 June 2017, 00:12:28 »

Sure was, on several occasions.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #68 on: 27 June 2017, 00:24:47 »

Not by conflict within the crew itself, Pulaski aside.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #69 on: 27 June 2017, 00:36:58 »
I think Orville will eat its llunch...

Ha ha. The Orville has the stink of a one-season wonder (if it lasts that long) all over it. It's going to flop and flop hard.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 15 July 2017, 11:42:46 »
Ha ha. The Orville has the stink of a one-season wonder (if it lasts that long) all over it. It's going to flop and flop hard.
I think it's a better question of which one is going to flop harder-the Orville's got a fairly (relative) low budget look compared to Discovery, but it's not taking an unwiped dump on the setting, continuity, etc. while claiming not to.

let's take a look at some things...

1. Marching Band uniforms-Discovery's crew is wearing them.  Fandom for decades h as managed period-setting accuracy with a tiny fraction of the budget CBS lathered on to this.  Goldshirt/blueshirt/redshirt, they're identifiable, the 23rd century Starfleet uniform even got a nice update from the Abrams movies while retaining the basics and key appearance.  the 'look' of Starfleet in that era is a known factor.

2. How ****** hard is it to do a Klingon?? not difficult. Fans  have been doing the costuming and makeup for years on a fraction of the budget, and it doesn't require forty pounds of latex and foam rubber.  Somehow, CBS needed "Klingon" that can't turn their heads, facially emote, etc. etc. because of the sheer weight and complexity of the prosthetics.  Watch the (brief)) appearance of ST:D's Klingons-Not Michael dorn, or Hertzler, or anyone could make that look like anything more 'real' than a poorly constructed muppet or guy in a rubber suit-complete with a zipper up the back to the scalp.  I feel sorry for the stuntmen stuffed into those getups.

3. Ship shots.  CBS rolled out t heir ship-shot, and it got panned, hard.  recycling the concept art from Phase II, they forgot why that concept was abandoned in the first place. It looks AWKWARD.

4. Marketing Buzz choices.  Shows go to demographic  pandering when the people running them know they have all hat and no cattle.  the whole "Look at how many social justice boxes we ticked!" is pretty much an advertising that the writing for the show is going to suck. because it shows where the studio actually  put it's priorities.  Details like who's sleeping with whom are things you slide in as the  show progresses and elements like character development take form.  It's the conflict of "Show me don't tell me".  CBS chose to tell instead of show...

contrast wth Orville:

We find out in the trailer that the captain is the captain because they need BODIES.  the token alien urinates once a year, and the inbuilt conflict is shown, rather than told between the cap and his exec. and it's made absolutely clear from the first second onward, that this is supposed to be a comedy, so gags and hints of gags are immediate and apparent.  My own p rediction is that the Orville won't make it a full season, but it'll still have a better reaction than ST:D has.  Why?

1. cost.  even in the  trailer, Orville's production team focused their budget on things needed for the show.  The stiff alien can still emote, still lets the actor act, the uniforms are simple enough, and it's not re-visioning the asthetics of a known show and period.  someone act ually thought about the layout of the bridge, etc.
2. Teaser's clean, indicates the showrunner knows what he's doing.  Yes, Orville is a riff off of Galaxy-Quest, it's a riff off of Star Trek, and it's shamelessly so, but they managed to get a more trek-like look than the Trek series CBS is putting forward.
3. "Show me don't tell me"-not once in the trailer does the voiceover say "Comedy" or "Hilarious", no laugh track was evident, etc. etc.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #71 on: 15 July 2017, 13:09:17 »
*shrug*

Their show, their universe. They are free to do whatever they want with it (and am it seems).
I just don't get the nerdrage and sense that you are *entitled* to make them follow some of the horrid stuff that came in the previous 50 years.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #72 on: 15 July 2017, 13:18:56 »
2. How ****** hard is it to do a Klingon?? not difficult. Fans  have been doing the costuming and makeup for years on a fraction of the budget, and it doesn't require forty pounds of latex and foam rubber.  Somehow, CBS needed "Klingon" that can't turn their heads, facially emote, etc. etc. because of the sheer weight and complexity of the prosthetics.  Watch the (brief)) appearance of ST:D's Klingons-Not Michael dorn, or Hertzler, or anyone could make that look like anything more 'real' than a poorly constructed muppet or guy in a rubber suit-complete with a zipper up the back to the scalp.  I feel sorry for the stuntmen stuffed into those getups.

not to mention we have two canon prime timeline klingon makeups that have been proven using modern shows. you have the ridge head klingons from TMP onwards, and you have the "human augment" klingons from TOS, which got great makeup work in ENT and showed that with the right costuming you can still tell they are klingons. and by canon both should be around in the timeframe of discovery. Discovery has the potential to give us a look into the klingon society between ENT and TOS, show us the social struggles between the ridge and human type klingons, and why the human types were all we saw in TOS.

instead they went with these.. things. apparently just to reuse the abrams-verse makeup that was widely panned by even the abrams-verse fans, and was a huge continuity problem for those films as well. (one of many problems said series of films has in relation to the prime timeline, even the parts of the prime timeline that originated before the universes diverged)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 15 July 2017, 15:12:48 »
*shrug*

Their show, their universe. They are free to do whatever they want with it (and am it seems).
I just don't get the nerdrage and sense that you are *entitled* to make them follow some of the horrid stuff that came in the previous 50 years.

A lot of the outrage is hugely overblown for sure. And they shouldn't have to make something that is slavishly connected to how the show should look in the '60s. It also makes lots of sense to try to cash in on the aesthetic of the Abrams movies.

All of that said, there should be some respect paid to all of those that worked on the show before and what they put into it.

And in a real way, the fans do have a certain...ownership isn't the right word, let's go with investment in the IP. Star Trek has become part of the cultural landscape in a way few other IPs have. Everyone that interacts in anyway with it, they own that interaction. It's not simply sitting there passively watching something, those who invest in it, are fully interacting with it. (Whether that's through Cons or fanclubs or what have you.) So I think that's partly with that sense of "ownership" comes from.

Are CBS/Paramount entitled to do whatever they want with the IP? Certainly. Could they completely reboot the franchise, wipe everything out, start over completely? Again, without a doubt. However, there is one thing to remember: if they take it too far, if they remove people's since of investment in it, they run the very real risk of alienating the fans to the point where they stop supporting the IP. No support = no money = no IP.

Again, I will admit the vast majority of the criticisms are pretty trivial and nit-picking. And some people will simply never be satisfied.

(As an example, what would the reaction here be if TPTB suddenly decided they needed to revamp the BattleTech IP to get new players. First up, they add aliens, then they rewrite the 4th Succession War to have the Combine and Capellans win. Then change the Clans into the genecaste?)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #74 on: 15 July 2017, 20:50:27 »
I won't go nuts about Discovery anymore. Let me state right now, i've NOT see Discovery yet, so please don't shoot me. I tend to have trouble expressing myself so i maybe speaking here on accident.

So I apologize for anything maybe bit off here.

If there reaction, it's because the feel of Star Trek has shifted bit more from base line that was considered what made Star Trek what it is.   There always going to be people who remember how things were, how we feel it and should be. 
To me:  Star Trek is telling a self-contained story, perhaps inner dialog into what is the human condition of current day. Certainly, the original TOS did that in it's day.  ST:TNG was continuation of that mentality. It managed to carry it on and improve on it once Gene past away.  ST:DS9 broaden the universe, uniquely while other series was still going as did Voyage did later.  DS9 was bit darker in some senses, challenging the original vision of the Gene Roddenberry of his Utopia like society of peoples of various races facing off and being challenged by different ways of governance or outright hostile to the Federation.  TNG continues on, with final retirement of the original crew of the Enterprise passing the torch to TNG and it's era of new heroes and crews.  Voyager tried get Star Trek back into hopping the galaxy, running into fresh new races and things beyond that well explored Federation borders had seem run out of stuff to find.

The movies kept TNG going, but became main event sort thing. With some good and not so great stories.

Then Abrams comes in to refresh the franchise, with different vision. More a popcorn adventure mentality dropping off on real science for more science fictional physics.  Which is fine, but i don't think Paramount handled so well.   New Franchise of Abram's Star Trek was revision of universe while claiming nothing in the old timeline had change.  Alot of it had alot holes in it.  While Enterprise, trying work on foundation of Star Trek: First Contact which changed alot Star Trek lore of how early years of Star Trek universe was setup. Enterprise was very bold try establish what early year of the Trek universe was like. Changing some established history which was though established.  Again this is my opinion. 

What's my point? 

Discovery and all the information about it so far that has come out for it seems to suggest the show is more a high tech setting than the TOS was. A updated previous time. Which again i would be fine if weren't fact that just won't line up to the original TOS series, which studios insist is still canon and part of SAME timeline. That's kinda a stickpoint with me.  If there going revise the universe, just say so. Stop cover all possible marketing aspects of.  The studios don't seem to have good feel for how Star Trek is to the fandom (I'm talking about people love it and were inspired by it.).

I do hope I'm wrong, and Discovery is a great series.  However, i have doubts.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 24 September 2017, 21:22:45 »
Nope...not liking the new Klingons, and especially not their ships...give me the good old no frills, militaristic-with-nothing-to-excess warships like the D4, D5, D7, the K't'inga, the Bird of Prey (22nd or 23rd/24th century versions), the Vor'cha, Negh'var, etc., not these weirdly pseudo-organic-looking things...

Story in first episode wasn't too bad, and at least we had the Klingons howling to let the dead know a warrior was on his way, but otherwise...nope...

And doesn't appear to be worth paying just for the privilege of seeing the rest of the season...will wait for DVD or the like...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #76 on: 24 September 2017, 21:52:27 »
Just saw the 1st episode and it look to me the studio decided to take Axenar's script and mix it with classic lore and Abram's look to try to make a quick buck.  :-\ ??? ??? :(

I think I'll stick watching the Orville...  #P

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #77 on: 24 September 2017, 22:11:05 »
Am I the only one who saw the Klingon at the beginning and said "hey, it's Ronin the Accuser?"
« Last Edit: 24 September 2017, 22:52:22 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #78 on: 24 September 2017, 22:33:50 »
Seen the first episode, and......

It isn't something I'm going out of my way to watch.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #79 on: 24 September 2017, 22:48:42 »
I've yet to see it.  I take it i sadly was right that, Discovery was mishandled by CBS?

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #80 on: 24 September 2017, 23:17:22 »
Yeah, It really didn't grab my attention at all. Was it cool to see Star Trek on TV again? Sure. But it all felt like a push to subscribe to their streaming service. Don't have any intention to go out of my way to watch it.

Especially with their streaming service that seams to be taking advantage of the existing Trek fanbase instead of actually having it on TV to reach a new audience. It just seems abusive to me.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #81 on: 25 September 2017, 01:01:18 »
I'll stick with the Orville.  Not paying CBS for anymore migraine inducing lens flare and lackluster Klingon drivel.  After the premier, i feel the need to rewatch Enterprise and see how that crew destroyed the Klingon Council... which led to whatever it was I just saw.

Oh and maybe get a science advisor with more than a third graders comprehension of space sciences - yikes!

Paul

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 25 September 2017, 07:35:53 »
The visual and the epic of the sets were really awesome. The action parts were awesome. The story was really lacking and they still blew the canon history out of the stars.

I dont know what to think of it. Not as impressed as I thought, and not as disappointed as I thought I would be.

It reminds me of the Star Trek JJ versions. It has the Star Trek feel to it....but its not.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #83 on: 25 September 2017, 07:47:00 »
I enjoyed it and being in the UK I already pay for Netflix so roll it out
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #84 on: 25 September 2017, 09:52:16 »
I enjoyed it - and I'll keep watching it.

Orville has been....bleh. Trying to figure out what it want to be. Not daring to be funny enough.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #85 on: 25 September 2017, 10:26:22 »
Cant make my mind about it...

Looks like JJ Trek (lots of lens flare) and remade look for ships and Klingons (which I dont like - reminds me of hairless big primates).

An half baked story that wasnt necessary to get people into it IMO.

Lets see whats in store... Hope I have but the future in motion always is... oh wait...
« Last Edit: 25 September 2017, 11:45:02 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 25 September 2017, 10:26:45 »
Huh...looks like they are splitting the season in half. First half will run till November, then the second half picks up in January.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #87 on: 25 September 2017, 10:30:32 »
It was okay, enough that if I didn't have to pay to keep watching it I would keep up with it.

Yeah the Klingons and their ships are ugly but I can put up with the rest.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #88 on: 25 September 2017, 10:36:25 »
Wait. What did they do to my precious D7/K'tingas, and how angry should I be?
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 25 September 2017, 10:40:59 »
Wait. What did they do to my precious D7/K'tingas, and how angry should I be?

IMO you should be very angry. Klingon ships look like WH40K Imperium ships...

Also... they had holographic communications in the show in a time that wasnt supposed to exist yet (IIRC).
« Last Edit: 25 September 2017, 10:46:22 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.