Author Topic: Looking for "video jack" cable  (Read 932 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Looking for "video jack" cable
« on: 19 June 2018, 14:50:31 »
Family's old CRT TV has got antenna port busted up. Now I'm looking for alternative ways to connect old game consoles on it. Sega Mega Drive has a port what manual calls a "video jack". But when I type that on Google, I get links for composite and S-video cables. What the Hell? How am I supposed to find it? Screen capture from the manual & page in question below.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Re: Looking for "video jack" cable
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2018, 15:10:06 »
There is no specific type of jack known as a "video jack"

What you have there appears to be a proprietary DIN output jack with composite AV to the television.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2018, 15:17:00 »
Video on the sega will go to Video on the TV, usually the yellow plug, and the audio can go to either the Left or the Right Audio Red or White, old systems like NES and Sega dont do stereo. If your proprietary plug is busted you can find those online. If you TV doesn't have RCA plugs (HDMI Only), some new ones don't you will have to go through another device like a Home Theater Stereo, or buy an older TV at a pawn shop.

Amazon has replacements.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2018, 16:49:37 »
But when I type that on Google, I get links for composite and S-video cables.
Most commonly you'll find adapter cables that convert that video jack to standard SCART which about every European TV set should have (heck, my PC monitor has SCART...). They typically run 5-10 Euro on Ebay, sometimes less. Just google Sega Mega Drive Scart Cable ...

Check first whether your console has a 8-pin ("Mega Drive 1") or 9-pin ("Mega Drive 2") output jack though.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2018, 22:33:00 »
Okay, it looks like "video jack" in question is unique for original Sega Mega Drive (and Genesis) which isn't used in other any other devices. And I have found source where to get it.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.