Author Topic: (Answered) AGOAC and Pilotcard use regarding points and balancing SPAs  (Read 2912 times)

AgentofChange

• Recruit
I apologize if there is an easy answer to this that i missed but I've googled, skimmed faq's and reviewed topics on this forum and not found anything promising so far.   So here goes:

How do I use and balance use of the Pilot cards in the AGOAC box and by extension the cards that will come with the new Clan Set when it arrives?     Specifically, How you do you pay for and balance sides for teh Special Pilot Actions on the cards?

I know I can pop onto the master unit list and adjust Mechs base BV on the BG and PS for the pilots that part seems easy, but all of those pilots have SPA's and I cannot find anywhere that talks about those.  Even a google search doesn't turn up anything... SARNA doesn't even mention SPA's and that's where I know i'm in trouble.  I have the Battlemech manual and I've read it cover to cover and unless I missed something SPA's aren't mentioned any where in that book.  The cards have an SPA value but is a SPA value 3 on a locust the same as an SPA value 3 on an assault?  I am unsure.

I  would like to make use of these cards and i would like to know how to balance the abilities they provide becasue some of them seem like they would be worth some form of advantage on the opposing side and it also seems that like BG and PS the same ability on a larger Mech might be more valuable than if on a smaller Mech in terms of Battle Value.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2020, 02:05:20 by Xotl »

AgentofChange

• Recruit
Re: AGOAC and Pilotcard use regarding points and balancing SPA's
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2019, 14:06:31 »
Ok, so i think I answered my own question.  After a week of trying to figure it out I notice a little "CO" reference in the Battlemech Manual.  SO the rules for the SPA's are in the Campaign Operations book.  Which I have picked up in digital form and reviewed.  Now I have a modified question.

IF I have two forces of nearly even BV, and one side is using pilots with cards (and hence SPA's) and the other isn't.  One would assume you would then want to use the rules in Campaign Operations to allow the side NOT using SPA's to pick an equal amount to the side that is using the named pilots in order to create a more level playing field?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: AGOAC and Pilotcard use regarding points and balancing SPA's
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2020, 02:05:09 »
The only rule is players should agree on the use of special pilots and which ones (AGoAC rulebook, page 48).

There’s a rough guideline of using similar SPA costs (later on the cards), but as you say that can vary a lot.

Battle Value/Point Value do not cover them, they remain entirely optional and at player’s discretion for when to use them.  Essentially they've been added for fun, without a great deal of balancing.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0