Author Topic: Damn... even Tom Hanks got Covid-19  (Read 18390 times)

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
Damn... even Tom Hanks got Covid-19
« on: 11 March 2020, 20:43:37 »
According to local news reports Tom Hanks announced that he and his wife both got Covid-19.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: Damn... even Tom Hanks got Covid-19
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2020, 20:52:12 »
Confirmed, I just saw it on the dreaded FB scroll-down. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2020, 22:03:03 »
All my well wishes!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2020, 22:25:13 »
not a basketball fan, but the NBA just cancelled the season
at least they are taking it seriously
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2020, 01:43:58 »
not a basketball fan, but the NBA just cancelled the season
at least they are taking it seriously
clarification. the season is still going to happen, just without fans in the stands.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2020, 02:32:58 »
College basketball is supposed to continue without fans. NBA announced that they are suspending all games today:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/sports/basketball/nba-season-suspended-coronavirus.html

It's a smart thing to do since it is removing several points of contact that are unnecessary at what is likely to be viewed as the early stage of the situation. A relative of mine was supposed to go to a concert this weekend, but it was also canceled within the past 24 hours. Some might think its getting out of hand, but if people can avoid such large events for a while it would likely help slow the spread of the virus. Regardless of how harmful the virus is, what could make things worse is how people respond.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2020, 02:42:46 by StoneRhino »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2020, 14:03:59 »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2020, 15:28:35 »
As I understand it, the NBA decision was based on the fact a player tested positive (or at least that's what ESPN said this morning)...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2020, 16:30:05 »
That's true.  A player in the NBA did test positive for covid 19.  In the NHL statement, they cited that and the fact that the NBA and NHL share many arenas and alternate schedules as reasons why they chose  to "pause" the season.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2020, 16:38:42 by rebs »

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2020, 13:04:14 »
A lot of the schools out here are closing for a week or two. The surrounding counties say two weeks while the county I live in says one week and will let you know if two. Kids were happy until they found out they don't have to go, but still have classwork and homework to do lol.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2020, 13:17:27 »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2020, 16:21:50 »
Well, it's an actual National Emergency now... we'll see how this goes.  I'll be at work all next week regardless.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2020, 16:29:26 »
Well, it's an actual National Emergency now... we'll see how this goes.  I'll be at work all next week regardless.

My company has me working from home the next two weeks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2020, 16:39:25 »
A good chunk of the Pentagon is figuring out how to operate with shift work.  The rest is still "ops normal".  Seems I'm aligned with the latter part...

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2020, 18:00:48 »
A lot of the schools out here are closing for a week or two. The surrounding counties say two weeks while the county I live in says one week and will let you know if two. Kids were happy until they found out they don't have to go, but still have classwork and homework to do lol.
Grade-schools around here are showing signs (accessibility surveys) that they want to go to online classes soon. I'm guessing after spring break, like colleges are doing.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2020, 18:03:06 »
I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of distance learning at that age.  Not saying it can't work, but skeptical that it will...

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2020, 18:55:14 »
I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of distance learning at that age.  Not saying it can't work, but skeptical that it will...

Based on personal experience, I’m skeptical at any age.

And starting Monday, our temperatures have to be under a certain amount to be let in to work.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2020, 19:16:57 »
My nieces just got an impromptu spring break. If I heard right, schools will be closed for six weeks in town.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2020, 22:20:11 »
I work doing in-home care.

I can't not go to work and I'm concerned that some of my coworkers are not taking things seriously even though our client is a very high risk individual.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #19 on: 14 March 2020, 00:47:21 »
Schools out here in San Diego are shutting down and adding a couple of weeks to the spring break schedule.  No clear plans on how our district is going to handle it yet.

Saddest thing I saw today were the crowds bum rushing the grocery stores like the end of the world was coming. :(
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 14 March 2020, 01:16:58 »
Panic shoppin. It's a wonderful thing.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #21 on: 14 March 2020, 01:20:28 »
My grandmother decided not to buy toilet paper, despite being almost out, because she didn't want to look like a horder.

She's 94 and not in good health- she's exactly the type of person who should be hording things like toilet paper right now.

Fortunately, one grocery store still had a relatively decent amount left, so I was able to get her some after work tonight.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #22 on: 14 March 2020, 01:27:20 »
Well, at my work, toilet paper is out.  My warehouse is out for at least a week, if not longer.  Paper towels are rapidly reaching that point as well.

We are also wiped out of any kind of breathing mask, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, hand soap, and rubbing alcohol.  Those all have at least a two week backorder.

However, if you want bleach, or any other kind of liquid disinfectant, we've still got plenty of that on hand and more to order. :bang:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 14 March 2020, 06:13:59 »
Based on personal experience, I’m skeptical at any age.

And starting Monday, our temperatures have to be under a certain amount to be let in to work.

Ruger

Thankfully things haven't progressed to that stage here, but we have set up protocols on base to handle testing, including keeping any suspected sufferers away from the others within the health centre.

As for online learning, it entirely depends on the motivations of the student. It works well for the motivated student, and poorly for the demotiviated student. However that needs to be contrast against those same demotivated students doing exactly the same thing in a face to face class...

Edit to fix a spelling error.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2020, 06:35:38 by Nightlord01 »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #24 on: 14 March 2020, 06:27:46 »
Well, Wisconsin schools are now closed starting the 18th. Online learning it is.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 14 March 2020, 06:28:12 »
My 16 year old has read the fine print in what her school is proposing to do.  Apparently none of the distance learning deliverables are gradable, and will have to be repeated when school is back in session, so she's asked the very pointed question "why should I do it twice?".

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 14 March 2020, 08:21:33 »
What bums me is the following...

I help my GF with her hobby-ish crafting business. We do craft shows/fairs & a occasional small convention.
Starting this weekend, and for the next three weekends after, we had shows lined up. Two of which would of been the first time doing those specific events. Three of the shows are in high schools and the last was at a community center.
As of this post, two of the four have been out right canceled and a third postponed, rescheduling TBA. I'm guessing the fourth will be canceled soon enough. At lest with the two canceled events, my GF will get her money back. The rescheduled one OTOH...  I hope it is rescheduled soon...

It really screwed up some short term goals. Considering what we banked from a couple of small conventions we had in February went right back into replacing stock for this four-week stretch.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #27 on: 14 March 2020, 08:26:48 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 14 March 2020, 09:00:21 »

I would laugh except I talked to a guy this morning that bought ten 24 roll packs of toilet paper (that’s 240 rolls that he had in his buggy as we talked).

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 14 March 2020, 10:20:25 »
I would laugh except I talked to a guy this morning that bought ten 24 roll packs of toilet paper (that’s 240 rolls that he had in his buggy as we talked).

Ruger

You called him an idiot right?
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Register