Author Topic: Rutger Hauer passed away, age 75  (Read 2706 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Rutger Hauer passed away, age 75
« on: 24 July 2019, 12:12:27 »
https://popculture.com/celebrity/2019/07/24/rutger-hauer-blade-runner-star-dead-75/

Obviously he'll be most well known for arguably one of the most poignant and legendary adlibbed lines in movie history, yet...damn if he didn't sum up what we want from life in such short sweet words.  And he had a hell of a run in Hollywood, 174 credits doing everything from Kingdom Hearts to Hobo with a Shotgun to playing Michaelangelo himself. 

Ain't enough rain for these tears to be lost in.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: Rutger Hauer passed away, age 75
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2019, 12:19:44 »
Wow what a sad day....RIP
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2019, 12:30:36 »
Tears in the rain indeed! RIP.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2019, 12:32:07 »
 :'(

The kind of news I dont want to read here... RIP

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2019, 12:55:22 »
What a shocker..  Always liked his movies.  RIP Rutger.. :(
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2019, 13:30:57 »
If you want to really remember him?  Go find the film Ladyhawke.  It's a campy sort of 1980s fantasy film with Matthew Broderick, except it's an excellent story concept and Hauer brings a gravitas to the film and character that it really didn't deserve...but damn he sells it. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2019, 14:27:19 »
If you want to really remember him?  Go find the film Ladyhawke.  It's a campy sort of 1980s fantasy film with Matthew Broderick, except it's an excellent story concept and Hauer brings a gravitas to the film and character that it really didn't deserve...but damn he sells it.

Proudly sits in place with my fantasy movie collection.

Great actor. He will be missed.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2019, 14:39:44 »
Same here - of all his performances, Blade Runner and the underappreciated Ladyhawke stand out for me.
If you were a fantasy geek in the early 90s there was no way around Ladyhawke. These days, the market feels over-saturated.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2019, 16:31:54 »

I would add Nighthawks, which is underappreciated.  But you want to see how good he could be?  Find The Legend of the Holy Drinker, a late '80s or early '90s Italian film.  He plays a drunk who is lent much needed money by a benefactor who only asks he one day pays it back to the local church, something the universe seems bent on preventing.  It is a bit of an odd film, sometimes rambling and always just on one side of a dreamworld or the other.  I only saw it once, but Hauer's performance stuck with me thirty-odd years later.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2019, 16:35:08 »
Kingsley, in Galavant is what I remember him most from.  Sad day.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2019, 16:38:12 »
RIP Mr Hauer

I remember him most for Blind Fury, although Split Second, Wedlock, Ladyhawke, and Bladerunnner are also in my collection.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2019, 17:17:32 »
It's too bad he didn't live.

But then again, who does?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2019, 17:50:07 »
Sad news indeed... I'll have to dig Bladerunner and Ladyhawke out of my collection to watch this weekend...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2019, 21:21:42 »
RIP to a legend and master of his craft.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2019, 23:49:14 »
I would add Nighthawks, which is underappreciated.  But you want to see how good he could be?  Find The Legend of the Holy Drinker, a late '80s or early '90s Italian film.  He plays a drunk who is lent much needed money by a benefactor who only asks he one day pays it back to the local church, something the universe seems bent on preventing.  It is a bit of an odd film, sometimes rambling and always just on one side of a dreamworld or the other.  I only saw it once, but Hauer's performance stuck with me thirty-odd years later.

I second Night hawks, and for just pure action, you can't go wrong with Blind fury!

Over on one of my ADND sites, someone mentioned he'd LOVED to have seen Rutger in a Marvel film as one of the baddies..  I am thinking he'd have done a GREAT Victor Von Doom...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2019, 01:07:12 »
His death scene in "Blade Runner" is one the best death scenes ever put to film. RIP Rutger
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2019, 06:26:20 »
It was indeed iconic.  He will be missed.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2019, 08:15:00 »
Ladyhawke is one of my top childhood fantasy movies along with dark crystal.

May he rest in peace. A nice actor with a clear presence in front of a camera.

Xavi

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2019, 19:43:43 »
Never made it as big as he deserved.  Still a legend to those in the know.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 27 July 2019, 10:59:45 »
 :'(  RIP Mr. Rutger Hauer WOW!!  I read it the other day it kind of hit me he gone. The actor who can play great bad guy and great good guy. The one thing that get me is why LadyHawke is never get talk about as good film. Rutger H. ,Matt B. and Michelle P had great chemistry in that film. LadyHawke is my all time fav.  I know Michelle P dose not mention she was in it , I thought she great in it. I see a lot of  film titles he was in but what was the name of the film he was hunting Gene Simmon in ? I have pull some his dvd out to watch. What a bummer.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 27 July 2019, 20:12:39 »
This was the year that Blade Runner was supposed to take place. The coincidence is a little disturbing.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 28 July 2019, 18:03:58 »
This was the year that Blade Runner was supposed to take place. The coincidence is a little disturbing.

Now that you mention... damn... need to see the movie again today.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2019, 18:28:07 »
:'(  RIP Mr. Rutger Hauer WOW!!  I read it the other day it kind of hit me he gone. The actor who can play great bad guy and great good guy. The one thing that get me is why LadyHawke is never get talk about as good film. Rutger H. ,Matt B. and Michelle P had great chemistry in that film. LadyHawke is my all time fav.  I know Michelle P dose not mention she was in it , I thought she great in it. I see a lot of  film titles he was in but what was the name of the film he was hunting Gene Simmon in ? I have pull some his dvd out to watch. What a bummer.

Wanted Dead or Alive