Author Topic: The State of Other Mecha Games  (Read 18271 times)

Charlie 6

• Captain
Re: The State of Other Mecha Games
« Reply #60 on: 02 March 2018, 19:47:11 »
I contacted PB for my swap but haven't heard back.  I doubt they will discount anything they have in stock at their home warehouse.  In 20 days they can't sell it and unless they think backers will jump on a heavy discount, which I doubt given the relationship, then getting what they can while they can might not be a bad approach. After that, take it to the dump...just like I did with all of my Dust Tactics crapolla.

Also, I think they have more core sets on hand than expansions otherwise they would have discounted their inefficient packaging.  The Valkyrie Wing is $25 for two playable figures.  Probably have lots of those laying about.

More on topic, there is Pacific Rim board game in the offing.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #61 on: 02 March 2018, 20:47:17 »
i sent my message the first day, and only just heard back today (i had to adjust my list to, so i'm back to waiting again)

considering how many people pledged, you have to figure that even moving as fast as they can it'll be a few days before everybody's messages are gotten to.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 02 March 2018, 21:20:40 »
Latest update just hit and at least some of my unused business degree from Carnegie Mellon stuck.  Here's a quote, "That said, we have a good supply of the core RRT products, including Cat. No. 55100, the Robotech® RPG Tactics Box Set and expansion packs."  So yeah, PB has a bunch of inventory.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #63 on: 02 March 2018, 21:47:51 »
it's the specialty stuff like dice sets, token packs, and the convention figures they have limited supplies of.

More on topic, there is Pacific Rim board game in the offing.
wonder if it'll be purely PacRim2 stuff or if it'll include the PacRim1 Jaegers and Kaiju.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2018, 21:50:02 by glitterboy2098 »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #64 on: 02 March 2018, 22:39:16 »
After that, take it to the dump...just like I did with all of my Dust Tactics crapolla.

I didn't know there was an issue with Dust. Well, after a quick Google search...holy crap. Yeah, that doesn't look like someone I want to buy from.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #65 on: 03 March 2018, 08:35:25 »
I didn't know there was an issue with Dust. Well, after a quick Google search...holy crap. Yeah, that doesn't look like someone I want to buy from.
Whats the story?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 03 March 2018, 15:41:24 »
Whats the story?
I started to reply with my understanding of the events but to it became too convoluted, too stupid, that I'd rather spend time investigating my roof damage from this week's storm.  I'm sorry.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #67 on: 04 March 2018, 10:46:33 »
Also, I think they have more core sets on hand than expansions otherwise they would have discounted their inefficient packaging.  The Valkyrie Wing is $25 for two playable figures.  Probably have lots of those laying about.

Two playable figures, but six overall models. The Valks have the 3-in-1 thing going.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #68 on: 04 March 2018, 10:47:13 »
Video games have already been mentioned here, so here is a new one: Into the Breach. Turn based mecha action. Was released less than a week ago on Steam. FTL game comes along with it. Buing them now.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #69 on: 04 March 2018, 11:10:11 »
I started to reply with my understanding of the events but to it became too convoluted, too stupid, that I'd rather spend time investigating my roof damage from this week's storm.  I'm sorry.

Well now you've got us really curious.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #70 on: 04 March 2018, 11:49:53 »
Heroclix did some units from Pacific Rim to be used in the game...I wonder if there will be a Pacific Rim 2 update.

They were just the right sized to be used as modified Battletech units.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 04 March 2018, 13:07:52 »
Two playable figures, but six overall models. The Valks have the 3-in-1 thing going.
But unless you are collecting models or willing say no transformation during game play it is still a bad deal.  I did discover last night that because of the way the sprues work you end up with an extra Battloid per box set.  I doubt PB would go through the trouble to breakdown their Valk Expansion stock to send along the extra sprues to make those odd-ball 1-of-3s complete.  However, it would be a nice gesture.
Well now you've got us really curious.
I'm honestly not trying to be obtuse.  There were lies, dumb ideas, unfunded rewards, mistrust, charges of theft and duplicity, a slip-shod substitute of a desert well, critical game items (i.e., dice) provided in the final mailing rather than initially with the actual rules and minis, and pain.  I just don't remember "the who did what when," and despite this being the internet wouldn't want to mislead any of you.  I met a few of the Battlefront folks at a convention and they were pained/embarrassed even to address it.  They did though.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 04 March 2018, 13:27:33 »
Maybe its supposed to be a proxy for the R version that's supposed to be an add-on since all you do is change the head?

But unless you are collecting models or willing say no transformation during game play it is still a bad deal.  I did discover last night that because of the way the sprues work you end up with an extra Battloid per box set.  I doubt PB would go through the trouble to breakdown their Valk Expansion stock to send along the extra sprues to make those odd-ball 1-of-3s complete.  However, it would be a nice gesture.I'm honestly not trying to be obtuse.  There were lies, dumb ideas, unfunded rewards, mistrust, charges of theft and duplicity, a slip-shod substitute of a desert well, critical game items (i.e., dice) provided in the final mailing rather than initially with the actual rules and minis, and pain.  I just don't remember "the who did what when," and despite this being the internet wouldn't want to mislead any of you.  I met a few of the Battlefront folks at a convention and they were pained/embarrassed even to address it.  They did though.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 04 March 2018, 13:57:01 »
Maybe its supposed to be a proxy for the R version that's supposed to be an add-on since all you do is change the head?
That's a thought.  I need to raid the free files on DriveThruRPG for the Valk instructions to see.  A quick look at the sprue discourages me along that approach.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #74 on: 05 March 2018, 04:45:55 »

You can use it for that, or any number of mods. It's the odd Bot out, and I put it to good use, though not in the RRT aspect.

But, since RRT is kinda wysiwyg, you'd have to do that R variant for your fighter and gerwalk modes, too.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #75 on: 05 March 2018, 07:01:07 »
That's a thought.  I need to raid the free files on DriveThruRPG for the Valk instructions to see.  A quick look at the sprue discourages me along that approach.

Do it soon; at the end of March those files are going away.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #76 on: 05 March 2018, 07:09:56 »
Is Dust biting the Dust?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #77 on: 05 March 2018, 15:53:58 »
Is Dust biting the Dust?

Dust just got (another) release as DUST 1947. It's the Palladium Robotech RPG files on Drive-Thru RPG that I was referring to; at the end of March, they will not longer be available for sale.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 05 March 2018, 17:14:11 »
Do it soon; at the end of March those files are going away.
I grabbed everything free yesterday.  Unfortunately, the painting guides are corrupted and won't open.  I am mulling paying for the RPG PDFs that I think I have but have pulled from a box in years.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: 06 March 2018, 05:56:06 »
There are two more games that I know of.

The first is from Two Hour Wargames and it is called 5150 : No Quarter Mecha Combat
I dont own it and it is based on their All Things Zombie game system.

The other is Armor Grid: Mech Attack
I own it but I never played it.
You have to print those mechs and cutting the paper yourself and just the cutting looks like its for people who can wield a scalpel with ease.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 26 March 2018, 20:44:08 »
So after three weeks I can offer the following on Robotech:

From up North on the boards, HG has licensed three board games: https://www.japanimegames.com/posts/press-release-defend-the-universe-with-three-new-robotech-games

Personally, I have heard back from Palladium on my Backer exchange.  Essentially, they stated that I'm in their queue but I haven't received a shipping cost four days later.  In the interim they sent out a note indicating those backers that don't respond to a shipping cost within five days will have their exchange restocked.  So, I just sent them a prod before starting this post and received a prompt response.  Bizarre.  Also, on the bizarre scale is the price fiddling they are executing during their liquidation sale.

I did raid their store when the discounts started and today received two super VTs and some other stuff.  Hey, I added a unit for a game I might never play.  I also managed to resolve the corrupted paint scheme PDF fiasco from DriveThruRPG (whom I don't blame).

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #81 on: 31 March 2018, 20:27:20 »
Today is the last day of the Palladium Robotech RPG. After today, it is no more.

I do want to say a few words here outside of the mess that was Tactics and the ongoing HG vs PGI/HBS/everyone under the sun suit. This still hits me in the feels a little. Palaldium's Robotech RPG wass my very first actual Role Playing Game experience. It was also the first RPG that I owned, and the first I tried to run. As horribly flawed as it was, it still holds a special place for me.

More to the point, the RPG was key to keeping the Robotech franchise alive during the lean years of the ninties. When there was no Robotech media outside of comic books (With depressingly low readership at that), the RPG maintained a solid core audience that continued running games. There was a massive outpouring of fan material for the RPG on the internet during the ninties, with people doing their best to hacksaw convert various Robot designs, fill in the gaps and add to the world.

Now I'm not condoning the way Palladium has run things, and I;m not making excuses for the train wreck that was Tactics. What I am saying is that it has had a long lasting legacy and impact, and that I will miss it in its own, strange way.

Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #82 on: 31 March 2018, 20:56:37 »
As a wise man once said, "it's okay to like bad things." The Robotech RPG was a ludicrous kludge of a game. Remember, it was based on the Palladium Fantasy RPG, which itself was heavily based on AD&D 1st edition! The books looked awful, from the type of paper, through the horrendous typewriter font, and to the densely-packed two-column format. The art varied wildly, from great pieces (provided, no doubt, by Harmony Gold) to barely one step above child's scrawls. Books were late, almost randomly priced at times, and riddled with errors. On top of everything, those of us who knew of Palladium's shenanigans always felt a bit weird giving them money.

But...it was a glorious mess. And unlike other scifi franchises, like Star Wars and Trek, we never had to worry about some other company suddenly getting the license and us having to learn a whole new system. It was bad, but I liked it.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 31 March 2018, 21:02:38 »
In other mecha game news:  GKR Heavy Hitters is pretty fun.  And its terrain looks great.  I tried a game using the Heavy Hitters boardgame pieces as Alpha Strike terrain and wasn't disappointed.

In even better news, after having played Heavy Hitters a couple times I can say the game in of itself is pretty fun, too!

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #84 on: 31 March 2018, 21:05:22 »
I stopped by the FLGS on Wednesday to grab a couple more 1/2 off C.A.V. miniatures. The owner asked if I wanted to buy the rest of what he had for a buck each. Yep. So I ended up with 32 packs. A few were older pewter infantry figures and a couple were vehicle packs so I ended up with a bunch of new miniatures, just in time for Kickstarter 2 to ship.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #85 on: 31 March 2018, 21:51:13 »
Thanks for that, ColBosch. 98% chance I'm going to shed a single tear
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #86 on: 31 March 2018, 21:57:57 »
The first edition of Palladium's Robotech was my first introduction to both RPGs and Giant robot games, way back when I was eight. Without that, I wouldn't have my massive battletech habit, or my RPG habit.

It's surprisingly difficult to process.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #87 on: 31 March 2018, 22:41:19 »
*nod*

Palladium always has had a special love/hate relationship with me.  Never met a system of theirs that didn't seem needlessly confusing and often times incomplete, certainly so poorly laid out to give that impression at least, but somehow we still had fun and that is the important part.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 01 April 2018, 13:17:25 »
I was thrilled to discover the Robotech RPG back in 1987 and was full of nostalgia for Tactics. I have likely spent more in the Kickstarter liquidation sale than I should have.  If Palladium had been smart they would have come clean while they still had time to regenerate some good faith.  For example, custom Rick Hunter, Roy Fokker, and Khyron add-on exclusives could have been covered by sending out the Valkyrie Wing and Glaug expansions to backers while pointing out that each custom add-on only makes the game more expensive.  So lets call it even and focus on making things work.

Anyway, Palladium pulled my first message and waited through three to four prompting messages and adjusted orders from me to ignore my adjustments. So, I ended up with an extra book I don't need and had to go back to the liquidation sale once more than needed.  Oh well.

I can confirm that the game models are a pain to put together.

Is anyone going in on the Pacific Rim game?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #89 on: 06 April 2018, 22:03:08 »
There's a Pacific Rim game?

Speaking of which, I just watched the sequel film. 2nd week and there were only 7 people in the theatre, but it was a pretty good movie! Everyone seems to have slept on it after Del Toro pulled out of directing, and that's just a damn shame.....